Question Regarding Lodge Membership Out-of-State

Lancelot

The Blurry Man
Hello Brethren,

I come with a question regarding lodge dual membership in out-of-state lodges. I am a member and MM in Alabama, but would like to also be affiliated with a lodge in New York, due to past family there and other reasons. Does anyone know about this? New York's Grand Lodge says for Grand Secretary to contact them for out of state questions, but I'm curious if this is necessary. I contacted Diamond Thistle Lodge in Tarrytown, NY (lodge of interest), and didn't receive much info in way of this.

I'd be in the area on business on occasion and able to be active there and at home.

Any suggestions?

Darth Tater

Hello Brethren,

I come with a question regarding lodge dual membership in out-of-state lodges. I am a member and MM in Alabama, but would like to also be affiliated with a lodge in New York, due to past family there and other reasons. Does anyone know about this? New York's Grand Lodge says for Grand Secretary to contact them for out of state questions, but I'm curious if this is necessary. I contacted Diamond Thistle Lodge in Tarrytown, NY (lodge of interest), and didn't receive much info in way of this.

I'd be in the area on business on occasion and able to be active there and at home.

Any suggestions?
A couple weeks ago a guy telephoned the secretary of our individual lodge and told him he was going to attend the next stated communication (proper etiquette). Attended with his dues card, swore the good standing MM oath (repeat after me-type). Then in the meeting we voted on it (a couple brothers who had just met him vouched for him and that was that. I asked him about it afterward because I'm considering this when I move back to Michigan in two weeks. Very simple. But that was in Idaho. New York MAY be slightly different? But both states accept dual and plural memberships without restrictions. I don't see any reason the grand lodge need be involved. The lodge you called should have reached out to you and if they didn't know then checked. If you didn't talk to the secretary leave a message for him to return your call. Those guys know everything. :)

I joined this forum several months ago and have only seen around 5 new posts. Which is sad because from reading posts I felt it was the best one around. I don't check much now. I'm new to freemasonry but verified the procedure with another MM after the new member joined.

Lancelot

The Blurry Man
A couple weeks ago a guy telephoned the secretary of our individual lodge and told him he was going to attend the next stated communication (proper etiquette). Attended with his dues card, swore the good standing MM oath (repeat after me-type). Then in the meeting we voted on it (a couple brothers who had just met him vouched for him and that was that. I asked him about it afterward because I'm considering this when I move back to Michigan in two weeks. Very simple. But that was in Idaho. New York MAY be slightly different? But both states accept dual and plural memberships without restrictions. I don't see any reason the grand lodge need be involved. The lodge you called should have reached out to you and if they didn't know then checked. If you didn't talk to the secretary leave a message for him to return your call. Those guys know everything. :)

I joined this forum several months ago and have only seen around 5 new posts. Which is sad because from reading posts I felt it was the best one around. I don't check much now. I'm new to freemasonry but verified the procedure with another MM after the new member joined.
Thank you for the information, brother! It does seem to have become desolate - very unfortunate indeed.