Tracing Boards

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Practicing Lectures

My uncle (by marriage) thought everything , down to the bills that the lodge pays were secret . Many of the old timers flip out on the things we talk about now , they are of the same mind that anything and everything in lodge and Freemasonry are secret .

I am extremely open when it comes to Freemasonry . I do not even hide my rituals (as the old timers used to do , my uncle kept his under lock and key) , all of them are on the bookshelf , by my chair within easy reach in my living room or I leave them scattered all over the house , my wife is always complaining about my Monitor or YR rituals being on the dining room table or on the kitchen counter (I like the echo in the kitchen when I practice lectures ) .
I usually practice in the mornings. I wake early, and my wife (a nurse) works nights.
My dachshunds are my audience. Heath is pretty laid back and doesn't pay much attention, but Rosie is a real alpha-dog and keeps up with everything going on.
If I get stuck on a word, she growls at me, if I put in a wrong word, she bites me!

:D
(not so) Sincerely and Fraternally,

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I usually practice in the mornings. I wake early, and my wife (a nurse) works nights.
My dachshunds are my audience. Heath is pretty laid back and doesn't pay much attention, but Rosie is a real alpha-dog and keeps up with everything going on.
If I get stuck on a word, she growls at me, if I put in a wrong word, she bites me!

I have Initiated , Passed and Raised all three of my dogs many times over . If they ever learn to talk I will be in trouble .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

I practice my OBs in the car, once in awhile I wonder if there is someone who can read lips...... Otherwise I am just another guy talking to himself in his car (although the repeated smacking myself might explain why they change lanes so often :D)

brothaofdes

I practice on my motorcycle. I find I can speak full volume at moderate speeds and no one can hear or would understand what the heck I am doing anyways.

And yes, I also have entered, passed, and raised both of my dogs several times. They are amazing listeners, so quiet and attentive, except of course when I bring out the mallet...

Zack

We , in my lodge , of course have the two pillars , then I made a checkered pavement ( 1/4" luan plywood and linoleum tiles) and steps (also out of 1/4" luan , painted and stenciled) that I place on the floor that wind around the lodge room . I have corn , wine and oil in sealed bottles .

I dislike the carpets as they are expensive , fade and crack , and are hard to walk on . With the my homemade steps , a candidate can take regular steps .
I have toyed with the idea of constructing something like you mention. If you have or could take pictures I would like very much to see them.

We use a canvas for the lecture but do not walk on it for fear of damage. You are correct, they are expensive.

Bro. Gary, there are sets of slides for the EA and MM degree in your Lodge. I have used the EA many times but stopped because the projector became unreliable. It's from the 40-50's and hard to find parts for. The lodge didn't want to purchase another one.

G

Gary

Bro. Zack, I've got sets of the slides that were converted for a Power Point presentation for each of the degrees.

I was interested in the possibility of a Tracing Board because they are traditional, not to mention just plain cool looking. :D

Winter

I've been here before
It does make a huge difference teaching a candidate from a Tracing Board than a 60 year old slide projector!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have toyed with the idea of constructing something like you mention. If you have or could take pictures I would like very much to see them.

We use a canvas for the lecture but do not walk on it for fear of damage. You are correct, they are expensive.

Bro. Gary, there are sets of slides for the EA and MM degree in your Lodge. I have used the EA many times but stopped because the projector became unreliable. It's from the 40-50's and hard to find parts for. The lodge didn't want to purchase another one.
I will take pictures next time I am at lodge .

Zack

It does make a huge difference teaching a candidate from a Tracing Board than a 60 year old slide projector!

Huge difference? Why? The information is the same and the info is far older than 60 years old.

Our slides have everything that is on a Tracing Board. As a matter of fact they are a Tracing Board put on slides with some additional items.

I've asked EA who have been presented the lecture using slides and they have all told me it was much more informative than using nothing or using a Tracing Board.

Besides that, if the lights are dimmed during the lecture it allow the sideliners to doze unnoticed. I know two lecturers who won't use slides for that reason.

G

Gary

<snip>
Besides that, if the lights are dimmed during the lecture it allow the sideliners to doze unnoticed. I know two lecturers who won't use slides for that reason.
I've got a fix for those who think they can snooze during my lecture. They will only do it once I promise you. :D

G

Gary

I didn't know you were learning the lectures. Very good.
If I can be of any help let me know please.
Whoa...Not those lectures. I was referring to the lectures I give at work!

I'm still working on the ritual and floor work. One step at a time...

Which lectures do you do?

Winter

I've been here before
Our slides have everything that is on a Tracing Board. As a matter of fact they are a Tracing Board put on slides with some additional items.
When using the slide projector the pictures are disjointed, unconnected and the candidate is told that "this means X". I'm not saying that this method is completely innefectual.

But when teaching from an actual Tracing Board or chart where the emblems are woven together as a whole into a complete tapestry the candidate gets a different picture. Even when his attention is called to a particular aspect of the TB, he is able to see that it is only one part of a whole and that they are interconnected.

Our Brothers, for centuries, used a specific method to pass on the mysteries. And they used this method for a reason. Maybe they weren't dummies. :)

Bob Franks

delivering lectures

All of them.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
When using the slide projector the pictures are disjointed, unconnected and the candidate is told that "this means X". I'm not saying that this method is completely innefectual.

But when teaching from an actual Tracing Board or chart where the emblems are woven together as a whole into a complete tapestry the candidate gets a different picture. Even when his attention is called to a particular aspect of the TB, he is able to see that it is only one part of a whole and that they are interconnected.

Our Brothers, for centuries, used a specific method to pass on the mysteries. And they used this method for a reason. Maybe they weren't dummies. :)
OKAY, now I will be SURE to get to Madison for your EC Lodge to watch some degree work!

Zack

OK. I understand.

I do all three lectures, but I prefer to leave the FC to others. Don't know why, but it really is hard for me.

G

Gary

The FC lecture is the most interesting to me. I guess it's because of the 7 L- A's & S's. I'm an astronomy geek. :rolleyes:

Bob Franks

Making a Lecture easier

OK. I understand.

I do all three lectures, but I prefer to leave the FC to others. Don't know why, but it really is hard for me.
Br. Zack,
Though I practice each of the Lectures on a 3 day cycle, if I don't deliver them on the floor of the lodge, they get rusty. The more I actually deliver them, the easier they get.
The old adage, "Practice makes perfect," holds for me!

Maybe delivering the Winding Staircase Lecture a few times will make it easier.

S&F

Maybe delivering the Winding Staircase Lecture a few times will make it easier.

S&F
Bob,
How long did it take you to learn it? I'm thinking of taking this challenge. As far as I know, we only have one guy in the area (our GL District Rep who happens to belong to our lodge) who does it and his schedule is packed! Some day I think we'll find ourselves in a jam.