I want to join.

Don

Greetings, After going back and forth for several years, I've decided to join the Freemasons. My Grandfather was a Mason, and both paternal and fraternal grandmothers were members of the Eastern Star. As a former police officer, I miss the comradeship of belonging to a fraternal organization. My only question, which I want to ask here in a general forum, and not my soon to be sponsor is, what is the average age of a Freemason now? I'm 49 years old and wonder if the membership is generally much older than that. I know to truly learn I'd have to check with the actual lodge I'm applying to for their demographics, but in general terms, is the brotherhood getting younger?
Aside from that, I'm looking forward to a life of learning and fulfillment.

Oh yeah, when do I get my key to the treasure room? ;)
(Sorry, I saw that in another post and couldn't resist! :D)

Derric

I'm not a Mason....yet, but here's my advice:

Your grandfather being a Mason is a great start. One of the first things about being a Mason is that you have to know one for at least a year, so they can vouch for your character. If I were you, I'd tell the grandfather that I want to join.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Greetings, After going back and forth for several years, I've decided to join the Freemasons. My Grandfather was a Mason, and both paternal and fraternal grandmothers were members of the Eastern Star. As a former police officer, I miss the comradeship of belonging to a fraternal organization. My only question, which I want to ask here in a general forum, and not my soon to be sponsor is, what is the average age of a Freemason now? I'm 49 years old and wonder if the membership is generally much older than that. I know to truly learn I'd have to check with the actual lodge I'm applying to for their demographics, but in general terms, is the brotherhood getting younger?
Aside from that, I'm looking forward to a life of learning and fulfillment.

Oh yeah, when do I get my key to the treasure room? ;)
(Sorry, I saw that in another post and couldn't resist! :D)

There is really no average age , we have them come into my lodge anywhere from 21 to men in their 60's . Some wait till they have retired before they join the Fraternity so they have more time to dedicate to it . Just 2 weeks ago we Initiated two gentlemen , one in his 50's and another who was 20 . Age does not matter , and one does not know when the time is right for him to become a Freemason .

Best of luck .

Don

I'm not a Mason....yet, but here's my advice:

Your grandfather being a Mason is a great start. One of the first things about being a Mason is that you have to know one for at least a year, so they can vouch for your character. If I were you, I'd tell the grandfather that I want to join.
Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away in 1988.

There is really no average age , we have them come into my lodge anywhere from 21 to men in their 60's . Some wait till they have retired before they join the Fraternity so they have more time to dedicate to it . Just 2 weeks ago we Initiated two gentlemen , one in his 50's and another who was 20 . Age does not matter , and one does not know when the time is right for him to become a Freemason .

Best of luck .
Thanks for the response. Actually, I was kind of surprised that there were members as young as 20.

The last 10 or so to join our lodge have all been under 45 years (youngest being 21). Our lodge was aging somewhat, but there is a pretty good balance of less than, greater than 50.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Our lodge membership ranges from 19 - 90+, the mean age of our membership is currently around 55 y/o. I was master in '03 & '04, and I was 29 when I was master, we had members that came in at 18, and members that came in at 65.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks for the response. Actually, I was kind of surprised that there were members as young as 20.

My Grand lodge lowered it's minimum age to 18 last year. The 20 year old is the youngest man thus far to have ever been Initiated into my lodge . And when my neighbor's (who is a member of my lodge) son turns 18 , he is planning on petitioning the lodge .

Deadhead Derek

Our Lodge ranges from 18 to 84. our last 4 Initiates were in their 50's, teens, 30's and 20's. I think there is a trend towards younger men looking to the Fraternity Good luck on your journey, and see you in the treasure room...

cemab4y

Your profile says you are in Maryland. The average age varies, but you should have no difficulty at all. You should join the lodge nearest your residence, but you will have visitation privileges in all lodges around the world.

