Naming the Lodges

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You know, I have often wondered about this, but never asked. I will see what I can find out for you though.

mystangs

Ours was named for the city, and was the fourth lodge in the state.

Hence, Fredericksburg No. 4

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is an interesting topic and I would like to bump it up so others who know the history of their lodges of the who , how and why their lodges are named as they are .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I live in Racine, WI. There were two lodges here: Racine Lodge #18 and Belle City Lodge #92. We combined into Racine-Belle City Lodge #18. Racine is known as 'The Belle City'.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Lodges in Massachusetts do not have numbers, only names. It seems there were two GLs in Mass and when they merged, they did not think any Lodge would take kindly to having a higher number than before as would be inevitable. The numbers were dipensed with all together as a result. I'm not sure how the names were chosen, but they were the same names the Lodge was originally chartered under. I would assume the founding members could pick their Lodge name as long as it was not already taken.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
In Nebraska, the men who requested a dispensation from Grand Lodge to form a subordinate lodge chose a name, if the Grand Lodge saw fit to allow the name they did so. If not they requested the Lodge UD (under dispensation) to chose another name, if they were unable to then Grand Lodge chose a name for the Lodge UD.

The men who asked for the dispensation originally chose "Custer Lodge" in July, 1885, but there was a colonel who was an (pardon the negativity) "indian fighter" who chased Geronimo into Mexico and while under a flag of truce was killed by the Mexican army in early Jan. 1886. Thus when the Nebraska Grand Lodge returned the charter on June 17, 1886 they had put the name "Emmet Crawford Lodge #148" on said charter and that it was to be used instead of "Custer" for the lodge name. The name was changed when there had been so many lodges in Custer County NE. consolidate with Emmet Crawford Lodge that at the centennial rededication in 1971 the name was officially change to Custer Lodge #148.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In Nebraska, the men who requested a dispensation from Grand Lodge to form a subordinate lodge chose a name, if the Grand Lodge saw fit to allow the name they did so. If not they requested the Lodge UD (under dispensation) to chose another name, if they were unable to then Grand Lodge chose a name for the Lodge UD.

The men who asked for the dispensation originally chose "Custer Lodge" in July, 1885, but there was a colonel who was an (pardon the negativity) "indian fighter" who chased Geronimo into Mexico and while under a flag of truce was killed by the Mexican army in early Jan. 1886. Thus when the Nebraska Grand Lodge returned the charter on June 17, 1886 they had put the name "Emmet Crawford Lodge #148" on said charter and that it was to be used instead of "Custer" for the lodge name. The name was changed when there had been so many lodges in Custer County NE. consolidate with Emmet Crawford Lodge that at the centennial rededication in 1971 the name was officially change to Custer Lodge #148.
Now that was interesting .

Winter

I've been here before
Despite its numerical ranking, my Lodge, Benjamin Franklin No. 83 is, in fact, a new lodge. Its predecessor, Concordia No. 83, was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin in 1857. Concordia No. 83 was a German-speaking lodge that worked in one of the French Rites. In 1882, Concordia No. 83 surrendered its charter and jewels. Its remaining members transferred either to Madison Lodge No. 5 or Hiram Lodge No. 50.

In 2006 our group of predominantly Madison-area Masons, known as the Leather Apron Club, named for the Masonic group that Ben Franklin had, decided to form a Lodge based on Concordia No. 83. Instead of the French Rite, we decided to work in the Emulation Rite as well as making several other changes to bring back the traditional "flavor" of Freemasonry. Grand Master Rodney Allen Paulsen granted our request for a dispensation on October 29, 2006.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Despite its numerical ranking, my Lodge, Benjamin Franklin No. 83 is, in fact, a new lodge. Its predecessor, Concordia No. 83, was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin in 1857. Concordia No. 83 was a German-speaking lodge that worked in one of the French Rites. In 1882, Concordia No. 83 surrendered its charter and jewels. Its remaining members transferred either to Madison Lodge No. 5 or Hiram Lodge No. 50.

In 2006 our group of predominantly Madison-area Masons, known as the Leather Apron Club, named for the Masonic group that Ben Franklin had, decided to form a Lodge based on Concordia No. 83. Instead of the French Rite, we decided to work in the Emulation Rite as well as making several other changes to bring back the traditional "flavor" of Freemasonry. Grand Master Rodney Allen Paulsen granted our request for a dispensation on October 29, 2006.
Again , very interesting . Keep these stories coming .