Swift Degrees

FF Sparky

After being initiated, passed and raised, I have come to wonder why such the rush? All degrees being done 1 a month for 3 months. Seems there should be a little more time in between to soak it in, research, learn something other than the proficiency of the lecture. What about the steps to middle chamber. There could be alot of learning to be done there before moving to the next degree. I understand that make people MM's so they dont lose interest, and gets them into a MM level communication. I also understand that Freemasonry is a lifetime learning experience. Seems mason around here want to be MM's so they can move on to Shriners and SR and Yr and others, but your a Mason first. How special, and fraternal is being rushed thru all the degrees?? Opinions??

Winter

I've been here before
Many jurisdictions here in America feel the need to rush a new Brother through the degrees so that they can actually participate. Since business is conducted on the MM degree they rush a Brother through so he can sit in Lodge and much is lost.

In many jurisdictions outside of the US, and very few inside the US, as in TO or Emulation Lodges like mine, all business is conducted on the EA degree. There is no rush for a Brother to proceed since he is a full voting member of the Lodge as an EA. We can and often do take a year between degrees to allow a Brother to fully delve into the mysteries of each degree.

The US used to operate this way until the Morgan Affair. In the restructuring afterwords one of the changes was to conduct the business on the MM instead of EA degree.

HAUS469

It took me almost 1 year.I have a difficult schedule to meet with work though.Most people I know with a "normal" schedule took about 5-6 months.But I see some lodges across the state line near me that fly thru in 2-3 months or less.I guess I can understand the part of loosing interest,because I did for a brief period.But my mentor got me back on track and my motivation grew to stick with it and succeed.And am glad I did.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I was raised in three months, too. There are a lot of men in my lodge and the whole range of types of Masons are represented. We have men who took the degrees and only show up for events that involve beer. We have guys who are snowbirds that sit on the sidelines in the Spring, Summer and Fall but have no interest or ability to be an officer. We have men who show up for every meeting, sit on the sidelines and know enough to visit another lodge in the district but couldn't handle a detailed examination. We have the guys who step in line and memorize Ritual and some of them actually learn it. And finally, we have a group of men who are the walking embodiment of all there is to be in Masonry.

I hope I fall into the category of officers who memorize and learn for now. Maybe some day a young Mason might look at me with the kind of respect I have for the men I admire most in my Lodge. The best part of these guys is they are my friends and brothers.

jonesvilletexas

MWSA Secretary
A brother can get his next degree in as little as 14 days.

You only get what you put in!

In Texas we now can open in an EA or FC Lodge that way our new brothers can attend the meeting (but cannot vote) The Master must decide if and what lodge to open in.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
After being initiated, passed and raised, I have come to wonder why such the rush? All degrees being done 1 a month for 3 months. Seems there should be a little more time in between to soak it in, research, learn something other than the proficiency of the lecture. What about the steps to middle chamber. There could be alot of learning to be done there before moving to the next degree. I understand that make people MM's so they dont lose interest, and gets them into a MM level communication. I also understand that Freemasonry is a lifetime learning experience. Seems mason around here want to be MM's so they can move on to Shriners and SR and Yr and others, but your a Mason first. How special, and fraternal is being rushed thru all the degrees?? Opinions??
I too, was Initiated, Passed, and Raised in about 40 days. It was YEARS until the lessons began to interest me, many more to start to sink in! Of course, there was a lot of life in the way, family, school, work; so it was several years until I was coming to Lodge regularly.
Attend Lodge whenever life lets you; degree work at neighboring lodges would be even better.

I've attended Lodge in jurisdictions (UK, Ireland) where the Lodge was opened on the EA degree, the 'younger' Masons attended, and were much less pushed to progress. I am a fan.

S&F

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
In Pennsylvania, the typical progression is 1 degree per month, for 3 consecutive months, however, there is nothing that actually makes you get the degree's in that time. Once you've been initiated, you can take as long as you would like to receive the next degree, and as much time between the 2nd and 3rd. All of our typical meetings are done in the MM degree, so to enjoy all of the benefits of membership, you must be a MM.

it took me just over 4 months to go through the EA, FC, and MM degrees. there were (and still is) quite a few guys going through the degrees at my lodge that there was degree work going on for almost every week throughout the year.

thebrianmo

In Ohio they ask that you give your proficiency in each degree no longer than 90 days after receiving that degree. However if you need more time, they give it to you. I essentially did a degree every other month when I went through. From time to time Ohio also offers the one day class where you do all three degrees in one day.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
In Ohio they ask that you give your proficiency in each degree no longer than 90 days after receiving that degree. However if you need more time, they give it to you. I essentially did a degree every other month when I went through. From time to time Ohio also offers the one day class where you do all three degrees in one day.
The EA and FC have no time limit on return it's the MM exam that does.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
And how do you feel about these one day classes?
Tho I saw this done in another state 2 years ago, I was not comfortable with it except for the fact that the only candidate receiving all 3 degrees was about to deploy with his military unit.
I am right now comfortable with maybe a case of terminal illness, but even with military orders pending, maybe there could have been better foresight.

S&F