In My Early Steps of Becoming a Mason

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Greetings Everyone,

I am not a Mason right now, but I have been interested in Masonry and researched it for about ten years now. I am currently twenty-five years old. I have waited until now to begin my journey in Masonry because I wanted to prepare and improve my mind and lifestyle for petitioning. I believe that now I have reached a social, mental, and emotional level that will allow me to be a worthy candidate to enter such a historic and meaningful society. I do not personally know any Masons, but I do have several lodges in the Pittsburgh area that I plan to visit in the near future to determine which one I will be petitioning at. To this point, I have not read any posts from Masons in the Pittsburgh area, but if someone can direct me to Masons in the Pittsburgh area, I will be eternally grateful. I appreciate any help and advice from all of you. I hope to be joining you in brotherhood in the near future. Thank you, and it is a pleasure to meet all of you. Take care.

Kevin Craig
Pittsburgh, PA

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The best of luck to you . You have a great attitiude and you will make a fine Mason indeed . You being from Pa. , I think BG_TRBL can point you in the right direction in the correct procedures in obtaining a petition , seeing how it is not my jurisdiction . If you have any more questions you may wish to ask , we will be more than happy to answer .

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Thank You For Your Assistance

Thank you for the information, Ashlar. I have decided on the lodge I plan to petition at (North Hills Lodge # 716), and there is a stated meeting tonight. I plan on stopping by on my way home from work to speak with a member or two for a few minutes before the meeting. I hope to get my petition tonight. I hope to post some positive updates in the near future. I am quite excited. I have looked forward to this for some time now. Wish me luck as I begin my journey. Thank you again.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
My apologies for my delayed response. I am happy to hear your interest and investigation into our venerable institution. You have done the greatest thing you could have done to join a lodge, you took it upon yourself to stop at a lodge and meet some new people. Congratulations, on your dilegence and strong desire to improve your status prior to joining our fraternity. If you are true in your heart, it matter little to the fraternity what social status you come from.
Also, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any further questions, please ask, and I hope we can answer them.

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Meeting With Two Masons This Week

Last week, I visited the Lodge, met a few Masons, and received my petition. I contacted two Masons in my home town, and we have set up a time this week that they will come to my home to meet me and sign my petition. I was surprised to find out that I did, in fact, know these men, but never had an idea that they were Masons. I am excited to sit down and speak with them in more detail about the Lodge and Masonry. I do have one question regarding this meeting. I am aware that there is no alcohol served in Masonic lodges, and I understand the reasoning behind this policy. Obviously I plan to be a good host and offer these men a drink. Should I offer just non-alcoholic beverages, or would it be acceptable to offer a beer? Any other suggestions regarding etiquette would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to reading your thoughts. Take care.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Coffee , water or a soft drink should suffice . To be honest , I have never gave that much thought . Also , this is not my jurisdiction so I can really not give the proper answer , I will once again refer you to BG_TRBL . But I can say , be yourself , be honest and upfront with your answers . And if you are married , see if your wife wishes to be involved (if they allow this in Pa. that is) , the men on the investigation committee can answer any question or elleviate any fears she may have also .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
They certainly do allow the women and family members to be present during our investigations. When I go to do an investigation, I specifically ask that they be involved if they are able. This gives them an opportunity to ask whatever questions and concerns they have as well. We all try to be as straight-forward as possible, very few things can not be discussed. As far as the beverages, you can certainly offer anything to them, I would assume however that they would decline an alcoholic beverage, not because they can't drink, but most consider it an "official" duty, and will conduct themselves accordingly. Hope this answers your question.

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Initial Meeting With Local Masons

Unfortunately, the local Masons I was to meet with last week were unable to find a good day to come meet with me. However, we have decided to meet tomorrow at their business building to discuss my future in Masonry. I am married, and I have asked to wife to join me for the meeting. She is very interested in joining the local Eastern Star should I be accepted at the Lodge, so the meeting should interest her as well as give her an opportunity to ask questions.

I have one last question before my meeting. What would appropriate clothing be for the meeting? I will be going to the meeting after work, and I wear the usual business casual attire to work: Docker's pants and a button down collared shirt. Is this appropriate enough, or would you suggest something different? I realize I am getting very particular with the questions, but I do not want to show up and be extremely over or under dressed. The Masons I am meeting own an auto repair shop, and an insurance claim investigation service, and we will be meeting at the repair shop. I have done business with these men during the ten years I have been driving, and they have known my father for many years. There is a little background information, if that will help you determine what you believe I should expect as far as clothing.

Thank you all for your advice regarding my questions. I apologize for not responding sooner, but I was on a trip to visit my brother in North Carolina, and did not have time to check the internet. I do appreciate the time that all of you have taken to help me. I will post again once I have more news regarding my journey. Thanks again. I look forward to reading your responses. Take care.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Casual dress, just as you have described it will be quite sufficient. There is no need to "dress up" and actually anything that you find comfortable, would also be sufficient. One thing that freemasons don't regard is the clothing, contrary to the beloved saying, clothes do not make the man. What is inside and in your heart is what we are looking for.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I concur with BG_TRBL . I am also glad to hear that your wife is interested in the OES . My wife , Mother , Mother-in-law and myself are all members and we love it . Next year I will be the Worthy Patron and my Mother-in-law will be the Worthy Matron of our Chapter .

And to think you can be both inducted into the OES together , makes it more special .

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Thank You For The Advice

Thank you both for the advice regarding my previous question. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with a Mason last night. It was a very positive and encouraging discussion. He took my petition, and will be delivering it to the Lodge today. I look forward to the next step, meeting the investigation committee. I hope to hear from them within a few weeks. The Lodge I am petitioning to does not have regular meetings during July and August, so I am hoping to meet with the investigation committee before the regular meeting in June, so my petition can be balloted before the summer break. However, I will be patient. I am just excited to get started, if accepted.

I have yet another question. Along with my petition, I included a check for the membership fee. I assume that the check will not be deposited until I am balloted for and accepted into the lodge. Is this assumption correct? I forgot to ask this last night. I just want to know when I should expect to see this money be debited from my account. You can probably tell that I am an accountant who is borderline OCD with balancing accounts. Anyways, any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

As I said earlier, I am very hopeful and excited to get started with my Lodge. I will be proud to be able to contribute to Masonry. Thank you all for your advice and responses. I appreciate your assistance. You have certainly helped me to feel more comfortable with the experiences I have had to this point. I look forward to speaking with you all in more detail as my journey continues. Thanks again. Take care.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In my jurisdiction , we hold the check/money until you are balloted upon . If you pass the ballot , we cash the check/keep the money . If you are blackballed , we give it back . But this is my lodge mind you , it may be different in Pa .

But congrats on turning in your petition , best of luck .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
In my jurisdiction , we hold the check/money until you are balloted upon . If you pass the ballot , we cash the check/keep the money . If you are blackballed , we give it back . But this is my lodge mind you , it may be different in Pa .

But congrats on turning in your petition , best of luck .
That is how we work in our lodge as well. It is normally taken and held until you are balloted upon and accepted. We have even had the occasion of receiving the check for initiation when the canidate arrives for his entered apprentice degree.

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Awaiting My Investigation

Greetings All,

This past Thursday, the Masons who first met with me and signed my petition delivered it to the Lodge. I am still waiting to hear when the investigative committee will be coming to meet with me and my wife. I was told that the Lodge to which I petitioned does not meet during July and August, thus I am slightly worried that I may not hear from anyone for two more months. In general, how common is it to call a meeting outside of the regular monthly meetings in order to discuss new candidates? I would love to get started sooner than September, so I may begin my degree work during the summer months, but I will remain patient should I have to wait. Any information or words of wisdom will be appreciated, as always. Thank you, again, for your time. Take care.

