Lodge Growth

Azpir8king

I agree Brother Winter.

In my last post (the one I changed my mind on) I couldn't get it to read right to me so that is why I deleted it. Sometimes I cannot get my thoughts from my head to travel down my fingers to the keyboard.:rolleyes:
WD-40, Brother. Works for me. Tastes REALLY bad though.;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I agree wholeheartedly Ashlar. Instead of every Lodge trying to hold on and save a building, save the Craft. The Lodges retain their identity and sahre a building. One building with Lodge activities happening almost every night would relieve that stress.
Some are hung up on those numbers after WWII and trying to figure out ways to get those numbers back up . I think we are getting back down to our fighting weight .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Some are hung up on those numbers after WWII and trying to figure out ways to get those numbers back up . I think we are getting back down to our fighting weight .
My Lodge has about 20 active members of the 100+ who pay dues. I am not sure what to do about that, I have had some discussions about it with other Brothers in the Lodge and they like the dues $$$ and some don't miss the Brothers who are not showing up.
Our Lodge building is used by 2 Lodges, OES, an AA meeting, and a few other groups (nice basement banquet hall).
I would like to get the 3rd floor billiard room going again, older members don't like the stairs. Darts, Chess, Go, pool, cards, hoochi-coochi girls, etc.

I too have a 130 + membership in my Lodge...and very lucky if we have 10 at stated communications and maybe 20 for degree....and not all of the 20 are from my Lodge....we rely on brothers from other Lodges to assist in our degrees......What I wonder and I am looking into it here too...how many of your members dont actually live close enough to attend.... I know we have several that live in FL, AZ..a few in CA and one or two in NJ....With the advanced age of alot of Brothers and their retirements and such....I bet there are many Lodges in different states that could probably get more members in Lodge if they held it in FL....

G

Gary

I too have a 130 + membership in my Lodge...and very lucky if we have 10 at stated communications and maybe 20 for degree....and not all of the 20 are from my Lodge....we rely on brothers from other Lodges to assist in our degrees......What I wonder and I am looking into it here too...how many of your members dont actually live close enough to attend.... I know we have several that live in FL, AZ..a few in CA and one or two in NJ....With the advanced age of alot of Brothers and their retirements and such....I bet there are many Lodges in different states that could probably get more members in Lodge if they held it in FL....
The problem is that we have attendance issues here in Florida too. There are Masons who have moved here or are snow birds that never attend Lodge here either. The problem is for the most part, that they just don't want to come anymore. Not that they can't.

TrowelTalk

As I travel from State to State performing the work of my vocation, I have tried to visit as many Lodges as time and scheduling permitted and have noted differences in the Craft from place to place.

In some jurisdictions (including my own) attendees are expected to dress in professional business attire (suit or sports coat and tie) and all officers are dressed in tuxedos. While other areas permit men to attend in jeans and a polo shirt and the officers are dressed similarly.

Some places offer a meal before the meeting, some after. Some permit alcohol after the meeting to be served on the premises, some migrate to a local pub and some forbid it all together as any officially "sanctioned" activity.

Some Lodges host BBQs and picnics, some fancy sit-down dinners with big band era music.

Whatever the unique flavor of the Lodge, I seem to notice a direct correlation between the numbers in the seats and the camaraderie amongst the brethren. Its tangible, you can actually feel it after just 15 minutes amongst them. You can also tell when its absent.

So it appears to me, be it the quality of the ritual work, the manner of dress, the festivities one partakes in on or off the building grounds; it is friendship that binds and grows a Lodge.

The question is, if you don't have that "feeling" inside your Lodge now, how do you best get it?

Bropreston

As I travel from State to State performing the work of my vocation, I have tried to visit as many Lodges as time and scheduling permitted and have noted differences in the Craft from place to place.

In some jurisdictions (including my own) attendees are expected to dress in professional business attire (suit or sports coat and tie) and all officers are dressed in tuxedos. While other areas permit men to attend in jeans and a polo shirt and the officers are dressed similarly.

Some places offer a meal before the meeting, some after. Some permit alcohol after the meeting to be served on the premises, some migrate to a local pub and some forbid it all together as any officially "sanctioned" activity.

Some Lodges host BBQs and picnics, some fancy sit-down dinners with big band era music.

Whatever the unique flavor of the Lodge, I seem to notice a direct correlation between the numbers in the seats and the camaraderie amongst the brethren. Its tangible, you can actually feel it after just 15 minutes amongst them. You can also tell when its absent.

So it appears to me, be it the quality of the ritual work, the manner of dress, the festivities one partakes in on or off the building grounds; it is friendship that binds and grows a Lodge.

The question is, if you don't have that "feeling" inside your Lodge now, how do you best get it?
very very true brother! I visit 2 lodges in our area both in the same building, one has a great atmosphere and members, this shows in the amount of brethren at meetings.. 130 at last meeting! the other I always feel uncomfortable at, they dont have that "IT". It`s the members that make the lodge.

Duncan1574

Once you start making Masons instead of members, the problem solves itself. ;)
Even as a nyophete Brother, I can see that 'making Masons' is critical. So, are the procedures in place to make that the reality?
What I have read here on the forum tells me that the jurisdictions have varying levels of processes and desires in place to make Masons.

Winter

I've been here before
Most of the jurisdictions, ours included here in WI, the proceedures are in place. It is up to us to hold ourselves to the highest possible Masonic standards and be willing to stand up and say, "No, we are not proficient enough to put this degree on." And then we bust our ass and get good enough.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Once you start making Masons instead of members, the problem solves itself. ;)
Let us hope my current Lodge can get over their disputatiousness so that we can make better Masons. With stuff overflowing outside the Lodge already this year, lets hope change will come.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Most of the jurisdictions, ours included here in WI, the proceedures are in place. It is up to us to hold ourselves to the highest possible Masonic standards and be willing to stand up and say, "No, we are not proficient enough to put this degree on." And then we bust our ass and get good enough.
I would love to sit in a Lodge for that. Do you adorn costumes?

Duncan1574

As an FNG, I would have liked a list of expectations and timeframes presented to me so that I could clearly understand what is expected of me. I hold myself to a set of high standards and when I am mentoring a new Mason, I will lay out those expectations so they have direction and goals.

ckeroflite

Bro. Junior Warden
Just my opinion and you know what that's worth;
I no longer concern myself with the inactive members. They know where the Lodge is and when we meet. If they choose not to attend, so beit. I think more effort should be spent on retaining the newer Brothers than trying to jump start members who no longer participate. The hope for Freemasonry is not the 65 year old member sitting on the couch(they do serve a purpose, dues $$) but is the 25-40 year old' who are starting to show up. Is M/Edu the answer? It sure can't hurt. But to me the big thing is to give the new Brother a job. Not necessarily an officers chair but put them on a committee or a "make" work project, anything to get their attention. Make them feel a part of the Lodge.

An EA is the most eager time of a Masons life, imo, the most curious, so full of questions, so moldable, if you will, and most of the time we drop the ball leave them with their questions unanswered and little attention paid them except for the catechisms. Where'd they go??????
I think you are on the right track my Brother. When I was entered my light was on, and the MM of my lodge kept me engaged evident by them calling me and keeping in contact with me. I was invited to come down to the lodge on our meeting night and study with some of the brothers before they were to meet. The grand lecture mad it a point to meet with all the new brothers and continue to meet with all the new brothers every time we were to meet for a study group. It was good for me and I felt like I was apart of the order even if my name was different then the others... lol… I had to earn my brothers trust and they held up their part of the obligation… Now as a MM I see why the time was spent with me and why it is important for EA to be constantly engaged…