I suggest that you visit:

Approaching A Lodge for Membership

rescue48

Firedawg
As some have stated; and as I have read in recent Masonic papers, there is somewhat of a spike in men of around your age joining the fraternity. Due to retirement, and having more time. I'm 38 and just recently raised. I went through all three degrees with younger men beside me too. So it's very much a mixed lot. Don't worry about age.

Join because you want to. Nothing else matters, other than you wanting to enlighten yourself and you being an upright man in your community.

Don

Hello again my brothers and friends. It's been a long time since I last visited this forum. I had the petition since mid 2008. I was ready to turn it in to the lodge when my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Knowing that becoming a Mason required a time committment, I held my petition. My mom died in April 2009. I had a heart attack shortly thereafter, Memorial day, 2009. It was a wake up, but I completely recovered with no heart damage. Also back in late summer 2008 I started a new job. Being the manager I was committed to getting the contract up and running. While I still had my petition, I again put things on the back burner.
Finally, in early August 2010, I submitted my petition. Shortly thereafter, my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My dad died December 15 2010. I was interviewed in mid January and accepted.
On Tuesday the 22nd I was initiated into my lodge and received my first degree.
It has been a long journey for me to get here, but I'm very proud to be in this place.

Don

Brother....first of all I send my deepest sympathies for your loss..... and I also congratulate you on your journey into FM.....
Thank you, and my intent wasn't to tell everyone about the downs I've had, it was just to explain why my trip here took over three years. That being said, thank you again for the congratulations. I accept in the spirit it was given.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Hello again my brothers and friends. It's been a long time since I last visited this forum. (snip)
[from the NC Lodge Manual by Charles Bahnson]
"Your frequent appearance at our regular meetings is earnestly solicited, yet it is not meant that Masonry should interfere with your other duties, for these are on no account to be neglected."

You did right, my Brother; maybe you were already a Mason in your heart.

S&F

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Congrats on your entrance into the fraternity, and as Bro. Bob eluded to. You are not to forsake your family and usual vocation for the sake of freemasonry. Congrats again, and welcome back to the forums. I would also like to offer my sympathies also for your personal strifes.

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
Well, I once came to a Lodge Meeting with my Grandfather, Worshipful Brother Bob Gilley of John W. Durst Lodge, Dayton, OH. During the meeting, the SD, came over and said to him, "This is your grandson? Boy, we're getting old."

wisniewskim

Don, here in PA a great thing is happening. Two or three years ago average age was in the 70s. Recently it is closer to 49. We are seeing a bunch of younger guys joining (I am 63), and it is great. Lots of new ideas coming our way.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The youngest Mason that I know just got his temps for his motorcycle, I believe his is 18, the oldest I have met is Patrick, he makes dirt look young. :D

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]...what is the average age of a Freemason now? [snip]
Yesterday evening I had a conversation with Willie Boitnott, PM of New Carlisle Lodge #100(?), in Ohio. I knew WB Willie waited until his mature years to petition, but he told me he's 86 now, Raised in 1996! And then, went through the officers' chairs!

He gave me a nice touch hole pick, with a forged S&C on the loop of it. He's an artificer, or cunning worker in metals...
I wondered why he asked me 3 times if I shot flint!

S&F

Don

When I was initiated there were 3 of us. I was the oldest at 50. The others were 30 and 27.
When I stood for my first degree catechism there were 7 of us:
76, 50 (me), 36, 27, 45, 33, 47.
Since we have received 8 additional petitions that ranged in age from 25 to 75.
I'm happy to report that Freemasonry is alive and well in Maryland and growing with new blood. Many of those my age and younger, interestingly have the same story. Their grandfathers and extended family from that generation were Masons. Their fathers were not. No explanation for the trend.
I just posted our facebook page in the "My Lodge" section of the forum. Check out the collage from our lodge picnic to get an idea of how young our membership is. As a hint, we had a moon bounce and a face painter there (my daughter actually ;))