Want to join the Freemasons but concerns

Hello everyone I have been very interested in joining the Freemasons for a while and want to do it but I keep hearing all of these things that the top members worship the devil. Now I am not one to listen to rumors and lies but I just wanted to ask about this to people who can please explain these accusations? Again believe me I'm not one to listen to liars, people who spread rumors and barracks lawyers but I want to just get this out and discuss it. Thanks everyone!

Winter

I've been here before
Not only do we NOT worship the Devil, but we as Masons do not worship at all as a religion.

We are not a religion, nor are we a substitute for religion. We are proud to accept all men of all faiths that believe that there is one Creator.

I proudly pray next all men of all faiths.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Those rumors typically sprang up in areas where there was a church that did not like freemasons for one reason or another. All of it is baseless. We do not worship the devil, just a goat....

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Now, now, Bro. Liberty, you shouldn't tease about these things, it's how ugly rumors get started.

As Winter said - we are not a religion. Indeed, we are merely a fraternity for religious men, and we don't much care what your religion is. You have to be up front about your beliefs, however: does your faith object to you hanging out with believers of all stripes? Some of the very conservative religions do. We are not in the business of converting people, of making changes in their faiths. Faith is a very, very important thing to us. So, if you can come to Freemasonry with a clear conscience and an open heart and mind, we're all for you joining!

There have been many men of the cloth that are members of the fraternity. The Masons do not practice any one religion but are made up of men of faith, with one basic factor in that we all believe in one God....or creator....I have a few Deacons at my Church that are Brothers....

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Also , there is no "top members" . We have Grand Lodge officers whom we elect , but they work for us . And they abide by the same laws , rules and regulations as we do , other than wearing fancier jewels and aprons they are no different than us .

If you mean , 33rd degree Scottish Rite Masons . They also do not worship the devil and have no governing powers in Craft Masonry , nor are they cosidered "top members" in Craft Masonry . The only governing powers they have are within the Scottish Rite itself and that is where it ends for them .They also have to abide by the same laws , rules and regulations as we 3rd degree Master Masons if they want to continue their membership in Freemasonry .

This is a common misconspetion of those who are not members . They hear 33rd degree and think "wow , those guys are really high up" when that could not be farther from the truth . The Scottish Rite and York Rite are appendant bodies , though most graphs seen show them going higher or "top members" , it would be more apt if the graph went out to the sides . You can gain more knowledge from these groups , but you do not gain a higher rank in Freemasonry or become a "top member" . Nothing is higher than a 3rd degree Master Mason , that is the pinnacle of , the rock solid foundation , the end all be all of Freemasonry . The rest is just extra .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sorry for the ramble , I have slept in and have not had all my coffee yet and have no idea what I am talking about right now .

G

Gary

Also , there is no "top members" . We have Grand Lodge officers whom we elect , but they work for us . And they abide by the same laws , rules and regulations as we do , other than wearing fancier jewels and aprons they are no different than us .

If you mean , 33rd degree Scottish Rite Masons . They also do not worship the devil and have no governing powers in Craft Masonry , nor are they cosidered "top members" in Craft Masonry . The only governing powers they have are within the Scottish Rite itself and that is where it ends for them .They also have to abide by the same laws , rules and regulations as we 3rd degree Master Masons if they want to continue their membership in Freemasonry .

This is a common misconspetion of those who are not members . They hear 33rd degree and think "wow , those guys are really high up" when that could not be farther from the truth . The Scottish Rite and York Rite are concordant bodies , though most graphs seen show them going higher or "top members" , it would be more apt if the graph went out to the sides . You can gain more knowledge from these groups , but you do not gain a higher rank in Freemasonry or become a "top member" . Nothing is higher than a 3rd degree Master Mason , that is the pinnacle of , the rock solid foundation , the end all be all of Freemasonry . The rest is just extra .
Exactly right.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I couldn't agree more with the statements above. In fact, Religion is one of only two topics not appropriate for discussion in Lodge (the other is politics). Discussion of religion or politics serves to divide people where Masons prefer harmony among Brothers.

