I hate you Hollywood!

Winter

I've been here before
So I went and saw the new Conan movie yesterday. Hey, I had nothing better to do!

I'm going to take back a lot of what I said about this being a sucky remake of the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie with Arnold. In fact, this movie is instead based on the Conan series of books created by Robert Howard in the 1930's! A series of books I absolutely loved as a kid in the 70's and 80's!

While not following any one particular story that I can recall (haven't looked them up yet) It has elements from several including my favorite, Conan the Pirate. The story contains all of the classic Conan elements, massive amounts of gore and nudity combined with few words from the barbarian. His character can be summed up when he says, "I live, I love, I slay, I am content." (He does not, however, punch a camel in this movie) My real question is where they found so many actresses with perfect breasts! LOL

I have to say, I was surprised and entertained. I would recommend this movie. Oh yeah, and Stan Lee has sued the movie makers for 100% of the profits because he owns the rights to Howard's Conan character! ;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I was hoping that the story followed the books and not a tired remake of the original movie . I may have to go see it now .

Stan Lee owns the right's to the Conan character , huh , I did not know that !? Seems this would be something the producers , movie studio and their lawyers would have looked into .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
So I went and saw the new Conan movie yesterday. Hey, I had nothing better to do!

I'm going to take back a lot of what I said about this being a sucky remake of the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie with Arnold. In fact, this movie is instead based on the Conan series of books created by Robert Howard in the 1930's! A series of books I absolutely loved as a kid in the 70's and 80's!

While not following any one particular story that I can recall (haven't looked them up yet) It has elements from several including my favorite, Conan the Pirate. The story contains all of the classic Conan elements, massive amounts of gore and nudity combined with few words from the barbarian. His character can be summed up when he says, "I live, I love, I slay, I am content." (He does not, however, punch a camel in this movie) My real question is where they found so many actresses with perfect breasts! LOL

I have to say, I was surprised and entertained. I would recommend this movie. Oh yeah, and Stan Lee has sued the movie makers for 100% of the profits because he owns the rights to Howard's Conan character! ;)
I have to ask , do you still hate Hollywood though ?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Gabriel: You know what the problem with Hollywood is? They make shit. Unbelievable, unremarkable shit. Now I'm not some grungy wannabe filmmaker that's searching for existentialism through a haze of bong smoke or something. No, it's easy to pick apart bad acting, short-sighted directing, and a purely moronic stringing together of words that many of the studios term as "prose". No, I'm talking about the lack of realism. Realism; not a pervasive element in today's modern American cinematic vision. Take Dog Day Afternoon, for example. Arguably Pacino's best work, short of Scarface and Godfather Part 1, of course. Masterpiece of directing, easily Lumet's best. The cinematography, the acting, the screenplay, all top-notch. But... they didn't push the envelope. Now what if in Dog Day, Sonny wanted to get away with it, REALLY wanted to get away with it? What if - now here's the tricky part - what if he started killing hostages right away? No mercy, no quarter. "Meet our demands or the pretty blonde in the bellbottoms gets it the back of the head." Bam, splat! What, still no bus? Come on! How many innocent victims splattered across a window would it take to have the city reverse its policy on hostage situations? And this is 1976; there's no CNN, there's no CNBC, there's no internet! Now fast forward to today, present time, same situation. How quickly would the modern media make a frenzy over this? In a matter of hours, it'd be biggest story from Boston to Budapest! Ten hostages die, twenty, thirty; bam bam, right after another, all caught in high-def, computer-enhanced, color corrected. You can practically taste the brain matter. All for what? A bus, a plane? A couple of million dollars that's federally insured? I don't think so. Just a thought. I mean, it's not within the realm of conventional cinema... but what if?