Riding the goat

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have heard this joke used many , many times , aimed at new candidates before their EA degree and Fellowcrafts waiting to be Raised . I was wondering what others thoughts are on this .

Chris From California

Proud Master Mason
I would have to agree. The brothers joked with me when I was first initiated, and to be honest it helped ease the situation. (Having no idea what to expect) But all in all I think the lecture that you give them before they go is much greater. New candidates expect so much from Freemasonry, especially with everything they see on TV and read in books. We need to try and uphold those expectations.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Very true . Joking around with them on other matters is great , to make them feel welcome and at ease . But jokes concerning anything that concerns the degrees should be left out . I was told I was going to fall through trap doors , have to ride a goat and a couple others jokes and I think it detracted from my experience . I was thinking that these guys doesn't take this very serious . Again ,maybe it's just me .

RoughAshlar

Your exactly right Ashlar, the jokes about the goat may be funny but distract from the importance of the initiation itself.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I know the jokes helped calm me down some when I went through. It also helped break the ice between the other candidates going through.

I'll joke around with the candidates if they seem the type who will be relaxed from it. However, before I leave them so they can prepare I do have a serious talk with them letting them know they are on an important journey and they should pay close attention to what goes on, as they will be tested on it.