Non craft lodge titles

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
When members stand and introduce themselves in open lodge , does your lodge/jurisdiction allow titles in the YR/SR/OES/Shrine to be included ?

And second question , do you agree with it ?

We have one lodge that makes it a point to have 33rd/KCCH SR Masons stand and be recognized , but leaves out YR titles such as KYCH and other titles and accolades in other bodies . If they are going to do this , it should be fair and include the KYCH in the YR and other accolades from the various other bodies .

In the Craft lodge , we all meet on the level . If one wishes to add PM or the title of the office they hold in the Craft Lodge chair line is fine . But I believe that all other titles from the various bodies should be left outside the Craft Lodge doors .

This also goes with lodges who have several 33rd SR Masons as members . These lodges in my area have hung huge pictures of them in the lodge room itself . Do you think this is proper ? Because , again , I believe these outside titles , rank , accolades should be left out of the Craft lodge . Now my second lodge is also a YR temple , but it has a designated place for pictures of YR Masons and it is NOT in the Lodge room .

Winter

I've been here before
If it is not part of the Craft Lodge, leave it out, I say.

Interesting point. In the manual for Tyler supplied by the UGLE one of the duties of the Tyler is to make sure Brothers are wearing no pins or regalia from Appendant Bodies. Craft Masonry only.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I dont think they should be recognized by any other title than their craft title.

Also in the way of pins- i have no problem with one pin on the lapel, but these jokers who wear them like merit badges need to get a grip.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If it is not part of the Craft Lodge, leave it out, I say.

Interesting point. In the manual for Tyler supplied by the UGLE one of the duties of the Tyler is to make sure Brothers are wearing no pins or regalia from Appendant Bodies. Craft Masonry only.
I agree , and in my area those SR Masons are the worst offenders , the YR and other bodies are good for leaving that kind of stuff outside the Craft lodge room . It is these 33rds in my area who love to throw that title around in the lodge . I have noticed that they have quit calling themselves 33rd degree Masons though , and switched to 33rd degree SCOTTISH RITE Masons .

And before anyone jumps up and down , I am not bashing 33rds as I normally do , I am just saying it has NO PLACE in the Craft Lodge .

goomba

I say it depends. At times, such as if an appendant body has asked to speak at the Craft Lodge, it is permissible. Not just because it's Thursday. Also at our GL communication in 2012 the recognized distinguished visitors, starting with PGM's of the GL, then visiting Craft grand officers, visiting PGM's of other jurisdictions, and lastly grand officers of other bodies.

Winter

I've been here before
Goomba, I agree with you. It is a different matter if they are visiting the Craft Lodge as a representative of the Appendant Body.

MWS

Come to think of it, self introductions tend to be just, "Bro. Smith from [insert Lodge and District]." Regardless of additional titles. If the Bro. is wearing regalia indicating a PM or GL the Master of Lodge or Master of Ceremonies will usually take note and welcome them first...indicating Craft Lodge rank only.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I say it depends. At times, such as if an appendant body has asked to speak at the Craft Lodge, it is permissible. Not just because it's Thursday. Also at our GL communication in 2012 the recognized distinguished visitors, starting with PGM's of the GL, then visiting Craft grand officers, visiting PGM's of other jurisdictions, and lastly grand officers of other bodies.
It is according to the GM here , but normally the mucky mucks of the other bodies are brought in before we are open at GL session along with the heads of the OES , Rainbow Girls , and other youth groups . After we are open all PGMs' , then visiting Grand Lodge officers are brought in and given public grand honors .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I've only seen a 33rd addressed in my lodge as Illustrious once and that was last night during our "step up night" where everyone sits in the office above the one they hold. I personally have no problem with it in this case because this man deserves the title and any honors we can give him. I think it would be a mistake to recognize all of the officers of the other bodies by title and the acting Master may have been mistaken in that case. There were York Rite and Shrine officers there and their titles were not mentioned. All past and presiding Masters are always recognized as such. Any visiting brother's office will be mentioned when he is introduced.

When I am on the DDGM's suite, I am introduced as "brother John Ruggiero, Senior Deacon of Ancient York Lodge".

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I've only seen a 33rd addressed in my lodge as Illustrious once and that was last night during our "step up night" where everyone sits in the office above the one they hold. I personally have no problem with it in this case because this man deserves the title and any honors we can give him. I think it would be a mistake to recognize all of the officers of the other bodies by title and the acting Master may have been mistaken in that case. There were York Rite and Shrine officers there and their titles were not mentioned. All past and presiding Masters are always recognized as such. Any visiting brother's office will be mentioned when he is introduced.

When I am on the DDGM's suite, I am introduced as "brother John Ruggiero, Senior Deacon of Ancient York Lodge".
Just as a point of debate, and not of argument... why would any brother be addressed by another bodies title if he is not acting in that capacity at the time? Seems to me that protocol would dictate doing so would imply that he is somehow more important than the other brethren, and not on the Level with other MM's. I'm sure this 33rd is a great guy, jes sayin...

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Just as a point of debate, and not of argument... why would any brother be addressed by another bodies title if he is not acting in that capacity at the time? Seems to me that protocol would dictate doing so would imply that he is somehow more important than the other brethren, and not on the Level with other MM's. I'm sure this 33rd is a great guy, jes sayin...
I completely agree. This was the SW sitting as Master for the first time and most of us call the brother "Illustrious" partly to get his goat and partly out of respect. He absolutely hates being called anything other than Brother while in the Craft Lodge. He's also a Past Master and when he's been called "Worshipful", he says, "Brother is fine." I think it was just a habit and a bit of nervousness on the SW's part. Like I said before, this is the first time I've ever heard any non-Craft Lodge title used in my lodge.

This is showing me just how closely the Master is watched while he is in the East. I'm getting a bit nervous about that as the plan is for me to be sitting there in two short years.