Quick question regarding freemasonry and tattoos..

MattyAirways

I petitioned at my local lodge here in Denver, Co in July. I was voted in two weeks ago and will be going through my initiation sometime in Jan (The date has not been set since our lodge will be going through the voting/installation process for the new year, this month).

I was reading a different thread titled "Jewelry" and was curious about this quote (it's related to my original question).. "The "privilege" to wear and display the masonic symbols is granted when you achieve Master Mason."

Now I am quite heavily tattooed and have two "Masonic-esque" styles of tattoos both I got when I was young and had no idea about the masonic meaning/symbolism until recently (I have a double headed eagle on my chest and an all seeing eye in a pyramid sitting on a bible/book on my stomach).

Would these tattoos in anyway prevent me from continuing on with my journey in freemasonry before I get initiated if say a fellow lodge member saw them? I've been thinking about this a lot lately and would hate for it to do so, so I figured I'd ask what the members of this forum thoughts/advice on the matter....

Thank you.

-M.Madrid

G

Gary

It's a free country. you can do to your body what you want. if you are worried about offending the Lodge, Tell them exactly what you just told us.

Given your explanation, I for one wouldn't have a problem with it.

Winter

I've been here before
We are not the only ones to use the double headed eagle nor are we the only ones to use the eye inside the pyramid. I don't see a problem either.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
It should not affect your entrance, nor any type of feeling from the brethren. My guess is that you will find quite a few members that would be interested in them. Good luck on your journey and keep us informed of your progress.

PS. Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

edit* added the PS after seeing 1st post.

berthemp

I agree that there shouldn't be any problem. Agin tell the brothers what you told us. You should do fine. And your tats will have new meaning later on.

robmei2

No problem

There should be no problem with this.
A few years ago we initiated a candidate with Masonic tattoos as well, no one gave it a second thought.

Good luck with your Masonic journey.

R. D. Meier PW - Lansdowne Lodge #711
32nd Degree - Vally of Philadelphia

G

Gary

Basically, it's a tattoo of your choice that is done with ultraviolet ink. It is only visible under a black light or something of the sort.

It's becoming more popular, as lots of people prefer to not be judged for their artistic expression in the work place, etc. It's also a new trend that is catching on because of the novelty. The colors show up brilliantly under the right lighting.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Basically, it's a tattoo of your choice that is done with ultraviolet ink. It is only visible under a black light or something of the sort.

It's becoming more popular, as lots of people prefer to not be judged for their artistic expression in the work place, etc. It's also a new trend that is catching on because of the novelty. The colors show up brilliantly under the right lighting.
Are UV tattoos typically available, or will I have difficulty finding them?

S&F

G

Gary

S&F
They are becoming more popular. The more reputable establishments are starting to do them. By reputable, I mean those who are current with the trade trends.

Call around to the shops in your area. You may be surprised to find that they do them!

DavisB

S&F
You might have to ask around but finding someone who will do them shouldn't be too hard. Some people say that the Ink isn't safe and that people have had some bad reactions to it, but I think that is the very small minority of people. I can't see something that keeps making people really sick growing in popularity like that.

Winter

I've been here before
I can't see something that keeps making people really sick growing in popularity like that.
You mean like crack, meth, heroine, or cigarettes? LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to step out for a smoke! ;)

DavisB

You mean like crack, meth, heroine, or cigarettes? LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to step out for a smoke! ;)
Yea, I wrote that and thought, "Nah, they will all be mature and know what I meant....";) My mistake:p