St. Patty's Day

So, it started to look like our annual Shrine Club's St. Patty's day feast of Corned Beef, Cabbage, and beer was losing interest and in danger of disappearing. As a rare Irishman in the land of Scandihoovians and Germans, I couldn't let this happen. So, yes, I volunteered to host and cook for this event in March at our lodge. Now, I'm a fairly capable cook, but, although proud Irish in heritage, haven't done much with corned beef and cabbage other than throwing it in a pot and letting it boil until it's falling apart. Would like to Jazz this up a bit, but keep an Irish theme. Any suggestions????
Mike

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Saint Patrick's Day

So, it started to look like our annual Shrine Club's St. Patty's day feast of Corned Beef, Cabbage, and beer was losing interest and in danger of disappearing. As a rare Irishman in the land of Scandihoovians and Germans, I couldn't let this happen. So, yes, I volunteered to host and cook for this event in March at our lodge. Now, I'm a fairly capable cook, but, although proud Irish in heritage, haven't done much with corned beef and cabbage other than throwing it in a pot and letting it boil until it's falling apart. Would like to Jazz this up a bit, but keep an Irish theme. Any suggestions????
Mike
How could ya' consider a celebration important to the Irish without considerin' what you would use to moisten the throat? You wouldn't want tah have any one choke on the beef!
How about a nice smooth Cork Stout like Beamish, or maybe Murphy's if you can't find Beamish?
You might have to settle for the Liffy River's Guinness, though.

Top of the marnin' to ya!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Some the corn beef. This is what I do now, and will not go back to boiling it. I even take a spicy mustard, put a thick layer of it on the top of the corn beef before smoking. It is making me drool just thinking about it, as I absolutely love corn beef.

What about adding some Shepherds Pie? Maybe some Haggas, although that is more Scottish.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Oh and for Desert. Take two-three scoops of ice cream and put into a pint glass. Pour Guinness over it, enjoy.

Excellent beer choices. I didn't bring it up because I figured I could handle that. Might even be able to subdue the old Norwegians with some Harp's. Never thought about smoking the corned beef. Will consider, but will probably have to try before hand. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Some the corn beef. This is what I do now, and will not go back to boiling it. I even take a spicy mustard, put a thick layer of it on the top of the corn beef before smoking. It is making me drool just thinking about it, as I absolutely love corn beef.

What about adding some Shepherds Pie? Maybe some Haggas, although that is more Scottish.

I have recipes for both.

I have recipes for both.
The shepherds pie might be a go. But haggas??? That would be a tough sell to a group of old Germans and Norwegians. I worry about the open mindedness within our Shrine Club. While our Blue Lodge is younger and vibrant, and more open minded, our Shrine Club is a little stodgy and set in their ways. No, definately not haggas....

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The shepherds pie might be a go. But haggas??? That would be a tough sell to a group of old Germans and Norwegians. I worry about the open mindedness within our Shrine Club. While our Blue Lodge is younger and vibrant, and more open minded, our Shrine Club is a little stodgy and set in their ways. No, definately not haggas....
Ask how many of them like liver pate, then decide. True haggis is all organ meat, oats, and spices. Most modern haggis is mostly lamb with some organ meat added for flavor.

G

Gary

Haggis is very good. Most Scottish food is based on a dare you know. As in, "I dare ya t' eat it!"...

I've never had smoked Corned Beef. That actually sounds really good. Jason, I'd like to learn how to make that. I've never used a smoker.

Zack

Bro. Gary,
there's a BBQ place on us19 btwn Homosassa & CR called Champs They have smoked corned beef. Like most smoked meats, it depends on your taste/tolerence for smokiness.

G

Gary

Bro. Zack,

Sounds like we should get together for lunch sometime! :D

OK. Day off on Sunday. The temp's supposed to climb up to 7 above, and there's only a 30% chance of snow! Football all afternoon and evening. Looks like this is the perfect time to put on the ol' BBQ shorts and try to smoke a corned beef. Jason, I only have mesquite left around the house and it's tough to find good smoking wood in MN in the winter. Is mesquite going to be to strong and overpower the curing of the corned beef?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
OK. Day off on Sunday. The temp's supposed to climb up to 7 above, and there's only a 30% chance of snow! Football all afternoon and evening. Looks like this is the perfect time to put on the ol' BBQ shorts and try to smoke a corned beef. Jason, I only have mesquite left around the house and it's tough to find good smoking wood in MN in the winter. Is mesquite going to be to strong and overpower the curing of the corned beef?
Never tried mesquite. I really like old whiskey oak barrels that are chipped up.