Topics of conversation

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Brethren ,

A year or two ago we used to have topics that would go on for page after page . They would sometimes get heated and that was great , That is what made them interesting !

Some Masons are of the mind that we can not get into heated conversations because we are supposed to be happy-go-lucky , smiling , hand-holding , back-patting butt kissing brothers who all should agree with one another so peace and harmony will prevail . This is not entirely true . ONE , this is not a lodge and TWO not all Masons are going to agree .

As long as you do not attack the poster or bash him , his lodge or GL and you attack the content of the post/thread , then all is well . Debates and disagreements are a good thing , this is how information is exchanged . Even some things that go on in other jurisdictions , if you disagree in a respectful manner , then have it and allow the members to counter your views (such as billboards , open houses , radio/TV commercials , alcohol etc; etc: ) .

If you see something posted you do not agree with , jump in a post and an opposing view . We are all big boys and can take it , do not be afraid you are going to hurt someone's feelings . OR , if if it of such a nature that one does not like the subject , ignore it . If one can not take it , then maybe Masonic forums is not for you .

I disagree with many things and I am not above having my say . For example , this tradition of protecting one's "light" and trying others in public , I find it childish , immature behavior and I am not afraid to post my thoughts on it . If someone does not like it , counter my view or get to stepping .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As a matter of fact , I am to the point that I would love to see some anti-mason come in here so we can rip him apart (Winter is always good for that) . That is always fun !!!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I disagree. Ok, I'm tired and that is the best argument I have at the moment, not that I really disagree.

As a matter of fact , I am to the point that I would love to see some anti-mason come in here so we can rip him apart (Winter is always good for that) . That is always fun !!!
I may be able to make that happen if that is what you really want.

edwmax

Brethren ,

A year or two ago we used to have topics that would go on for page after page . They would sometimes get heated and that was great , That is what made them interesting !

Some Masons are of the mind that we can not get into heated conversations because we are supposed to be happy-go-lucky , smiling , hand-holding , back-patting butt kissing brothers who all should agree with one another so peace and harmony will prevail . This is not entirely true . ONE , this is not a lodge and TWO not all Masons are going to agree .

I disagree with many things and I am not above having my say . For example , this tradition of protecting one's "light" and trying others in public , I find it childish , immature behavior and I am not afraid to post my thoughts on it . If someone does not like it , counter my view or get to stepping .

I agree with you. But Brothers of Canada, UK, and Australia do not understand the GLs in the US are of varied Constitutions. Our rituals, lectures, and practices differ from each other and from theirs. These differences set us up for 'heated' discussions when a Mason is under the impression ALL Lodges, ritual, and lectures are the same. Many of the GL recognition problems in the US do not exist in the UK and they seem to have very little problem with Clandies.

You mentioned 'protecting one's light', this very topic came up on MasterMason.com Thursday-Friday by a 'very new' PHA Mason. He was asking how to greet other Masons on the street, gripping-up, and Masons on the street. And, They being OFF when he greeted them. He was unhappy strangers would not meet his challenges. I asked him if he was referring to the PHA catch-e-kism & protecting light. Another poster stated those were PHA practices and not done by MS Masons. ... Two other new PHA Masons took offense, accuse us of being Racist, then claimed catch-e-kism & protecting & taking Light WAS NOT done in the PHA.

Now a UK Member posting for about a month reads the exchange, then declares the forum is 'UN-brotherly' and states he was leaving and will not return. ...WOW ... as an Admin, I could not help what happened or how other members perceive discussion exchanges. In that thread nothing happen that needed Moderation. Only three new PHA Mason that thought all Freemasonry and ritual was the same as theirs; then took offense.. And, a UK-Mason that didn't understand the situation and comments.

My point ...???... I think it would be good for a sticky for Masons of the Emulation Constitutions to explain that difference exist among US GLs and much more varied. These difference tend to lead to more heated discussions than they are use to.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I popped in there the other day and seen where a member was leaving , but did not understand why so I appreciate the reply .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Sorta relevant: I just checked the top posters & it is the same list as last month. So FMH has succeeded in becoming just like a brick-n-mortar Lodge. The same 6-10 guys are doing all the work.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I popped in there the other day and seen where a member was leaving , but did not understand why so I appreciate the reply .
As an aside- I don't visit there too often. There is this guy named Edmax there that likes to pummel me when I post ( I tend to speak my my mind, and can be a wise a$$). That's not enough to make me leave the forum for good though. I sorta like the guy. :p

