Lodge reassignment

lawshee

Hello,

Just wanted to know if its possible to change lodges? Say if I joined a lodge and the travels are to far or I felt like I was not getting the proper teachings and wanted to change.

Thanks much in advance.

-Tony

Terry S

You can do whats called a Demit. Its where you resign your membership from one lodge and apply to another. The brethren in each lodge has to approve your request to leave and to accept you.

You just petitioned, though... already thinking about changing??

lawshee

You can do whats called a Demit. Its where you resign your membership from one lodge and apply to another. The brethren in each lodge has to approve your request to leave and to accept you.

You just petitioned, though... already thinking about changing??
Absolutley not thinking of moving, it was just a curious thought.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Absolutley not thinking of moving, it was just a curious thought.
The process, at least in Massachusetts, is slightly more complicated. First, you find a lodge that better meets your needs and petition them to affiliate. They vote on you like they would for a candidate for the degrees. If you are voted in, you have to pay them their dues minus Grand Lodge dues as you have already paid GL dues at your original lodge. Then you submit a demit to the Secretary of your original Lodge. You must be affiliated with at least one lodge at all times, so if you just demit, then go looking for a new lodge you will not be considered a Mason.

Terry S

The process, at least in Massachusetts, is slightly more complicated. First, you find a lodge that better meets your needs and petition them to affiliate. They vote on you like they would for a candidate for the degrees. If you are voted in, you have to pay them their dues minus Grand Lodge dues as you have already paid GL dues at your original lodge. Then you submit a demit to the Secretary of your original Lodge. You must be affiliated with at least one lodge at all times, so if you just demit, then go looking for a new lodge you will not be considered a Mason.
Thats pretty much the detailed version of Ga with some exceptions...
1. We can be unaffiliated for 6 months.
2. We dont have to pay a difference in dues.

When i demitted to my current lodge most of the actual work was done between secretaries. I filled out the petition/request and gave it to me old secretary. They voted, then filed it with the Grand Lodge. Grand Lodge sent a notice to the myself and when i brought that to my new lodge they voted on me and filed the petition back to the GL.

I was just giving the cliff notes version in the first post.

FF Sparky

You could also(at least in Connecticut) be a dual member. Keeping your Mother Lodge and attending another. double lodge dues but only one GL dues. Just a thought.