Lodge Growth

Azpir8king

26 showed up, 23 Brothers stayed to partake tonight in those two FC degrees (Three wanted to just drop in and congratulate the FC's, then go on to other commitments). On a Non Stated meeting night JUST to do the FC's. Not sure if its good or bad, but the numbers were up.

Winter

I've been here before
You are taking an active role in trying to get the Brothers there, Tom. Many thanks!

If I did not have to work until 9pm, I would have gone and shown my support.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
advertising

Because it smacks of being a social club just looking to fill our halls.

The doors have already been thrown open too wide in recent decades. For centuries, we did not need ad campaigns. Good, honest, decent men who were true seekers of Brotherhood and enlightenment found us. These ad campaigns make our Order appealing to every whack-job and joe-schmo just looking for something to do on a Wednesday night.

I'd be happier with a third of our numbers if they were actually Masons instead of dues-card carrying pretenders.

Please do not take any of these comments as a personal attack against you, my Brother. They are general statements regarding what I see as the direction our Order is taking as a whole and why I disagree with them... vehemently.
I see a lot of truth in your comments.
We have a lot of Lodges, mine included, that have been shrinking for a long time. We however are saddled with a beautiful old Masonic edifice that is increasingly more expensive to maintain. We now have a proposal to increase our dues, but already the nay-sayers are telling us the dues are already high (HA!) and members will demit if we raise them.
Many members are just that: members. I wish they would all be Masons! There are many tenets and teachings in the degrees and lectures that people just ignore to pursue their own agenda, and take great offense if they have their hypocrisy pointed out in light of Masonic teachings. I try not to be rude and offensive, but if you ask me, I will try to find a gentle way to tell you.

I had a member a few years ago tell me he would not stand in any Lodge that did not have The King James Version of the Holy Bible on the altar. "Masonry unites men of every country, sect, and opinion and conciliates true friendship among those who otherwise might have remained at a perpetual distance."

S&F

G

Gary

26 showed up, 23 Brothers stayed to partake tonight in those two FC degrees (Three wanted to just drop in and congratulate the FC's, then go on to other commitments). On a Non Stated meeting night JUST to do the FC's. Not sure if its good or bad, but the numbers were up.
I congratulate you on your efforts Bro.Tom!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Because it smacks of being a social club just looking to fill our halls.

The doors have already been thrown open too wide in recent decades. For centuries, we did not need ad campaigns. Good, honest, decent men who were true seekers of Brotherhood and enlightenment found us. These ad campaigns make our Order appealing to every whack-job and joe-schmo just looking for something to do on a Wednesday night.

I'd be happier with a third of our numbers if they were actually Masons instead of dues-card carrying pretenders.

Please do not take any of these comments as a personal attack against you, my Brother. They are general statements regarding what I see as the direction our Order is taking as a whole and why I disagree with them... vehemently.
I see your point. I believe we could find people in every Lodge that are more interested in "refreshment" than "labor". This may be the result of opening our doors too wide. I have not been a Mason long enough to know that answer.

Ad campaigns can be approached in many ways. I and I'm sure the members of any GL would not approve of a guy with slick hair in a checkered suit and a rapid-fire delivery shouting about the one-day-to-masonry special this weekend. On the other hand, a respectful encouragement to seek more information by making some of the history of the Craft known can go a long way toward good men finding their way to the Lodge.

At least half of my neighbors couldn't tell you the names of the people who live next door to them. With 300 channels of crap on cable, movies streaming on game consoles, and even forums like this one one need never leave the house to have fun or even make new friends. There are good men there and the best way to reach them is to put your message within their reach.

Here's a link to one of the ask a Freemason ads. If you haven't seen them, you may want to take a look.

YouTube - Ask a Freemason

Winter

I've been here before
Oh, I've seen em.

"The time is... To ask a Freemason."

How can the GL of MA say they are not recruiting with those things?

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Oh, I've seen em.

"The time is... To ask a Freemason."

How can the GL of MA say they are not recruiting with those things?
Some GL's have changed their bylaws to allow recruiting, so in their jurisdiction these PSAs are legal and have been approved by the Craft. Do I agree with them? I guess if they think it is for the good of Masonry in their jurisdiction then I have no opinion, but in NE, I do have, and I am against the out and out "recruiting" but I am for letting the public know the good things that Masonry has accomplished.

