Lodges in France

Alex

Firstly I am wondering if there are any members of this forum who are residing here in France ?
Secondly, if so I would be very grateful if they could either contact me or make themselves known to me, and allow me to contact them...
I have had no luck whatsoever in getting any information from any of the Grand Lodges over here in France ... Perhaps I am doing something wrong in my attempted approaches via e mail..??
I appologise if this is posted in the wrong forum, please feel free to Moderate the thread to the correct one if this is so, but this seemed to be the most relevant forum for these questions.

Winter

I've been here before
Just out of curiosity, what Grand Lodges in France have you contacted?

France has quite a few Grand Lodges if I remember and most American Lodges only recognize one. Because of an issue about Grand Lodges in France not requiring a belief in Diety, if I remember.

Alex

You've sort of forshortened my next question ..... I was going to ask about this very thing...
I have e mailed....

The Grand Orient de France
The Grand loge de France
and The Grand Loge National Francais

No replies from any of them...

I was going to inquire about the 'differences' ... Most of the available information on the internet I'm a little unsure of with not having anyone in the know to back it up. I'm very wary of upsetting an applecart that I'm trying to climb into. Last thing I want to do is cause any offence....

Winter

I've been here before
I think the National Grand Lodge of France is the one American GL's recognize. I'll have to look it up when I get a chance this afternoon.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can't remember which one other than I know that it is NOT the GO de F . So refresh my memory if you could , please .

Alex

Thank you all for the replies... The GNLF from what I can gather is the one that has maintained it's 'traditional' ways... I'm trying to tread carefully here... From what I can find out a potential candidate must believe in a deity of one sort or another.... It would appear not to be a requirement in the other lodges which, again from what I can find out second hand from the internet seems to be the reason Freemasonry appears to be somewhat fragmented here in France....
I live in a very small village here in Provence, and although there are some pretty major cities within reasonable distance I have been unable to find out anything at all locally, and nothing at all from the Grand Lodges in Paris...
We have moved about the world a lot in my life, but have finally settled here and really wish to enter the brotherhood.... Unfortunately, not knowing of any Masons personally the option of ask if you want to join leaves me with finding out what I can via the Internet and possibly attempting an alternative route...
It's somewhat frustrating to a degree to be ignored or seemingly so... But if that's what needed to strengthen my resolve then I am fully prepared to accept that my resolve needs strengthening.... No pain... No Gain...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
How long ago did you e-mail them ? One thing to remember the wheels of Freemasonry sometimes moves slowly and it takes patience , they may get back to you eventually .

Alex

I e mailed in the order that I have listed them above to the best of my knowledge... Not a preference thing, just the order that they popped up in my initial enquiries.... First e mails would have been about 18 months ago or so... Last ones beginning of this month... Yes... I understand the pace of things... I think I'm pretty patient LOL....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Oh wow , 18 months ago ! They should have gotten int ouch with you by now . Hmmm , have you tried calling the National Grand Lodge of France , I see a phone number on their home page ?

Alex

I called a while ago and got an answerphone.... I'm glad I did because leaning as I have of the different lodges sort of put me on the backfoot and has made me sit back and do a bit more research (well, as much as I can without ever speaking to a Mason directly)
I never realised the brotherhood was as seemingly varied as it appears to be, hence my caution. I have waited a long time to actually make this move in my life and it's important to me to do it right. I don't think I would fit in with a lodge that doesn't require a belief in a deity is just one of the many things I have found that I need to look into further..... I haven't yet learned of anything that has made me think again, but I have learned enough not to rush about and join the first lodge that will have me.
I only learned of this forum today from a Freemason I know on a public networking site, who lives in Florida.... I have learnt more today thanks to this forum than I have been able to learn in the last few years... and I thank you all for your openess and honesty.
I will get there.... It is one of the few things in my life I am sure about...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You are very welcome Alex . Ask all the questions you like and we will answer them to the best of our abilities and to what our obligations allow .

Alex

Thank you Ashlar.... I have some marvelous news already... Someone has been in touch from the GLNF to inform me that a member will be in touch shortly !!!

I only e mailed them again this morning !!

Once again proof that He does in fact move in mysterious ways...

Thank you all for your positive support........

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yes you should . More so if this something that , in your heart , you have been wanting for some time .

After all these years as a Master Mason , I still get excited when going to lodge and show up an hour or so before we set down to dinner because I can not wait to get there . I use the time to go up stairs and go over lectures , set up the lodge and/or read and study . It is so peaceful to set in the lodge room with no ringing phones , tv and no one else around . It is one of my most favorite places .

Alex

At the moment I can only dare to imagine how pleasant that must be..... I really do hope to be able to experience it first hand in the future....

Here's hoping and praying I will.....:)

Alex

Thank you Winter.... I haven't heard anything further yet, but I am a patient guy, I have after all waited a very long time to be in what I believe to be the right position to make my application.....It goes without saying that I will keep you informed of any and all progress on this journey....

cemab4y

I lived in Paris 1986-1987. The National Grand Lodge of France (GLNF) is the only Grand Lodge in France, that is recognized by the mother Grand Lodge in England. All other groups are clandestine.

The GLNF heaquarters building was located in Neuilly, a Paris suburb. The building is probably still there. When I lived in Paris, I attended Stability/Concord Lodge #19/42, which was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. The lodge meets with the California ritual, and uses the English language only. Many of the members are French masons, who like to practice English, and associate with Americans.

I advise you to contact the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, and get information on this lodge.

Also, you should be very discreet about wearing Masonic jewelry and other Masonic identification. Masonry is very low-key in Europe. Be cautious about openly advertising your Masonic membership.