EA Topic Master certification

Winter

I've been here before
First off, as has been posted, most jurisdictions in the US require the business of the Lodge to be conducted in the Third Degree. I won't debate the merits, or lack thereof, of excluding EA's and FC's from the business of the Lodge.

But the business of the Lodge in my opinion is just that, the business of the Lodge, and should be done in a Tyled Lodge.

That being said, when a Lodge spends so much of it's time on just the everyday business of the Lodge during a stated communication it will serve no purpose other than to make the members not want to go and if they do attend they can't wait to go home. We put so much more focus on the mundane administration of our Lodges that we never have the time for what we are supposed to be focusing on. The personal and collective growth of Masons and our Order.

If the Lodge meeting has been completely taken over by the everyday administration business of the Lodge it seems to me that the problem is in the organization of how the business is handled, not whether we conduct the business in a Tyled format or whether we have enough people that know the ritual.

I'm not harshing your Lodge Fireman! lol Merely suggesting that most Lodges in the US could do with a dose of reorganization. :)

First off, as has been posted, most jurisdictions in the US require the business of the Lodge to be conducted in the Third Degree. I won't debate the merits, or lack thereof, of excluding EA's and FC's from the business of the Lodge.

But the business of the Lodge in my opinion is just that, the business of the Lodge, and should be done in a Tyled Lodge.

That being said, when a Lodge spends so much of it's time on just the everyday business of the Lodge during a stated communication it will serve no purpose other than to make the members not want to go and if they do attend they can't wait to go home. We put so much more focus on the mundane administration of our Lodges that we never have the time for what we are supposed to be focusing on. The personal and collective growth of Masons and our Order.

If the Lodge meeting has been completely taken over by the everyday administration business of the Lodge it seems to me that the problem is in the organization of how the business is handled, not whether we conduct the business in a Tyled format or whether we have enough people that know the ritual.

I'm not harshing your Lodge Fireman! lol Merely suggesting that most Lodges in the US could do with a dose of reorganization. :)
SMIB to the part in BOLD....

I agree with the reorganization.... I still dont see a valid reason as to why the "business meeting" needs to be tyled.....because that is the way it has always been is not a valid reason to me....Here we can open in any degree so that is not an issue of inclusion for the EA & FC.....I still feel a "tyled" lodge is for ritual, education, practice, learning new chairs etc..... I dont believe it (business affairs) should be open to John Q Public...it can be a private meeting.... just find the notion of it being ritualistic meeting pointless.

edwmax

1...WHY...is there something unique about the bills in GA?

2) I agree with Education...but why do it the same night as the business meeting....have them separate...the do it in full ritual form....

To ME....a tyled Lodge should be : Degree work, practice of ritual, Masonic Education and other ceremonies....

When we discuss business ie bills, if we are gonna have a pic-nic, set up the lawn mowing etc really doesnt have a masonic theme......I did the exact same thing in the volunteer fire department I used to belong to....these are not secrets....who cares if someone hears if our electric bill is $100.00 or we can afford to hire a lawn service so we have to get volunteers to mow....THIS is NOT a masonic meeting ...it is just a meeting where the members of the Masonic Lodge gather to take care of the formalities of taking care of the property....

I understand that is how it has been done for MANY...MANY years and I know it WONT change....I just have an opinion and would like to hear a reason why paying bills should be done in a tyled meeting.
Bills are the business of all members; NOT backroom politics of a select few. And, Lodge business can not be conducted other than stated Meetings, nor before stated time of the meeting and must be properly recorded in the Lodge minutes. ... If a member doesn't show up, then that is his problem.

"To ME....a tyled Lodge should be ...." ... When you become Grand Master, you can dictate that to your jurisdiction. ... But Georgia Code stipulates business to be conducted within the Lodge.

Bills are the business of all members; NOT backroom politics of a select few. And, Lodge business can not be conducted other than stated Meetings, nor before stated time of the meeting and must be properly recorded in the Lodge minutes. ... If a member doesn't show up, then that is his problem.

"To ME....a tyled Lodge should be ...." ... When you become Grand Master, you can dictate that to your jurisdiction. ... But Georgia Code stipulates business to be conducted within the Lodge.
Never said they should be for a select few.....never said it couldnt be a stated....here a stated is one that is at a set time....never said minutes shouldnt be recorded.....

I am NOT trying to dictate anything....just a mere expression of my humble opinions.....I do know what the "code" says here too...which is the same as GA....but that still doesnt give a valid "MASONIC" reason as to why a business meeting should be held in a tyled lodge...... I have no inclination to make even the remotest attempt to change it.... just talk amongst friends and Brothers

If the code book said we had to wear our undies and an apron and thats it in Lodge...would that make it a Masonic reason to do it?.....NO....I get that the "code" book says to....I still want a "Masonic" reason....if there is on

Winter

I've been here before
If the code book said we had to wear our undies and an apron and thats it in Lodge...would that make it a Masonic reason to do it?.....NO....I get that the "code" book says to....I still want a "Masonic" reason....if there is on
Because we are an Order whose foundation of everything we do is based in and on the ritualized way of doing everything we do. It makes sense to me that even the mundane matters we deal with should be part of our ritualized way of doing things.

Because we are an Order whose foundation of everything we do is based in and on the ritualized way of doing everything we do. It makes sense to me that even the mundane matters we deal with should be part of our ritualized way of doing things.
Except we basically use "Roberts Rules of Order" for our business meetings ( the exact format we use in Lodge is the same as it was/is at the VFD I was on)...but I can appreciate this answer...it is more than the code says too...

Winter

I've been here before
Doing even the everyday business of the Lodge in a ritualized manner tells the Masons involved and the world at large that this is Masonic business being done by Freemasons. It serves as a distinct means of seperating what we do from the rest of the world. That it is something apart and different, unique and special. Even if it is just to fix the leaky roof.

Thank you. Having knowledge is useless if you cannot pass it to others successfully. :)
EXACTLY......I didnt mean to be argumentative (with anyone) but using the "code" is not a true Masonic reason....all to often it is used as a crutch because one can not give any other Masonic reason....

Asking questions is a logical process after the completion of the degree work....well in my thought process anyways

If I want to discuss something Masonic, in lodge is the best place to do it. Even if it's just a business meeting. And if we're tyled, we cans speak freely without regards to secrets. Hard staying on topic with statement about undies and aprons!!

If I want to discuss something Masonic, in lodge is the best place to do it. Even if it's just a business meeting. And if we're tyled, we cans speak freely without regards to secrets. Hard staying on topic with statement about undies and aprons!!
BUTT:D:eek::p....we successfully have done it....

G

Gary

BUTT:D:eek::p....we successfully have done it....
Fireman, Bro. Donahue obviously hasn't been conferred the sacred Masonic Squirrel Degree yet! LOL:D:p

LOL, He hasn't lost his mind yet... I'm sure our "linear discussions" are making him wonder though.:D

Bro. Donahue, We only kid with those that we like, so please don't be offended by our cheekiness.
I'm going straight home to refreshen on some Chip and Dale cartoons. If memory serves me right, those two chipmunks always got the best of their antagonists;)

G

Gary

That's the spirit Brother! :cool:

Hey, wait a minute...I'm one of the antagonists! :eek: