Jerky

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Take a pencil and use it to crack the oven door.

For a basic spice, grind some salt and pepper using a large grain salt like sea salt. I will often use Brown's recipe as a good base. I like it best on the smoker (will use dehydrator in a pinch), so I do not add liquid smoke, and I like mine with a kick so I'll add a few ghost peppers.

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Put it as low as possible.

I will often use the sandwich stakes they sell in the meat department if I'm in a rush. Lawry's makes a tequila lime, that I add a little extra tequila in, let it marinade over night and throw it on the smoker. Turns out great that way. I do not care too much for the jerky spices that you use ground meat with.

Alton Brown has a great way to make it too.

Good Eats - S09E03P01 - Urban Preservation II - The Jerky - YouTube

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Now we're talking!
To be honest. I've had a few good ground beef jerky. But most of it was slightly better then Slim Jim. I do know people that love it, but after doing in on my smoker, I cannot go back. I really want to try Alton Brown's method, as it seems more pure then the smoker, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much. Jerky never lasts when I do it, as I eat it for a meal, not to mention when I brought it to work everyone wanted a piece.

The steak sandwich slices the meat department sells works well if you can find low fat slices. Trim off any fat you can. Sadly it does cost more then getting a good flank steak and slicing it. But it is a lot quicker.

I have seen people who will hang their jerky on racks to get more meat per volume too.

I love jerky, and is one of the first things I learned to smoke with my brothers smoker and what truly made me get an offset smoker. Makes me want to get some this week, but I budgeted my money towards red beans and rice. Again Alton Brown's recipe. So good.

I am gonna TELL the wife to go get the ingredient.......:3-smash:

OK...so if you want to play semantics...actually I will ASK her to get it...:ballchain:

FF Sparky

I have made al kinds of meals, but never tried jerky. Salsa, horseradish, flavored olive oils are things I wanna try also.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I dunno, Was gunna experiment, try a few different things
I can look up specific infusions if you wish. I'm waiting until I can afford some more bottles. I love these and use them for my vodka infusions. But I was looking at these and then these too, but they would be more for tinctures/extracts.

FF Sparky

Infusions? I may have more to learn than I though. I thought you just boiled what you wanted in the olive oil. Then put it in a bottle

have some jerky drying right now. i use round steak. the flavoring i use is the jerky seasoning from "high mountian" which i bought at scheel's. this that i'm drying now is flavored with the bourbon bbq blend.

edwmax

Anyone have a recipe for making jerky in the oven....pepper flavored

I've made jerky a few times. I have a dehydrator which works great. Using the oven is more difficult because jerky is more dried than cooked. You need a slight air flow or the jerky will steam in the oven.

As a thought & suggestion, ... you might try using a small electric heater with a fan. Set the jerky on a rack in an open ended box and let the warm air blow through. I haven't tried this, but it is just an improvised dehydrator.

There are many recipes on the internet. But I like just salt, lots of pepper and a little garlic powder. KISS ... simple

ps; ... the wife will always want to use the oven when you are ... fight time ...hahaha

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Infusions? I may have more to learn than I though. I thought you just boiled what you wanted in the olive oil. Then put it in a bottle
Well, in fact, you don't want to boil the olive oil. That will make it hot enough to vaporize. But you get it almost boiling and then steep whatever you want in it and that is an infusion!!! ;)

edwmax

There are 'cold' infusions, too, .... no heating or boiling ... just put in a bottle and let sit a few days or weeks ...

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
There are 'cold' infusions, too, .... no heating or boiling ... just put in a bottle and let sit a few days or weeks ...
I've always been told if doing cold infusions to keep it refrigerated. If not there is a small chance of botchulism.

edwmax

Never heard that. My directions just say to seal in jar and place in warm sunny place for 3 weeks. Then strain and refrigerate. For oils & dry herbs ... I guest it depends on what one might be trying to infuse.