Winter

I've been here before
Here is my reasoning behind my dislike of the openness in Freemasonry in some jurisdictions. It is based on the Twenty Third Landmark of our Order.

LANDMARK TWENTY-THIRD

The secrecy of the institution is another and a most important Landmark. There is some difficulty in precisely defining what is meant by a "secret society," If the term refers, as perhaps in strictly logical language it should, to those associations whose designs are concealed from the public eye, and whose members are unknowing which produce their results in darkness, and whose operations are carefully hidden from the public gaze - a definition which will be appropriate to many political clubs and revolutionary combinations in despotic countries, where reform, if it is at all to be effected, must be effected by stealth - then clearly Freemasonry is not a secret society. Its design is not only publicly proclaimed. but is vaunted by its disciples as something to be venerated; its disciples are known, for its membership is considered an honor to be coveted; it works for a result of which it boasts, the civilization, and reformation of his manners. But if by a Secret society is meant, and this is the most popular understanding of the term, a society in which there is a certain amount of knowledge, whether it be of methods of recognition, or of legendary and traditional learning, which is imported to those only who have passed through an established form of initiation, the form itself being also concealed or esoteric, then in this sense is Freemasonry undoubtedly a secret society.

Now this form of secrecy is a form inherent in it, existing with It from its very foundation, and secured to it by its ancient Landmarks. If divested of its secret character, it would lose its identity, and would cease to be Freemasonry. whatever objections may, therefore, be made to the institution, on account of its secrecy, and however much some unskillful brethren have been willing in times of trial, for the sake of expediency, to divest it of its secret character, it will be ever impossible to do so, even were this Landmark not standing before us as an insurmountable obstacle; because such change of its character would be social suicide, and the death of the Order would follow its legalized exposure. Freemasonry, as a secret association, has lived unchanged for centuries an open society it would not last for as many years.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What I think needs to be done is close some lodge buildings and have 3 or 4 Lodges share one building . Also we have 5 lodges in my county alone , I think it is time to merge some of these lodges . To many put to much importance on the building , when it is the Masons that make the lodge . We have one lodge that has had the same Past Masters rotating through the Chair line for years . They have only taken in 2 or 3 new members in five years . It is time for this lodge to merge with the lodge 15 minutes down the road .

We need to quit worrying about getting new members so we can pay our bills . If 3 or 4 lodges shared one lodge building we could get by with less members but in the end have more Masons . I would much rather share a building with other lodges and have a Lodge of 20 or 30 true Masons than a Building with 150 to 200 members .

Winter

I've been here before
I agree wholeheartedly Ashlar. Instead of every Lodge trying to hold on and save a building, save the Craft. The Lodges retain their identity and sahre a building. One building with Lodge activities happening almost every night would relieve that stress.

Laxguy38922

I agree this is what needs to be done. My lodge is a historical building being that we have existed since 1798 and been in the same building/location short time after. We need to renovate or move. Being on the historical society list it limits the way we renovate things making it more expensive. We tried to sell our building and buying a new building and using it as a Masonic community center. No lodge in the area was interested in doing this. Months later, a local lodge was told they needed to find a different building to meet in or merge because the Tall Cedars owned their current building and they couldn't afford it anymore. We offered that Tall Cedars could meet at our building and the Blue Lodge either merge or meet at our building. They were going to accept the offer but a member of their lodge died and left alittle bit of money so they called it off until they don't have the money anymore... Why waste that money on upkeeping a building you know you can't keep anyways?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Here is my reasoning behind my dislike of the openness in Freemasonry in some jurisdictions. It is based on the Twenty Third Landmark of our Order.

LANDMARK TWENTY-THIRD

The secrecy of the institution is another and a most important Landmark. There is some difficulty in precisely defining what is meant by a "secret society," If the term refers, as perhaps in strictly logical language it should, to those associations whose designs are concealed from the public eye, and whose members are unknowing which produce their results in darkness, and whose operations are carefully hidden from the public gaze - a definition which will be appropriate to many political clubs and revolutionary combinations in despotic countries, where reform, if it is at all to be effected, must be effected by stealth - then clearly Freemasonry is not a secret society. Its design is not only publicly proclaimed. but is vaunted by its disciples as something to be venerated; its disciples are known, for its membership is considered an honor to be coveted; it works for a result of which it boasts, the civilization, and reformation of his manners. But if by a Secret society is meant, and this is the most popular understanding of the term, a society in which there is a certain amount of knowledge, whether it be of methods of recognition, or of legendary and traditional learning, which is imported to those only who have passed through an established form of initiation, the form itself being also concealed or esoteric, then in this sense is Freemasonry undoubtedly a secret society.

