Masons launch child ID program

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Parents will soon be able to get their hands on a high-tech record of their children in the event they ever go missing under a new campaign being launched by the Masons of Ontario.
The MasoniCHIP program is being supported by the St. Lawrence District, Eastern District and Frontenac District Masonic Lodges, which are planning clinics throughout the region to record information on compact discs.
John Hunter, program co-ordinator for St. Lawrence District, which encompasses 14 lodges in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark counties, said a missing child is something nobody wants to contemplate but it's better to be prepared if it ever occurs.
"We hope that nobody ever has to use them, that they just lay there and collect dust," he said.
At the clinics, a photo and brief video will be taken of a child by web cam and they will speak into a microphone to record a voice-scan. Digital fingerprints and a dental impression will also be taken. In addition a DNA swab will be taken and sealed in a plastic bag.
Both the CD and bag will be given to the parents.

http://newsfeed.recorder.ca/cgi-bin/LiveIQue.acgi$rec=24967

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Our lodge has participated in several of these programs, We even were lucky enough to purchase a camera for the program, and to sponsor a local one. This is an excellent program for the community, and the safety of our children. Lord knows the path which most areas of the world has taken, any bit of information, no matter how small, which may help identify a young victim, is well worth any money spent.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is why I want to raise dues in my lodge , so we can start up programs that benefit the community . As of now , we don't have the funds for these programs and if we keep paying these low dues we never will .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
How much does this run your lodge and where do you get information on this ? I've been doing a search on line but there is so many to choose from .

Gary Christian

Algoma District MasoniCh.I.P Program

We launched our district program on Jan 19, 2008. To-date we have issued over 730 child ID kits. Since January, we raised over $20,000 dollars through donations from individuals, masons and local business and organizations. This gave us the ability to buy 5 ID machines with the 6th one to follow. There is a huge demand for our service in our region. Our CHIP committee will be meeting set up new dates for possible new clinics. Some of which may be "The Teddy Bear" picinic, the Canadian Lakehead Exhibition, Thunder Bay "Trade Show" and possibly the Shrine Circus.

We found it was important to partner up the Lakehead Shrine Club and the Masonic Association as it gives the MasoniCh.I.P program a greater opportunity for more masonic involvement. Our volunteers include masons and their ladies, partners or significant others, individuals wanting to support our program and students from the community college who are taking the Police Foundations and Early Childhood/Education programs. For them, it is an opporturnity to gain experience.

With a little work, the MasoniCh.I.P program can and will be successful throughout Ontario.

Bros. Christian, Fundraising Coordinator, Algoma District MasoniCh.I.P program.

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
My district is also involved in the CHIP program and has been for a wile.. My 2 kids had it done last year. This was one of the programs that inspired me to join.
Parents love the Idea.