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." - Benjamin Franklin

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Greetings All,

This past Thursday, the Masons who first met with me and signed my petition delivered it to the Lodge. I am still waiting to hear when the investigative committee will be coming to meet with me and my wife. I was told that the Lodge to which I petitioned does not meet during July and August, thus I am slightly worried that I may not hear from anyone for two more months. In general, how common is it to call a meeting outside of the regular monthly meetings in order to discuss new candidates? I would love to get started sooner than September, so I may begin my degree work during the summer months, but I will remain patient should I have to wait. Any information or words of wisdom will be appreciated, as always. Thank you, again, for your time. Take care.

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." - Benjamin Franklin
Depending upon when the regular stated meeting takes place during the month. However, knowing that there are still things to be done, you will not be participating over the next two months. I realize that you are eager to begin, however, I would anticipate that it will be October before anything happens for you to participate in (at the lodge). There will be some preliminary things that need to be done yet. It is very unusual for a lodge to call a special meeting for balloting on perspective members, they are normally reserved for degree work and special events. Sorry to dissappoint, but I would guess that would be the case in this instance.
Best regards, and continue your patience.

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Update

Greetings All,

Well, after over a month of anxiously waiting to hear something from the Lodge that I petitioned to, I have yet to receive a phone call informing me of any action. As I mentioned earlier, the Lodge does not meet during July and August, so I have not been expecting much news. However, today I see that my membership check that I included with my petition has been cashed. I am hoping that this is a good sign, and that some action has been taken in considering my petition. Is it too soon for me to assume anything?

A second question: My wife and I have recently decided to purchase a new home that is on the other side of Pittsburgh. Although it is not a problem to travel from the south-west side to the north side of Pittsburgh for regular meetings, I am wondering if it is possible and/or common to petition to one Lodge, and attend the regular meetings at another. Any suggestions on what I should do about this? Should I assume that I will be making the commute to regular meetings? This will not affect my ability to be active, more of a curious question.

Thank you, in advance, for your help. I always look forward to the responses I receive from the experienced members here. Take care.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
kcraig,
It is not uncommon to petition, join, and call one lodge your "home" lodge, and attend the regular meetings at another lodge. It will become your decision as to how active you elect to be. If you plan on becoming very active and pursue a line officer's position (after you have been accepted, and receive degrees). Then you would want to consider your status in the lodge of your choice, and become most active in that lodge. You cannot hold an officers position in a lodge other than your own in PA. Just food for thought is all. It has no bearing if you are a member of another lodge attending the meeting of another lodge after you have recieved your degrees. Hope this helps with your curiosity.

kcraig1011

32° Scottish Rite
Petition Approved

Well, after waiting three full months, I had my meeting with the interview committee two weeks ago, and my petition approved last week. I will be initiated on October 15th of this year. I was incredibly excited, and somewhat nervous, when I received the notice of acceptance in the mail. Having only graduated from college three years ago, and having sent out many resumes in the time after, I found out that getting a letter in the mail instead of a phone call is usually a negative sign. To my delight, this was not the case this time. Now the anxiety of petitioning is over, and ony excitement to begin the journey remains.

I have been checking and reading this forum at least five days a week since I joined in May. I was very happy to see the amount of activity over the weekend, other than the annoying spam that was posted today. I was also interested reading the discussion on whether EA's and FC's should wear certain symbols. Although I am excited to have the privilege of being able to sport these symbols, I thoroughly agreed with Ashlar's opinion. I will continue my thoughts on this discussion on that thread. But I have really enjoyed this forum, and am very pleased with the help and insight it has given to me. Thank you all for your help, and I will continue to check in and contribute as is appropriate. Take care.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Congratulations ! You aregoing to love it . I wish I could come up your way to be there , last time I was in Pittsburgh was on the Monongahela river on a towboat .