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Sorta relevant: I just checked the top posters & it is the same list as last month. So FMH has succeeded in becoming just like a brick-n-mortar Lodge. The same 6-10 guys are doing all the work.
That has a lot to do with the way our forum is structured. When everything is public, you'll inevitably have those who will remain silent. I can name two other forums who use a different structure, and are quite successful. I've said it elsewhere... The solution seems simple, but implementation is certainly not.

edwmax

As an aside- I don't visit there too often. There is this guy named Edmax there that likes to pummel me when I post ( I tend to speak my my mind, and can be a wise a$$). That's not enough to make me leave the forum for good though. I sorta like the guy. :p
I don't mind you speaking your mind ... because I will do it too. I have stood in my Lodge and gave the entire Lodge a piece of my mind ... I was pissssed Offff ... I was also rapped down. Anyway the certain members knew I wasn't please with their actions and they didn't follow thought with their intent. I was also threaten with a Masonic trial that night as a result. I said 'Please do it; then we'll have the Grand Master involved." .... their threats immediately died and their Lodge action was resended.

Anyway, MasterMason.com has been in a healing mode for more than a year now. The problem really stemmed from there being too many Admins and a little group of Admins formed wanting to override, and criticizing other admins for their actions at moderating the forum and be in control of the forum. ... Anyway, the short story is they are gone and I'm still there with the full support of the forum owner. ... I've been tight moderating the forum to keep real heated debates & problems out to help it heal. ... Some of the members here know what I am taking about.

edwmax

That has a lot to do with the way our forum is structured. When everything is public, you'll inevitably have those who will remain silent. I can name two other forums who use a different structure, and are quite successful. I've said it elsewhere... The solution seems simple, but implementation is certainly not.
Yes, correct. There needs to be a tiled section where the 'dirty laundry' can be aired without the public or bots seeing as well as more esoteric discussion.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Yes, correct. There needs to be a tiled section where the 'dirty laundry' can be aired without the public or bots seeing as well as more esoteric discussion.
Ed, This has come up many times. I have been a torch bearer for the cause. While most would agree that we need tiled forums, the problem is with vetting members. You know more than anyone, how sticky that can be. Currently, the forum owner is governed by a jurisdiction that does not recognize certain groups. If he tiles a forum and vets certain members, he runs the risk of issues with his GL. In the current state of this forum, he is pretty safe.

If you've got ideas, I'm sure Ashlar (as the forum manager) would appreciate a PM. He can forward the suggestions to our BMOC (Big Man On Campus!).

edwmax

I fully understand. ... Then make a Tyled forum section for private esoteric discussion among recognized Masons of his GL. ... Plainly state that requirement and make no apologizes for it. Just do not operate the Tyled forum in any fashion similar to a Lodge. ... Next make a Tyled section for everyone else, whether they are a Mason or not (open membership). This will allow private discussion and keep unwanted public, trouble makers, and BOTS out. Membership to this forum can be by a minimum number of post or by recommendation of other forum members (actually I think both here) and the rules to be the same as the public section now.

Oh ... I presume I wouldn't get access to these as I know a few Brothers are still PO'd with me. haha ... can't help that ...

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I fully understand. ... Then make a Tyled forum section for private esoteric discussion among recognized Masons of his GL. ... Plainly state that requirement and make no apologizes for it. Just do not operate the Tyled forum in any fashion similar to a Lodge. ... Next make a Tyled section for everyone else, whether they are a Mason or not (open membership). This will allow private discussion and keep unwanted public, trouble makers, and BOTS out. Membership to this forum can be by a minimum number of post or by recommendation of other forum members (actually I think both here) and the rules to be the same as the public section now.

Oh ... I presume I wouldn't get access to these as I know a few Brothers are still PO'd with me. haha ... can't help that ...
PO'd? HA! We all have differences of opinion that can get heated, but we still need to play nice in the sandbox. I don't see how you would be excluded.

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
A question on the concept of "Catch-E-Kism" -- I recently ordered (and have been reading and kind of enjoying) this pamphlet:
http://www.macoy.com/MASONIC-CATCH-E-KISM-edited-by-MJ-Barrett-P2326.aspx

I find it interesting, but now I wonder -- is this *not* something used by "conventional" Freemasonry?

At any rate, our Grand Lodge is serious about Masonic co-operation, and at the end of next month we are having an "exchange of degree work" with an Indiana PH Lodge. (Info here: http://www.indianafreemasons.com/news/the-unity-degree.html ). I'm looking forward to attending this event.

Winter

I've been here before
I bought that book (pamphlet?) years ago. Interesting. But not high on my list of recommended books.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yup... And me thinks that a majority of members never knew it existed. That's why there are only 8 threads.
There was a thread an sticky about it when it was first created. Only about 5 people at the time requested access.