Protectling your "light" ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have read on the interent from Brothers who are members of PHA lodges about having to protect your light . Firstly it took some reading to figure out that the "Light" they were refering too was nothing more than Masonic rings and other trinkets with Masonic insignias on them . So I just have to ask these questions , why must you protect your "Light" ? Whom are you protecting your 'Light" from ? What happens if you can not protect your "Light" , aka: your property ? And lastly , is this done in public ?

Only curious .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Ashlar, I am curious about this, too. In Alaska, where I was raised, the PHA brothers will not leave the Lodge room with their aprons down, they fold them up so that nobody can see 'the light'. I've often wondered where this came from and how far it goes.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have never heard about the apron being folded up when out of the lodge room before , this has really peaked my curiosity now .

Winter

I've been here before
I was taught that "protecting your Light" is a manner of giving the grip out in the world using both hands so that the profane cannot see it.

Basically, as you give the grip, both Brothers cover the hands being clasped to "protect the Light."

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That may be true , but I have been doing some more reading on PHA sites and some Brothers think they have the right to remove and KEEP another Brothers ring , lapel pin or what have you if they can not answer questions posed to them concerning Freemasonry and they only get it back when they do their homework and answer the questions correctly .

Winter

I've been here before
That's where I learned it from as well. But as for removing someone's symbols of the craft, hmmmm.

Although, let me play devil's advocate here for a sec, Shouldn't every Mason know how to answer the basic questions of the Craft to be able to mark themselves?

I can see where that would be an interesting game to play ammong Brothers for fun. Put a question to a Brother and if he cannot answer it, you get to hold his ring or pin ransom till he does answer it. It would be, I think, a fun way to make Brothers "want" to keep raising the bar.

I bring the idea to my friends, though they won't want to play with me since I study Masonry ALL the time! lol

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That's where I learned it from as well. But as for removing someone's symbols of the craft, hmmmm.

Although, let me play devil's advocate here for a sec, Shouldn't every Mason know how to answer the basic questions of the Craft to be able to mark themselves?

I can see where that would be an interesting game to play ammong Brothers for fun. Put a question to a Brother and if he cannot answer it, you get to hold his ring or pin ransom till he does answer it. It would be, I think, a fun way to make Brothers "want" to keep raising the bar.

I bring the idea to my friends, though they won't want to play with me since I study Masonry ALL the time! lol
True that Masons should be able to answer basic questions , BUT no man has the right to take another man's property . And also , maybe if it is a game among brothers in your own lodge who have agreed to play the "game" . But I still wouldn't give up my property to those in my own lodge . I could hear my wife now , "where is your ring !?" , my answer "I could not answer a question so my lodge brothers took it and now they can't find it !" . She would be like my Mom , she would be over to their house demanding my ring she spent a butt load of money to buy me as a gift for my Raising .

But what I have been reading is disturbing and I am curious how much of it is true .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Oh , and I forgot . If we do give a grip in public , which I have never done in all my years as a Mason , we call it "covering our work" when we place our free hands over it .

Ashlar..... I believe you have read my opining on another site regarding this topic.... I think it would be a fun "game" to play in Lodge...but I too am like you, if I came home without my ring...I would have some serious explaining to do...and then I would be embarassed when she went to their house and made them give it back...LOL

As for someone "trying" me in public....not the right place so ...no answers from me...sorry...meet me at my Lodge and we can go from there...that is how I would protect my "light".....grips...well....I still get confused if they are giving a grip or just shaking hands...sometimes.....mostly I look out for those guys that crush your fingers and dont know it....my ring is kinda sharp on the side........ if someone tried to take my ring from me in public....there just might be an unpleasant situation arise...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Fireman , that was what got me to thinking about it again , but I have been pondering on this for some time but have never found an answer too my satisfaction . I keep reading or hearing conflicting answers .

I am only curious concerning the subject , but I will chalk it up to "none of my business" I guess .

