Masonic Trivia

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Ok, what President raised two of his sons the same night. It was at Architect Lodge #519 in NY for a clue.

cummins tuner

Vide, Aude Tace
FDR i belive..........i got the next question

In 1860, there was found a stone in a small chapel, dated 1517, with the following inscription: "I will serve to live with love & care, upon the level, and by the square."

where was this stone found? country and city/town

Chris From California

Proud Master Mason
FDR i belive..........i got the next question

In 1860, there was found a stone in a small chapel, dated 1517, with the following inscription: "I will serve to live with love & care, upon the level, and by the square."

where was this stone found? country and city/town
That would be Limerick, Ireland

In 1952, what percent of the U.S. Supreme Court Justices were Freemasons?

RoughAshlar

Where does the below statement about masonry come from?

"The guiding thought is not religion but religious toleration .... The Masonic fraternity refrains from intruding into the field of religion and confines itself to the teaching of morality and duty to one's fellow men, which makes better men and better citizens.
"The distinction is clear between such ethical teachings and the doctrines of religion. One cannot espouse a religion without belief and faith in its peculiar doctrines. A fraternity broad enough to take in and cover with its mantle Christian, Moslem and Jew, without requiring him to renounce his religion, is not a religious organization, although its members may join in prayer which, in the case of each, is a petition addressed to his own Deity. Neither can the belief in the immortality of the soul be denominated religious in the sense that it is typical of any religion, of any race, or of any age. It constitutes one of the most beautiful and consoling features of our own religion, but it is equally found in almost every other. It is so unusual and spontaneous that it is not so much belief or dogma as it is an instinct of the human soul. Neither does it imply or require adherence to any system of religious worship.
"The fact that belief in the doctrines or deity of no particular religion is required, of itself refutes the theory that the Masonic ritual embodies a religion, or that its teachings are religious." (10)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Where does the below statement about masonry come from?

"The guiding thought is not religion but religious toleration .... The Masonic fraternity refrains from intruding into the field of religion and confines itself to the teaching of morality and duty to one's fellow men, which makes better men and better citizens.
"The distinction is clear between such ethical teachings and the doctrines of religion. One cannot espouse a religion without belief and faith in its peculiar doctrines. A fraternity broad enough to take in and cover with its mantle Christian, Moslem and Jew, without requiring him to renounce his religion, is not a religious organization, although its members may join in prayer which, in the case of each, is a petition addressed to his own Deity. Neither can the belief in the immortality of the soul be denominated religious in the sense that it is typical of any religion, of any race, or of any age. It constitutes one of the most beautiful and consoling features of our own religion, but it is equally found in almost every other. It is so unusual and spontaneous that it is not so much belief or dogma as it is an instinct of the human soul. Neither does it imply or require adherence to any system of religious worship.
"The fact that belief in the doctrines or deity of no particular religion is required, of itself refutes the theory that the Masonic ritual embodies a religion, or that its teachings are religious." (10)
RoughAshlar , that was a tough one but I think I finally found the answer .
This came from the Supreme Court of Nebraska years ago in a case were some considered Freemasonry a religion .

RoughAshlar

You got it Ashlar! I was beginning to think I should post an easier one to get things going again.

Anyone have another one?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think we need some rules to this .

1)Someone asks a question.
2)Someone answers the question .
3)The person who asks the question makes the descision if his question is answered correctly .
4)If answered correctly , the person who answered the question has to post the next question .

Esquire

Master Mason
What was Thomas Smith Webb's contributions to Masonry ?

There are 2 answers to this .
1. His Masonic monitor.

2. The organization of the York Rite as a national appendant body to Blue Lodge masonry, including the founding of the Knights Templar in the US.

walls0stone

A lewis is an instrument in operative masonry. It is a cramp iron which is inserted into a cavity prepared for that purpose in any large stone, so as to give attachment to a pulley and hook whereby the stone may be conveniently raised to any height and deposited in its proper position.

Lewis Pins or Pins lewis...I'm a stone mason who works with out mortar of any kind..cuts stone by hand. I have been for 10 years.

Esquire

Master Mason
The Grand Lodge of my state (South Carolina) has what unique distinction among Grand Lodges in the US? How did it get this distinction?