Sevierville Shriner serves on hospital board of governors

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Chris Porter, a Sevierville resident, serves as a member of Shriners Hospitals for Children – Cincinnati board of governors. Porter is also serving a year as Potentate of Kerbela Shriners, the highest ranking official in the Knoxville-area. “I wanted to be involved with the hospital because I knew it would be a way of helping more children. As a Shriner it is very important to me that Shriners never stop taking care of children.”
As a retired school teacher, Porter is eager to let the community know how the hospital can help children who might otherwise ‘slip through the cracks.' “I take my role as a board member very seriously,” said Porter. “Each month I travel to Cincinnati for the board meeting and know that I will get to see miracles happen – we save children’s lives and make them better. This is the most rewarding thing I can do as a Shriner.”
Porter knows that kids are safer from burn injuries than ever before. “It is wonderful that burn injuries are decreasing in this country. Shriners have made great strides to teach burn prevention, so as a hospital we realized that we could do much more than just care for children with burn injuries,” said Porter. “We have some of the most experienced pediatric plastic surgeons in the area available to help children. I believe we can help many families who might have been told that they don’t have an option for care.”

more YourNews: Sevierville Shriner serves on hospital board of governors » Knoxville News Sentinel (User story from lhoelker#418495)