Without intentionally offending ANYONE....I believe it happens more often in the PHA than MS Masonry.....with that said, I will also say I believe that Clandie groups have stolen the idea from the PHA Brothers and are making it into a bunch of nonsense

WFo752594

International Masons pick that up too. A Masons ring is a purchase and no one has the right to remove it but himself. There is nothing ritualistic about that at all!

wquincys

Protecting Your Light... ..... .......

I have read on the interent from Brothers who are members of PHA lodges about having to protect your light . Firstly it took some reading to figure out that the "Light" they were refering too was nothing more than Masonic rings and other trinkets with Masonic insignias on them . So I just have to ask these questions , why must you protect your "Light" ? Whom are you protecting your 'Light" from ? What happens if you can not protect your "Light" , aka: your property ? And lastly , is this done in public ?

Only curious .
OK, as a PHA Brother I can personally address this. To be clear "Light" is a reference to any piece of Masonic regalia or emblems that one may have on and "protecting" is a challenge, on a Masonic Level and that any Mason should be able to answer.
I believe that one must Protect their Light because there are certain things that every Mason should know and that the profane should not know. And prior to meeting/greeting a person wearing Masonic regalia that you do not know (ie a random person walking in the mall) you should be able to ask him a question or two that only a Mason would know the answer before giving a grip.
And to address the later part of your query yes the challenge/protection would be done in public but it is ALWAYS discreet. We must all remember our new name given to us when we were first made Masons. And under no circumstances no one takes anyone else's belongings as that is ILLEGAL! if you need more explanation please let me know

Just my 15cents

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
OK, as a PHA Brother I can personally address this. To be clear "Light" is a reference to any piece of Masonic regalia or emblems that one may have on and "protecting" is a challenge, on a Masonic Level and that any Mason should be able to answer.
I believe that one must Protect their Light because there are certain things that every Mason should know and that the profane should not know. And prior to meeting/greeting a person wearing Masonic regalia that you do not know (ie a random person walking in the mall) you should be able to ask him a question or two that only a Mason would know the answer before giving a grip.
And to address the later part of your query yes the challenge/protection would be done in public but it is ALWAYS discreet. We must all remember our new name given to us when we were first made Masons. And under no circumstances no one takes anyone else's belongings as that is ILLEGAL! if you need more explanation please let me know

Just my 15cents
Ah , okay . Thanks for the the input .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member

Just my 15cents
You know that is a good idea. Anyone can buy and wear Masonic emblems without being a Mason themselves.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I once ran into a young man who was wearing a Masonic ring . I am not one to beat around the bush or play games , I just ask a man outright "What Lodge are you from?" , so this is what I asked him . He gave me the most pitiful look and stated that it was his father's who had recently died . My wife made a slight noise like I was going to climb up his rear end , I just patted him on the shoulder , told him how sorry I was and that maybe one day he could do his father proud and become a Mason and walked off .

This is why I do not pay attention to other's rings , pins , hats or shirts . Do I like non-Masons wearing Masonic insignias , Or that a brother does not know enough to wear it . No I do not , but I am not about to drive myself crazy or worry that someone is wearing a Masonic insignia who does not deserve it . I can't go around testing everyone I see in public because they are wearing Masonic regalia , I consider it none of my business except when they are trying to gain entrance into my lodge , then will I worry about it .

If I do happen to notice another ring or what not , I will give a nod of my head and I am on my way . But I also know it is up to everyone's own choice how they deal with it or if they want to test someone . They just need to be aware that not all of us will play these games . I will walk off if I decline answering questions but the brother continues to persist in questioning me . I have nothing to prove outside of a Tyled lodge .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My wife loves one of my favorite quotes to her about this .

We were driving around while on vacation and she kept pointing out Masonic car tags and decals . She says "wow , there is a lot of Masons !" and I told her "Most every town is crawling with them" . A man would break is neck searching out insignias .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
. But I also know it is up to everyone's own choice how they deal with it or if they want to test someone .
I would just hate to discuss Lodge information with someone who knew nothing about. You see, I have problem. I know how to shut up, I just do not know when. I guess I'm just paranoid of those trying to find out information without being a member. Chances are I will never run into someone like that, but I'm sure there are some out there who try.