Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I dont anything that requires ironing

• No

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWS

As with washing dishes, I find ironing to be therapeutic...I look forward to ironing a dozen shirts every Sunday!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I ironed my Whites in the Navy, but rarely anything since.
I voted 'nothing requiring ironing,' but actually iron and starch a linen apron once in a while that I keep in the official apron case, for funerals and the like.
Otherwise, I don't have anything needing ironing.

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
I'm wearing my BDU's at work right now that I keep ironed within an inch of their life.

jaya

I will iron some things. Most of my dress shirts I send out. Suits I send out for dry cleaning.I have also started buying Jos A Bank Traveler shirts that are non wrinkle. The are some of the best that I have seen and only require minor touch up ironing if anything.

I iron my shirts/pants and the wife's as well....suit (yes I meant it in the singular), I will send out and once in a while I will send my shirts out as well to get a good crisp pressing. Several years ago, I used a cleaner that was run my a former Marines wife..... now that lady could put a crease in a shirt that would cut ya.... too bad they retired and move to FL.....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I send my suits out , but I iron all my slacks and dress shirts (even wrinkle free) , I like crisp lines with heavy starch , I guess some things in the Corps have stayed with me . I also iron my wife's clothes as she has no idea what she is doing .

Like MWS , I find ironing to be calming ( though I hate washing dishes with a passion) .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Suits (3) to the cleaners, most shirts I don't bother with, except my dress shirts.

As for USMC style creases, ask your dry cleaner, many know that fine art.
In the '70s I worked with a former Marine (VN era), he hadn't ironed his dress khakis since he had gotten out of Da Corp, they still had creases you could get hurt on after 5 years.

The cleaners here now employ some younger women..... they do a good job in general but cant do the military crease or starch justice...... their idea of heavy starch would be a crime to most Marines....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My shirts and khakis can stand up on their own , with creases even a washing machine can not remove . But I still iron them after they are line dried , I do not completely dry anything but my undies and socks in the dryer .

My shirts and khakis can stand up on their own , with creases even a washing machine can not remove . But I still iron them after they are line dried , I do not completely dry anything but my undies and socks in the dryer .
I can get my white shirts to a standard that would get a nod in the affirmative from a Gunny.... colored ones, I cant get the proper starch application without it showing.....

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I can iron but as to the fact that I have no where to go I don't. My father had me iron his shirts for 10 years. Now I avoid it plus if my wife saw she would make me iron since she can't.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I can but the wife can do better. Some stuff I send out to my friends cleaners. He is just starting up and needs the business. I'll most likely bring my Santa suit for him to clean, although that does not get ironed.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can get my white shirts to a standard that would get a nod in the affirmative from a Gunny.... colored ones, I cant get the proper starch application without it showing.....
do not let a hot iron touch the shirt and starch itself . Spray an even and light amount of starch and lay a WHITE linen cloth over the area you are going to iron . If the starch is too heavy and you apply the iron directly to it , the starch will "flake up" and show .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Gotta love men being human.

We are discussing refinements on ironing. :1-pray:

This reminds me of a time at RenFaire, walked up on a group of heavily armed Scotsmen who were discussing sewing. :)

do not let a hot iron touch the shirt and starch itself . Spray an even and light amount of starch and lay a WHITE linen cloth over the area you are going to iron . If the starch is too heavy and you apply the iron directly to it , the starch will "flake up" and show .
THANK YOU..... I will start using that method... that was the exact problem I had.