mason 101?

tyche_rising

Hello,

I've come to this site to inquire about the possibility of joining a local masonic lodge/chapter.

First off, I probably should introduce myself to further help evaluate my present status as A potential Brother.

I'm 23 years old and currently reside in Indianapolis and seek to find a deeper connection with the community that surrounds me. While I may study politics I'm very uncomfortable with the thought of getting involved through the democratic or republican community. I wish to meet and see fellow citizens as collective individuals and not as a party or foe of a party. I'm presently A-religious (for lack of a better term) but I do not despise people who are religious nor do I dismiss somebody based on class or category before actually meeting them.

I am however familiar with the mainstream image of Freemasons (for the better or the worse) but I rarely believe anything mainstream I hear, you could say I'm an explorer and do not judge things until I've tried them.

And on a side note, I have tried emailing one of the lodges here in my city and no reply. Perhaps I am unqualified....

Anyways some help or insight into to my situation would be eternally appreciated.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Hello,

I've come to this site to inquire about the possibility of joining a local masonic lodge/chapter.

First off, I probably should introduce myself to further help evaluate my present status as A potential Brother.

I'm 23 years old and currently reside in Indianapolis and seek to find a deeper connection with the community that surrounds me. While I may study politics I'm very uncomfortable with the thought of getting involved through the democratic or republican community. I wish to meet and see fellow citizens as collective individuals and not as a party or foe of a party. I'm presently A-religious (for lack of a better term) but I do not despise people who are religious nor do I dismiss somebody based on class or category before actually meeting them.

I am however familiar with the mainstream image of Freemasons (for the better or the worse) but I rarely believe anything mainstream I hear, you could say I'm an explorer and do not judge things until I've tried them.

And on a side note, I have tried emailing one of the lodges here in my city and no reply. Perhaps I am unqualified....

Anyways some help or insight into to my situation would be eternally appreciated.
Thanks for contacting this forum. We are mostly Masons and some on their way to becoming Masons so you've come to the right place. There are three basic qualifications to become a "mainstream" Mason:
  • Belief in a Supreme Being. What you call that being and how you worship Him is none of our concern so long as you hold yourself accountable to it. We use the term "Grand Archetech of the Universe".
  • Be a man of good reputation. We don't make bad men good, we make good men better. By "man" you need to be of legal age and you are.
  • Be able to afford the time and money it takes to be a Mason without injury to your family. The dues run between $75 and $500 per year with an average of about $150.
You say you are "presently A-religious" I'm not sure what that means. You will be asked if you believe in a Supreme Being.

When I say "good reputation", that means no felony convictions and be able (at least in my state) to provide six character references.

Many Lodges "go dark" (don't meet) during the summer, so I'm not surprised that you haven't heard back from the lodge you emailed right away. The main point of contact for lodges is their secretary. Usually, there's a phone number to contact him.

There are two topics that we do not discuss in Lodge: Politics and Religion. These topics are likely to divide men and we strive for harmony.

I'm sure others will chime in. Please ask any questions you might have. Beside this site, one of my personal favorites is AskaFreemason.org :. Home

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Windrider sums it up there are differences between each jurisdiction. There are a lot of instances that potential members are trying to get a hold of someone but the Lodge that normally owns the building is only in it a few times a month. Around here at least.

FF Sparky

Email is how I got in. I went on the State Grand Lodge website, entered my info and I had a phone call the next night. But as mentioned before alot of Lodges are closed for July and August, so you may have to wait till September to try to contact someone. You are suppose to know a Mason. But meeting with them will provide someone to vouch for you.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
The Indiana Grand Lodge of F&AM is in
Indiana Freemasons' Hall
P.O. Box 44210
525 N. Illinois. St.
Indianapolis, IN 46244-0210
317-634-7904
877-247-MASON

Their website is at
Home
You can locate a nearby lodge by zip code by clicking "lodge locator."

You may well find that you are already well acquainted with a Mason, perhaps in your current or a past neighborhood. It is a serious thing to sign a man's petition; if you don't know a Mason now to vouch for you, it may take a while, by socializing with some.

I was Raised at North Park Lodge #646 in Indianapolis in 1977, but have been in NC and a member here for around 30 years.

Oh! I should not leave out the Prince Hall Grand Lodge: Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Indiana
Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Indiana
5605 East 38th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46218
Tel. (317) 546-8062 Fax (317) 546-8071

Prince Hall Masonry was historically composed of black men, the 'mainstream' lodges of whites, but in Indiana and most other states, there is mutual recognition and visitation, and the decision of which one to join is purely personal preference now.

Call around! Visit a few lodges, and you'll find one that fits your social feelings (each lodge seems to have its own flavor).

S&F

VinnyC

There are Freemason books that you can read such as the Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry and Freemasonry for dummies. They're both good books to get the jist of what Freemasonry is about. Try not to get the books that are anti-Freemasonry because most are hoaxes and are all speculative of what the past had said about Freemasons. Another really good book to read is call "Born in Blood". A very good read for new and older Freemasons. It will give you the histories about origins of names, such as Tylers, Lodges and also DeMoylay. Hope this helps.