The Civil War: Tale of 'two brothers,' Freemasons at Gettysburg Read more: The Civil War: Tale of '

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
VIENNA, Va., August 29, 2012 — The Civil War has often been referred to as being “brother against brother,” and in truth there are many stories of biological brothers serving against each other, one for the United States and one for the Confederate States.
The story of the large, unique statue at Gettysburg National Cemetery, Gettysburg, Pa. reflects the love and devotion of two brothers who shared neither father nor mother and by any normal description were not brothers. In a very real sense, however, they were, and the statue stands today to commemorate their love.
Confederate Brig. Gen. Lewis Addison Armistead was born in New Bern, N.C. and was a member of Alexandria-Washington Masonic Lodge # 22. Maj. Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock, a Union officer, was born in Norristown, Pa. and was a member of Charity Lodge # 190 of that town. The two shared a friendship that had gone back for many years until politics of the time caused them to go separate ways.
Friends Choose Different Paths

Read more: The Civil War: Tale of 'two brothers,' Freemasons at Gettysburg | Washington Times Communities

Winter

I've been here before
That story led to the to formation of the Armistead Bingham Lodge 1862 in Wisconsin. As a Research lodge they needed an establish Lodge to sponsor them when they formed and act as their home Lodge. I am proud to say that it was my Lodge, Milton #161 that filled this role and I was the WM of Milton at that time. I still have my full Civil War kit as a Sargent Major of the 20th Maine Volunteers that I got to join AB 1862.

http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/