Masonic Attire Question

AngelicHuman

I was looking at the men from my local mason lodge, and noticed a group picture with the worshipful master and his officers. They looked very well dressed. I noticed the worshipful master had a hat and others did not. That made sense to me, common sense told me that worshipful masters wear a hat, but there was only one of them that had purple, and the rest had blue. Im referring to the clothing that was worn below the waste. It kind of resembles an apron. Excuse me if thats offesive comparing it to an apron. I just dont know how to describe it. Well why does the one who isnt the worshipful master have the colors as purple and everyone else has blue?

G

Gary

In New Jersey, I believe the purple border and tassel on the apron denotes a Past Master (previous Worshipful Master of a Lodge).

The Worshipful Master is the elected officer who runs the Lodge. After his term of office, it's customary in many jurisdictions to present him with a special apron that he wears to show his prior service in that office.

DavisB

I was looking at the men from my local mason lodge, and noticed a group picture with the worshipful master and his officers. They looked very well dressed. I noticed the worshipful master had a hat and others did not. That made sense to me, common sense told me that worshipful masters wear a hat, but there was only one of them that had purple, and the rest had blue. Im referring to the clothing that was worn below the waste. It kind of resembles an apron. Excuse me if thats offesive comparing it to an apron. I just dont know how to describe it. Well why does the one who isnt the worshipful master have the colors as purple and everyone else has blue?
Apron is the correct name. It could be because the man with the purple is a Past Grand Master of NJ or possibly because he is a Past Master of that (or another) lodge.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Apron is the correct name. It could be because the man with the purple is a Past Grand Master of NJ or possibly because he is a Past Master of that (or another) lodge.
Masons wear the apron for a particular reason it is one of the three principal symbols used throughout Masonry.

pdh825

Master Mason
You are absolutely correct, we do wear aprons. I can't speak for other jurisdictions, but here in NY, purple denotes that a brother is currently or at one time held a position in the Grand Lodge for that jurisdiction.

AngelicHuman

oh i see, simple enough to understand. I agree, if i ran an organization, I would want previous leaders to be noticed for their past achievements as well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
oh i see, simple enough to understand. I agree, if i ran an organization, I would want previous leaders to be noticed for their past achievements as well.
Not all lodges can afford to do this mind you , my lodge being a small country lodge can not , and if we want a Past Master apron we must buy our own . But that is not a problem for some of us . There are some Masons who have just as many Past Master/members Aprons as their wives have purses !

And also , Purple in my jurisdiction would denote a Grand Line/Past Grand Line Officer .

AngelicHuman

Hey ashlar, you avatar is nice. I love the history of northern europe.

There is a very excellent swedish title called Arn: The Knights Templar. And a second film.

There is english subtitles for the first, and also half the movie is english speaking anyway. Its about a boy whos journey with the church leads him into becoming the knights templar, and he is sent on a mission to serve for his country. I highly recommend watching it

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Hey ashlar, you avatar is nice. I love the history of northern europe.

There is a very excellent swedish title called Arn: The Knights Templar. And a second film.

There is english subtitles for the first, and also half the movie is english speaking anyway. Its about a boy whos journey with the church leads him into becoming the knights templar, and he is sent on a mission to serve for his country. I highly recommend watching it
I'll look into the movie , I use this avatar because I am a Sir Knight in the York Rite .

Duncan1574

I got a Month trial card Bro Russ that I can PM you if you really want to watch it now
Nay, working today then my first Masonic funeral this afternoon, 60yr Brother has demitted from his mortal coil and has been granted entry to the Celestal Lodge. He request was for as many Brothers as could make it.

Duncan1574

Nay, working today then my first Masonic funeral this afternoon, 60yr Brother has demitted from his mortal coil and has been granted entry to the Celestal Lodge. He request was for as many Brothers as could make it.
There were 25 Brothers there, at was a lot of evergreen...............