need some guidance

OldGlory

hello everyone,

like many people on this planet i got drawn to freemasonry, it happened as soon as i moved to DC. none of my family members (i think) where or are freemasons, but i know that a lot of family friends, especially my father's friends are. i am 23 years old, and a graduate student, i moved here to get my degree in masters in Finance. DC is full of masonic culture like a lot of you already know, and i feel like masonry is something that i want to learn and practice. I don't know how to approach it, i didn't know anyone that was in it (or at least i thought i didn't) until i found out recently that the people or family friends that are the closest to me were freemasons. i come from a third world country, which struggled a lot in recent years, and i tried helping in every possible way. I was an active blood donor( 5 times a year), a volunteer in the fire department and an active charity promoter and activist back home. Here in DC i applied to all of these activities and i got rejected because i was not a citizen of the USA, which i understand completely.

I needed a social security number to get things going, and the person who helped me get a job and who hired me ( a close family friend) turned out to be a mason, so did 2 of the people that are "taking care" of me. It is in my nature to get involved in in "Associations" and fraternities that contribute positively to my environment for some reason, maybe because of the rough background that my native country had. and which affected me.

7 months passed by, and i feel like it's about time that i try and petition to get in my local lodge ( third lodge) but like most of the non-masons i do not know how to approach it. i contacted the lodge and asked if i could attend the next "open" event last night, and by today i got 3 responses saying that i can attend the dinner before the masonic lodge meeting.

I would like to know what i should do or who should i ask to try and get my petition to apply. I haven't talked to any of the close people that i know about it yet and i am kind of hesitant about doing so (talking to them about the petition that is), all 3 of them were PMs. I would greatly appreciate some guidance about this, since i feel like i am really interested in it.
I apologize for wiriting my life story in this thread :eek: but there no other way to describe my nature virtually.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
In my opinion, your best course of action would be to talk to those who you are closest to that you have identified in your opening that are all PM's. Tell them of your interest, and identify your desire to learn more about the fraternity, and possibly petition it. If they are in fact PM's, they will be more than happy to talk to you about Freemasonry, and about your interest and petition. Attending the dinner before a meeting is also a great way to meet the members and visiting brethren of that particular lodge. If you attend, I have no doubt that you will quickly identify the officers of that lodge, approach one of them and ask to speak with them about the fraternity. I have no doubt, any brother having that request presented to them, will go out of their way to answer any questions you may have.
Good luck.

OldGlory

Thanks for your input BG, i will attend the next dinner and will post again. And meanwhile i will ask those people about the fraternity as you suggested and see what kind of response i will be getting.

OldGlory

Hi again
Today i went to the dinner before the meeting and got to meet a lot of good people and even got invited to some builders club? which i understood was somekind of an unformal" get together for some cigar smoking. i will attend the next coming meetings until i feel that i am ready for the next step and ask for my petition. any thoughts?

thanks

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Hi again
Today i went to the dinner before the meeting and got to meet a lot of good people and even got invited to some builders club? which i understood was somekind of an unformal" get together for some cigar smoking. i will attend the next coming meetings until i feel that i am ready for the next step and ask for my petition. any thoughts?

thanks
You're doing all the right things. I might suggest you check out other lodges, too so you can find the group that you get along with best. Lodges vary widely depending on the goals of the members and Master. The Lodge I belong to, for example, is known as a fun-loving group with lots of activities. Other Lodges, even in the same building, have the reputation of being serious groups who cherish the esoteric side of the Craft. They have study groups, we have disc golf tournaments :)

OldGlory

the WM and other members gave me the same advice, so i visited a couple of other lodges in DC, it's very interesting how lodges have different views and opinions and just different general atmosphere. I am still planning on visiting 2 more lodges before i make an informed decision. I am glad i attended other dinners, i learned much more.
Thanks for your input Windrider.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
the WM and other members gave me the same advice, so i visited a couple of other lodges in DC, it's very interesting how lodges have different views and opinions and just different general atmosphere. I am still planning on visiting 2 more lodges before i make an informed decision. I am glad i attended other dinners, i learned much more.
Thanks for your input Windrider.
You're very welcome. The Lodge you choose to petition will, in all likelihood, be the place you will learn what it means to be a Mason. You will experience so many wonderful things on your journey. Many refer to the first Lodge you join as their "Mother Lodge" and that's a great way to look at it. After you are Raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason you can sit in Lodge anywhere but you will always remember your "Mother" fondly.