Important people always tend to be masons, why?

HarrisonK

How come some of the most important people in the country are freemasons? Both Bush's, Obama (I believe), George Washington, I think even Ben Bernanke are all freemasons. Besides for powerful people like these, it seems like a lot of law enforcement and other people of authority are all masons. Why is this?

Hm, not sure that either Bush is a Mason, nor Obama.

But to your point, Masons are driven to become better men and inspired to excel, reach new levels, and to lead in a world of progress. People like that do not confine their inspiration to one part of life, it comes out in leadership.

Men that become Masons are people that want to make a positive difference in the world...or their own little slice of it....with that said, we have some not so bright stars in Masonry too..... Benedict Arnold comes to mind...

Both Bush's, Obama (I believe),

The Bush"s were both Yale Bonesmen, but not Freemasons. Neither is Obama. But Omar Bongo, former president of Gabon was. Ok, that name is just too fun to say not to post:)

I believe it should be noted that John (Marion Morrison) Wayne was a Mason....I know it has no bearing on the OP...I just think the Duke is awesome...

HarrisonK

Both Bush's, Obama (I believe),

The Bush"s were both Yale Bonesmen, but not Freemasons. Neither is Obama. But Omar Bongo, former president of Gabon was. Ok, that name is just too fun to say not to post:)
I guess this is a different question but I thought one had to be a freemason to be a bonesman.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I believe it should be noted that John (Marion Morrison) Wayne was a Mason....I know it has no bearing on the OP...I just think the Duke is awesome...
John Hannah, hall of fame guard for the New England Patriots is a mason.
Bro. Gerald R. Ford 33rd was our last mason president
These all prove my point but don't quite answer my question.

So, back to topic. :rolleyes: :eek:

How does masonry play such an important role with people of power? Or is this just a coincidence?

G

Gary

You don't have to be a Freemason to belong to Skull and Bones. You get "tapped" at Yale for that.

While what appears similar between their fraternity and ours, couldn't be more different. Skull and Bones is known for "power networking" among the popular, rich and famous. That fraternity has no real moral code or virtue.

Freemasonry on the other hand has men who happen to get popular, or seek political office. For the same reasons previously stated. They want to make a positive difference in the world.

Masonry doesnt play a role in "making" important people....people that strive to become better and better the world just happen to be drawn to masonry...the qualities of a mason tend to bring out the best in a man

PS:....I forgot one VERY important mason...ME :)

TrowelTalk

Asked and answered, but I'll try and put it in my own words...

The principles of Freemasonry are designed to build character, leadership, morals and ethics. People who are inclined to value these principles tend to be attracted to masonry; AND such people tend to be successful in whatever they do in life. Some are famous, some not; but ALL are significant!

The motto of the fraternity is "Making Good Men Better."

Winter

I've been here before
True, Freemasonry does attract intelligent and driven men who leave their mark on the world and their contribution cannot be overlooked. But for every President or movie star, or other named personage, there are hundreds of Brothers who's contribution is just being good, honest and decent men.

As for why this is, my belief is that men that feel the way we do go searching. For some, it is the desire to know and associate with others like us since we do not always find those with the same values in our daily lives. For others, they may have a feeling that there is more they can be doing in their daily lives and go searching for a way to do that. For the lucky ones, they happen on the Craft and hopefully find what they are looking for.

Others have read of the accomplishments of great men and see the common thread that binds them and want to be a part of it, to feel connected to the greatness.

IMHO, there are so many great names throughout history that have the epithat of Freemason because we attract and breed a certain type of individual. Commitment, Service, Duty, Sacrifice, Honor, Integrity, and a sure knowledge of the importance in a belief in the Divine.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I find we are all important people , it may not be on a world stage , but we are all important in our communities , our lodges , amoung our friends and families .

When it comes to all the "famous" , "well known" or so-called important people who are Freemasons , I will say this , if you look at us on a Lodge level you will find that Freemasonry is ran on the backs of us Average Joes . We keep the doors open , we keep up the buildings upkeep , we make other Freemasons , we are the ones that are there every time the doors are open , working the charity events , mentoring new Masons . We are the backbone and the life blood of Freemasonry .

Sorry , just trying to put another spin on it .

Ashlar, I couldnt agree more, the couple of "famous" masons from my area never come to Lodge.... it is you, I and all the other "Joe Masons" that make the fraternity what it is...

CanadianBrother

Of course Canada has it's share of famous Masons as well. John A. MacDonald our first Prime Minister, Dr. James Naismith inventor of Basketball, and of course my favourite as displayed in my avatar. John Molson founder of Canada's oldest and most famous brewery.

AngelicHuman

These are complete answers harrison.

I think that a man that will again..."strive" to be a better man will indeed be a better man.

I am not a mason harrison, however, I am on the path to better myself.

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
I guess this is a different question but I thought one had to be a freemason to be a bonesman.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.

These all prove my point but don't quite answer my question.

So, back to topic. :rolleyes: :eek:

How does masonry play such an important role with people of power? Or is this just a coincidence?
It IS just coincidence. CTs (Conspiracy Theorists) just LOVE to make all the people in power Freemasons. I'm sure they would say Hosni Mubarak is a Freemason, and that the people of Egypt are standing up against Masonic domination, just so that they get more people irrationally scared of nothing. It's quite sad, really. When I think of "Conspiracy Theorist", I imagine morbidly obese men, sitting at computers in their mother's basement, typing up bullmess they believe to be true.

AngelicHuman

It IS just coincidence. CTs (Conspiracy Theorists) just LOVE to make all the people in power Freemasons. I'm sure they would say Hosni Mubarak is a Freemason, and that the people of Egypt are standing up against Masonic domination, just so that they get more people irrationally scared of nothing. It's quite sad, really. When I think of "Conspiracy Theorist", I imagine morbidly obese men, sitting at computers in their mother's basement, typing up bullmess they believe to be true.

You guys can not put a stereotype on Conspiracy Theorists. Imagining them to be obese and sit out the computer all day is a form of what they are saying about freemasonry. While I do not agree with conspiracy theorists, I dont picture them as bad people. Ive not come in contact with many conspiracy theorists, but the ones I have met were rather thin, and more hard working people. I do see how they are confused. They just need better direction. What I feel the freemasons should be doing is focusing more on helping them understand what freemasonry is about, and bringing up the fact that their are some apples that tend to go bad every once in a while. Just like any organization, there is always 1 person that affects reputation. Its almost a law of nature

Robert Birtch

DeMolay/Freemason
You guys can not put a stereotype on Conspiracy Theorists. Imagining them to be obese and sit out the computer all day is a form of what they are saying about freemasonry. While I do not agree with conspiracy theorists, I dont picture them as bad people. Ive not come in contact with many conspiracy theorists, but the ones I have met were rather thin, and more hard working people. I do see how they are confused. They just need better direction. What I feel the freemasons should be doing is focusing more on helping them understand what freemasonry is about, and bringing up the fact that their are some apples that tend to go bad every once in a while. Just like any organization, there is always 1 person that affects reputation. Its almost a law of nature
Well, it's an impression I get from my mother, who has a facebook friend who is a conspiracy theorist. He firmly believes Masons worship Satan, the Devil, Baphomet, Beelzebub, or any of the other 100 names for the same malevolent deity, and he shuts out anyone who tries to convince him otherwise, simply because they challenge his worldview.