just wondering

G

Gary

There are EA rings and jewelry out there. It would probably be prudent to wait until you are a MM to wear the MM stuff though. Just out of respect for the Order. But that's just my opinion.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
can a person wear masonic jewlrey when gettin his first degree
Short answer: No, absolutely not.
Medium answer: It is in EXTREMELY poor taste to wear Masonic jewelry before you become a Master Mason.

If someone has passed you a Masonic ring or other item, from a family member or acquaintance, you might want to 'wear it' in your pocket in your everyday life, if you feel the need, but not where it would be visible.

Good luck in your journey.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I would suggest not wearing it, and you won't be wearing it during the degree. I see a lot of posts that (in my opinion) are rude in answers, however sometimes blunt is the best way.

Masonic jewelery is just that jewelery. If you feel the need to attempt to deceive brethren in the fraternity, then wearing a MM emblem before rightfully entitled thereto is the best way. Take caution though, if you attempt to deceive others, that is not a masonic virtue, and does not show an attitude worthy of the fraternity.

If you want to wear it because of your enthusiasm for our fraternity, that is a completely different reason. This is great, however, if you have that amount of zeal for the institution, then please realize that it would be best to wait until you are entitled to all of the rights and privledges of the fraternity.

Laxguy38922

The symbol on most Masonic jewlery is that of a MM. Having not recieved the MM degree yet, it would be considered in bad taste to wear it.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
In some states it is actually illegal.
That is the case in Wisconsin, I found it when researching FM license plates...

Section 132.17, Wisconsin Statutes, makes it illegal to use the insignia of the Freemasons or of any other society, order or organization operating under the lodge system unless entitled to use the same under the constitution, bylaws, rules and regulations of that society, order or organization.​

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
In some states it is actually illegal.
I've got to ask this question though. Who actually enforces this? What are the consequences, and how do they actually know for sure if you are a Master Mason or not? Just asking because I've never heard it was illegal, but rather just bad mojo.

G

Gary

The consequences are weak. The fines supposedly levied are rediculously low. Not a deterrent at all. As to how they are enforced? I have no clue.

While the fines may be small, it is the meaning of the Law that I appreciate. But,all anyone would have to say is that it is not a "masonic" emblem.....their excuse can be "it means something else to them"....

robmei2

jewelry during an E. A. degree

Jewelry is not worn when actually receiving a degree. One is not entitled to wear the MM Square and Compasses until raised to the Sublime Degree of MM. it is inappropriate to wear MM jewelry when not raised to that level and knowing so but doing otherwise would speak volumes about ones virtue.

R. D. Meier PW Lansdowne Lodge #711
32nd Deg. Valley of Philadelphia

m_s_ifland

Jewelry is not worn when actually receiving a degree. One is not entitled to wear the MM Square and Compasses until raised to the Sublime Degree of MM. it is inappropriate to wear MM jewelry when not raised to that level and knowing so but doing otherwise would speak volumes about ones virtue.

R. D. Meier PW Lansdowne Lodge #711
32nd Deg. Valley of Philadelphia
But we learn about the meanings of the S&C in the first degree. It's the position of the S&C the determines where we are in our travels. I agree that an EA should not wear a ring with the S&C in the position of a MM, but I think it's ok to wear it, if it's positioned correctly.
That being said, I don't make the rules, this is just an opinion.

Bropreston

I had this dilema when I joined,I decided not to wear my ring until after my 3rd as it just seemed the correct thing to do..... let your own feeling guide you

Winter

I've been here before
It has nothing to do with feelings, Brother. An EA wearing the mark of a MM is just plain wrong.

Good luck finding a ring with the S&C in the position of an EA. I've heard rumors that some make EA rings but have never seen one myself. I've seen plenty with them in the FC position, but not EA.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
It has nothing to do with feelings, Brother. An EA wearing the mark of a MM is just plain wrong.

Good luck finding a ring with the S&C in the position of an EA. I've heard rumors that some make EA rings but have never seen one myself. I've seen plenty with them in the FC position, but not EA.
I've seen one or two. I've even seen rings where you cannot really tell what position the compasses are in - in relation to the square. My only thought is: "Why spend all that money on a piece of jewelry you're not going to be wearing for the rest of your life? Why not wait until you can wear the MM symbol and then spend your hard-earned money on that?"

Bropreston

I agree fully brother but that is just mine and your views, this links in a little with the other thread discussing those who dont fully appreciate rituals/traditions etc. I was told by a PM of a lodge that I was being silly as what was on my ring was "just symbolism"! now figure that one out?! a freemason who doesn`t view symbolism as important?:confused: regarding rings with the FC position on, would these be old rings? many of our older lodges and old workings show the S&C in this position...

Winter

I've been here before
I agree fully brother but that is just mine and your views, this links in a little with the other thread discussing those who dont fully appreciate rituals/traditions etc. I was told by a PM of a lodge that I was being silly as what was on my ring was "just symbolism"! now figure that one out?! a freemason who doesn`t view symbolism as important?:confused: regarding rings with the FC position on, would these be old rings? many of our older lodges and old workings show the S&C in this position...
Many are older, since the third degree was invented in the 18th century and previously a full Brother was a Fellow of the Craft.

Some are newer, made because of the older tradition, and some are made by people who are ignorant of the significance of the placement.

My Lodge presents a special hand-crafted pin to our PM's that purposly have the compasses in the FC position.