Now this form of secrecy is a form inherent in it, existing with It from its very foundation, and secured to it by its ancient Landmarks. If divested of its secret character, it would lose its identity, and would cease to be Freemasonry. whatever objections may, therefore, be made to the institution, on account of its secrecy, and however much some unskillful brethren have been willing in times of trial, for the sake of expediency, to divest it of its secret character, it will be ever impossible to do so, even were this Landmark not standing before us as an insurmountable obstacle; because such change of its character would be social suicide, and the death of the Order would follow its legalized exposure. Freemasonry, as a secret association, has lived unchanged for centuries an open society it would not last for as many years.
Thank you, Brother Winter. Your knowledge far exceeds mine and I have much to learn.

I have been instructed by publications of my GL and other secondary sources (Freemasons for Dummies, for example) that we are not a secret society but a society with secrets. The only secrets I have been instructed to never reveal are the means of recognition and what goes on during Ritual. This seems to be spelled out explicitly in the Landmark you provided:

Its design is not only publicly proclaimed. but is vaunted by its disciples as something to be venerated; its disciples are known, for its membership is considered an honor to be coveted; it works for a result of which it boasts, the civilization, and reformation of his manners. But if by a Secret society is meant, and this is the most popular understanding of the term, a society in which there is a certain amount of knowledge, whether it be of methods of recognition, or of legendary and traditional learning, which is imported to those only who have passed through an established form of initiation, the form itself being also concealed or esoteric, then in this sense is Freemasonry undoubtedly a secret society.

I realize I'm doing a bit of nitpicking here, but since we "publicly proclaim" our design and "its disciples are known, for its membership is considered an honor to be coveted" (like Ben Franklin and George Washington) I don't see a conflict between the ad and the Landmark so long as we don't make public "certain amount of knowledge, whether it be of methods of recognition, or of legendary and traditional learning, which is imported to those only who have passed through an established form of initiation, the form itself being also concealed or esoteric".

If it would be better for us to agree to disagree, I'm more than willing to do that. We are meeting on the level here after all. I respect your opinion and wisdom greatly and am more than open to your gentle correction if I am misguided in this.

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Windrider

Winter

I've been here before
Honest discussion is how we all learn, Brother! :)

I agree with you that our Order is (sometimes) applauded publicly and membership is coveted. But my reading of the 23rd Landmark is that the first part leads up to the second part of it.

While it is great that we can be public about our membership and undertakings, the key phrase I keep comming back to in the Landmark is the one that states that if we change our secretive nature it will result in social suicide. The last line spells out that we have survived unchanged for centuries and to alter these principals will spell the end of us.

Remember, while the modes of recognition are secret and not to be revealed, they are not the Secrets of Freemasonry. They are only the keys to them. ;)

G

Gary

This topic is a passionate one for sure. I commend your restraint Bro. Custer.

All of us are entitled to disagree. We must be mindful to keep our responses on the level. Luckily for our forums, we have Good Brothers here that gavel themselves! :D

Winter

I've been here before
I hope that no Brother here is taking my posts wrong and becomming upset. They are merely my attempt in a long battle to help steer our Craft back to a more traditional manner of operating.

I invite any Brother that feels that my posts are out of line to PM and discuss it. We may disagree on points, but I love you all!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I hope that no Brother here is taking my posts wrong and becomming upset. They are merely my attempt in a long battle to help steer our Craft back to a more traditional manner of operating.

I invite any Brother that feels that my posts are out of line to PM and discuss it. We may disagree on points, but I love you all!
Well said, Brother. I hope that as usual we have kept this discussion civil and respectful. I know you have and that was my intention.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler

I agree Brother Winter.

In my last post (the one I changed my mind on) I couldn't get it to read right to me so that is why I deleted it. Sometimes I cannot get my thoughts from my head to travel down my fingers to the keyboard.:rolleyes: