Jewlery

HarrisonK

Can someone who is not a MM, or even a freemason yet wear any type of "masonic" jewlery whether it is a ring, cufflinks, pins, etc.

Obviously it will not have the same meaning to someone who is a mason, but as a way to show support to the craft?

Azpir8king

I don't know how others feel, but each of us (MM's) earned the right to wear the ring as we went through our degrees. The "privilege" to wear and display the masonic symbols is granted when you achieve Master Mason. I believe some jurisdictions allow Wives and children to display the masonic symbols as well. In my opinion, any others are "cowens" (pretenders and eavesdroppers). It would be like wearing a policeman's uniform, a purple heart medal or a Superbowl ring. It leaves others with the impression that you are what the symbol projects, when you are not. You can show support while you go through the degree process by supporting your lodges family dinner nights, JOB's daughter bake sales, etc.

One should not display what one has not earned.

Also, The casual use of the symbols can lead to MIS-USE of the symbols, which (I was recently informed by Brother Winter) a few Grand Chapters have now trademarked.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Can someone who is not a MM, or even a freemason yet wear any type of "masonic" jewlery whether it is a ring, cufflinks, pins, etc.

Obviously it will not have the same meaning to someone who is a mason, but as a way to show support to the craft?
We would rather a non-Mason and , depending on the jurisdiction , EAs' and FCs' not wear the S & C of a Master Mason . Support the Craft by putting in the work and become a Master Mason and earn the right to wear it .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
There were some Grand Lodges in the past that were able to have laws passed in some states which made it against the law to wear Masonic jewelry/insignia if one is not a Mason , which has since added other fraternal insignias in this law . I can not name the states right off hand , and I really doubt that it would be enforced . This is just for general interest .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Bought my MM ring, stainless steel, Ebay, $14, I will bring it to my MM initiation and wear it afterwards.

I respect what the work that an MM indicates.

Azpir8king

Bought my MM ring, stainless steel, Ebay, $14, I will bring it to my MM initiation and wear it afterward.

I did the same thing . Bought my rings when I was initiated an EA in March and they were worn the first time in August when I was raised. My wife poked me a few times about "buying something I couldn't even use for a few months" because I would not even touch them (other than the 'do they fit' test when they arrived) after I bought them. It added an extra little bit of drive. No way was I going to fail and NOT get to wear those rings.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Maybe this is what all EAs' need to do , then maybe we can get more of them to come back and return their catechisms and move on through the degrees .

pdh825

Master Mason
Bought my MM ring, stainless steel, Ebay, $14, I will bring it to my MM initiation and wear it afterwards.

Mine is a similar situation. It is a family heirloom, belonged to my Great Grandfather, then Grandfather. It came to me because it had gone to my Mother after he died. She gave it to me for my 40th birthday in August a few weeks before my EA. I too only did the "did it fit" a few times. When I told some of the Brothers at Lodge about it, they asked to see it so I wore it the night of my FC, but with the the face pointing in. If you looked at my hand, it looked like a simple band, you could not tell it had the S&C. It went back to Lodge with me the day of my MM and I asked my mentor to hold it for me until after the ceremony.

In New Zealand there is no "Official" rule concerning rings but it is an accepted tradition that they are only for MMs. In regards to other S&C jewlery they are fair game for any Mason in NZ (EA, FC and MMs.) After I was initiated I was given a S&C Lapel Pin by the District Grandmaster...

Winter

I've been here before
In Wisconsin, it is actually against the law to wear a Masonic emblem if you are not a member of the Fraternity.

From the Wisconsin State Statutes:
132.17 Certain badges; penalty for unauthorized wearing. Any person who shall willfully wear the insignia, rosette, or badge or any imitation thereof, of Free Masons, or of any other society, order or organization operating under the lodge system, of ten years standing in the State of Wisconsin or of any duly incorporated fraternal organization which willfully use the same to obtain aid or assistance thereby within this state, or shall willfully use the name of such society, order or organization, the titles of its officers, or its insignia, unless he shall be entitled to use or wear the same under the constitution, bylaws, rules and regulations thereof, shall be imprisoned not more than 30 days or fined not exceeding $20, or both. (October 1, 1989)

Duncan1574

In Wisconsin, it is actually against the law to wear a Masonic emblem if you are not a member of the Fraternity.

From the Wisconsin State Statutes:
132.17 Certain badges; penalty for unauthorized wearing. Any person who shall willfully wear the insignia, rosette, or badge or any imitation thereof, of Free Masons, or of any other society, order or organization operating under the lodge system, of ten years standing in the State of Wisconsin or of any duly incorporated fraternal organization which willfully use the same to obtain aid or assistance thereby within this state, or shall willfully use the name of such society, order or organization, the titles of its officers, or its insignia, unless he shall be entitled to use or wear the same under the constitution, bylaws, rules and regulations thereof, shall be imprisoned not more than 30 days or fined not exceeding $20, or both. (October 1, 1989)
In Wisconsin it is also illegal to display a license plate that reflects affiliation with the criteria as the above. Itis detailed on the special issue license plate forms.

Bro.G.McNeill

I inherited my dads ring shortly after he passed away.That ring also belonged to my grandfather. I had it sized to fit me when I was initiated an EA. I couldnt wait until I was raised so I could wear it. I can't even begin to explian the overwhelming feeling that I felt on that day when my mentor said to me " put that ring on, your as much of a Mason as you'll ever be". I will never forget it.

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
I don't know how others feel, but each of us (MM's) earned the right to wear the ring as we went through our degrees. The "privilege" to wear and display the masonic symbols is granted when you achieve Master Mason. I believe some jurisdictions allow Wives and children to display the masonic symbols as well. In my opinion, any others are "cowens" (pretenders and eavesdroppers). It would be like wearing a policeman's uniform, a purple heart medal or a Superbowl ring. It leaves others with the impression that you are what the symbol projects, when you are not. You can show support while you go through the degree process by supporting your lodges family dinner nights, JOB's daughter bake sales, etc.

One should not display what one has not earned.

Also, The casual use of the symbols can lead to MIS-USE of the symbols, which (I was recently informed by Brother Winter) a few Grand Chapters have now trademarked.
You know as a kid I was one who wanted to wear a S&C without knowing its true meaning. I thought it was cool. But as I got older and now have been raised to a MM, I see that it is not cool, it is more of an honor to wear a S&C. I can say proudly that I have been D&T prepared and have earned the right to be called a TM when my light is on. One day I asked a young man who had a S&C emblem on his chain, was he a travelling man, he looked at me as if I were bum asking him for money. I tried him several times but there was a look of confusion during every test I threw his. If it were in a MM’s nature to bend this boy over his knee and give him a few lashing, I would have gladly done it. I chose to walk away and fell the true meaning of WOTID…

Duncan1574

I know not if there is legal precedence or common law on this subject, however in reading this thread and hearing the options of Brothers whom I have respect for, I shall not wear the S&C until after my raising and then I shall don it with a sense of privilege for I will know that I have worked for the right to stand in the ranks of men of character and honor, this I promise & swear.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I know not if there is legal precedence or common law on this subject, however in reading this thread and hearing the options of Brothers whom I have respect for, I shall not wear the S&C until after my raising and then I shall don it with a sense of privilege for I will know that I have worked for the right to stand in the ranks of men of character and honor, this I promise & swear.
Good. We'd hate to have to hunt you down and kill you.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Sheesh, Patrick! You could have put a "LOL" after that at least!
But then he wouldn't take me seriously! I mean, really, just think about it: "You remove those troops from our country, or there's going to be war! LOL". Not a good way to express the seriousness of your intent.