Reading and it's effect of Freemasonry

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
The wife won't let me have the computer so I'm reading on my phone. So fast so good.thank you for the link. oh btw katie ordered Building Hiram for me today.

As one who has been trained over the years to learn by doing it hands on, I admit (sadly) that I do consider reading a chore. All to often, do I find myself merely looking at the words when I read and not really understanding what I have "read"...... I can listen to a lecture and get more out of it than reading......I guess I have taken the first step in getting better at reading..... when I read, I only read little bits at a time and make sure I am getting the message before I proceed further........

G

Gary

The wife won't let me have the computer so I'm reading on my phone. So fast so good.thank you for the link. oh btw katie ordered Building Hiram for me today.
You will enjoy Building Hiram. It's not your typical kind of book, It's definitely nothing like you've seen before.

As one who has been trained over the years to learn by doing it hands on, I admit (sadly) that I do consider reading a chore. All to often, do I find myself merely looking at the words when I read and not really understanding what I have "read"...... I can listen to a lecture and get more out of it than reading......I guess I have taken the first step in getting better at reading..... when I read, I only read little bits at a time and make sure I am getting the message before I proceed further........
I read in short bursts depending on the topic. Freemasonry is one of those that I like to take my time with and make sure I understand what it is I'm reading. The more I read, the easier it gets.

You will enjoy Building Hiram. It's not your typical kind of book, It's definitely nothing like you've seen before.

I read in short bursts depending on the topic. Freemasonry is one of those that I like to take my time with and make sure I understand what it is I'm reading. The more I read, the easier it gets.
FM is what I do most of my reading on..... for pleasure....but I take it in small doses....that way I can take it in.....

G

Gary

Yup. If you skim over it or read too fast, you risk missing something important.

Winter

I've been here before
Brother Mackey nailed it on the head. In the 130+ years since he wrote that the situation has only continued and his predictions have absolutely come true.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
All too true .

The one point he made that I have been screaming for years is that more worry about titles and degrees than they do education .

I personally would like to see someone do a more modern revision of some of the older works....kinda like Ill.Bro. Art DeHoyos did of M&D...... alot of the older works ( I know some will not like this) is VERY boring.....too drawn out.... as someone that is not an avid reader, some of the old works are so drawn out that they become just words.... GET TO THE POINT...... its not a contest to see who can write the most pages...

Winter

I've been here before
Why reinvent the wheel? The knowledge in those books is still there and just as valid today as when they were written. The problem is just that we live in a society today that demands everything instantaneously with little or no effort on our part. Including knowledge. Some of the reasons those books read like stereo instructions is because they were written by men who were well educated and these works were intended for the same. The ability to read books written at this level is a practice that must be cultivated over time. It may not be easy, but it is worth it.

Why reinvent the wheel? The knowledge in those books is still there and just as valid today as when they were written. The problem is just that we live in a society today that demands everything instantaneously with little or no effort on our part. Including knowledge. Some of the reasons those books read like stereo instructions is because they were written by men who were well educated and these works were intended for the same. The ability to read books written at this level is a practice that must be cultivated over time. It may not be easy, but it is worth it.
I agree to an extent..... but if you dont modernize a bit, you wont get people to read. I dont believe it has anything to do with education.... it has more to do with the style of writing. The exact message can be conveyed in a way that fits into modern times without loosing the message..... Ill Bro. De Hoyos felt M&D needed a modern interpretation to go along with the original version.

Its not re-invention I am talking about....its just a matter of delivering the message in a better way....