Something to think about....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
If myth's are real.... Could the Sphinx been alive at one point and turned to stone by looking at Medusa? Hmmmm
That's just it. Myth isn't real. That's why they call it myth. But then, that opens up a whole can of worms for some people. Just ask Joseph Campbell.

CoachN

Builder Builder
But who can say what is real and what isn't?
You can. There are many real life examples that you can try to test your reality.

Try this one out when you can: Run full speed at a brick wall believing it is not real.

I believe that you would testify soon thereafter that your belief has some seriously bad consequences. :1-wink:

CoachN

Builder Builder
That's just it. Myth isn't real. That's why they call it myth. But then, that opens up a whole can of worms for some people. Just ask Joseph Campbell.
But myth is not unreal either my Brother. And that is why the word "myth" is misunderstood by the majority. I learned that from Joseph Campbell.

Myth is a metaphor used to describe a view of reality. It is a lie to those who don't understand the truth of it. It is a truth to those who do.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
You can. There are many real life examples that you can try to test your reality.

Try this one out when you can: Run full speed at a brick wall believing it is not real.

I believe that you would testify soon thereafter that your belief has some seriously bad consequences. :1-wink:
Platform 9-3/4? .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
But myth is not unreal either my Brother. And that is why the word "myth" is misunderstood by the majority. I learned that from Joseph Campbell.

Myth is a metaphor used to describe a view of reality. It is a lie to those who don't understand the truth of it. It is a truth to those who do.
Hmmm.... Pre coffee here (actually cup number two, but just sayin') , It's mis understood yes... I was avoiding the metaphor for the sake of clarity. Tangible reality was my point. Did medusa exist? Not very likely in the context in which he was referring. I do agree with your statement. I may have not been clear in my answer to his question. Knowing how he was referring to myth, I was trying to keep it in a literal sense. I didn't think you'd let me get away with that...LOL

CoachN

Builder Builder
Hmmm.... Pre coffee here (actually cup number two, but just sayin') , It's mis understood yes... I was avoiding the metaphor for the sake of clarity. Tangible reality was my point. Did medusa exist? Not very likely in the context in which he was referring. I do agree with your statement. I may have not been clear in my answer to his question. Knowing how he was referring to myth, I was trying to keep it in a literal sense. I didn't think you'd let me get away with that...LOL
Taking myth literal will get you in trouble with those that take myth figuratively. It's ironic that myths are even propagated literally. :1-wink:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Taking myth literal will get you in trouble with those that take myth figuratively. It's ironic that myths are even propagated literally. :1-wink:
I know this, but considering how the question was posed, and the age of the OP, I thought it best to K.I.S.S. :1-sigh:

The last time I brought up myth and Campbell, I opened up a can of worms...LOL

Whitethunda

Yeah I just like to find explanations for thing in my free time and that was one of the things I thought about.... But as stated above myth is misunderstood but I doubt Medusa was real, but the Sphinx could have been real, It all depends on your point of reference... And walls are real ;)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Not sure how to answer this one. I think there are tidbits of truth in some myths. The key is finding the original one though. The Noah and Flood goes far beyond the Christan Bible. Troy has many many myths and the city was long considered a myth, but around 2005 or so archeologist have said to have discovered the city.

Some of it may have been on been biased off of "bad science." If you had no knowledge of dinosaurs and shown you the fossils of one, what would you think of it? Would you think of something that lived a million years before, or would you think of a monster?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Not sure how to answer this one. I think there are tidbits of truth in some myths. The key is finding the original one though. The Noah and Flood goes far beyond the Christan Bible. Troy has many many myths and the city was long considered a myth, but around 2005 or so archeologist have said to have discovered the city.

Some of it may have been on been biased off of "bad science." If you had no knowledge of dinosaurs and shown you the fossils of one, what would you think of it? Would you think of something that lived a million years before, or would you think of a monster?
The flood of Gilamesh is a great tale and there is evidience that a great flood n the fossil records.

Dinosaurs? Terra Nova has smthings to say about them.