On a more personal level, I have found the lessons I have learned in Freemasonry to be universal. I am often struck by the similarity between what I hear and see in Ritual and the Sermon my minister delivers. If only she had a Y chromosome, she would make a great Mason :)

The web sites I've checked out that accuse Freemasons of being anything other than a Fraternity of good men working to be better are usually pretty silly when looked at objectively. One wonderfully creative stretch I read was that since the word "Lucifer" translates into "light-bearer" and we Masons seek "light" in Freemasonry it is obvious that we are devil worshipers! I submit that it would be difficult to find any teaching of spirituality that did not refer to "light". Does this make all spiritual people devil worshipers?

Nope, no devils, goats, sheep or any other farm animals are involved in Ritual. In fact, if your Faith would make it uncomfortable for you to use the Bible in Ritual, you will be strongly encouraged to substitute the Book of Scripture you use on the Masonic Altar. All your Brothers will pray right along with you. We refer to the Great Architect of the Universe. He is different to each Mason and each Mason meets on the level.

If you are ready to become a better man than you could on your own and enjoy the company of men who feel the same way, then I would be proud to call you Brother.

cemab4y

These conspiracy and "devil" stories pop up all the time. They are all (expletive deleted). Masonry is a system of morality. It is a Fraternity. It is many more things, all of which are honorable and good. You need to visit this website:

Anti-Masonry: Points of View

If you have any concerns, please post your specific questions here. You should also visit

Ask a Freemason

We will be glad to give you the whole story about Freemasonry.

G

Gary

And the Bravo Sierra that you read about Albert Pike referring to Lucifer...

He's talking about the planet Venus (that used to be called Lucifer). That sentence in his book is one of the number one excuses people use to say Freemasonry is satanic. It is taken completely out of context.

As a Freemason and an Astronomer, I find it laughable.

G

Gary

I don't know what's more rediculous. The fool who told the lie, or the fools who still blindly believe the liar. Sheeple.... :rolleyes:

Br_Eric_Hill

funny story here

Right after Master degree the other night, one of our brothers was talking about a friend at work. She did not know he was a freemason, and bashed us saying that she could never date a mason because we were some kind of cult that thrived on taking members money and such.......Our brother at that point showed her his ring and graciously informed her that she was not even close in her opinion. She came away with a better understanding of masonry I think. It just goes to show the ignorance that people have for things they don't understand.

Azpir8king

A fellow from my Shooting team with our Gun Club heard I was going through the degrees (I was FC at the time). I had missed a shooting night to be at lodge to work with my counselor. The next week, the gentleman goes into a full on rant about the Craft, the people who become masons and that he "Wouldn't be able to work with or hang out with someone from a lodge because they were not trustworthy and not good christians". He had NEVER met a Mason he could respect. He is also part of a Church that is VERY anti mason here in WI.
I turned to him and said "You understand that the company that sponsors our team is OWNED by a Freemason and Shriner, Right? You have shot with him, had him over to dinner, had us attend your daughters wedding and been on this team with him for 5 plus years. He is standing right there...you might want to tell him of your concerns."

The pin made a very loud sound when you heard it drop. He is still with the team, so some of those objections must not be a big concern.

G

Gary

A fellow from my Shooting team with our Gun Club heard I was going through the degrees (I was FC at the time). I had missed a shooting night to be at lodge to work with my counselor. The next week, the gentleman goes into a full on rant about the Craft, the people who become masons and that he "Wouldn't be able to work with or hang out with someone from a lodge because they were not trustworthy and not good christians". He had NEVER met a Mason he could respect. He is also part of a Church that is VERY anti mason here in WI.
I turned to him and said "You understand that the company that sponsors our team is OWNED by a Freemason and Shriner, Right? You have shot with him, had him over to dinner, had us attend your daughters wedding and been on this team with him for 5 plus years. He is standing right there...you might want to tell him of your concerns."

The pin made a very loud sound when you heard it drop. He is still with the team, so some of those objections must not be a big concern.
Classic.... :cool:

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I would suggest that you visit your local lodge during a public event (there are usually several to choose from) in Wisconsin Fish frys are common. Meet the men, talk to them about your concerns, ask questions, ask for a tour of the Lodge.

I study ceremonial systems (religons, organizations, cults, historical groups) as a hobby. I have found nothing in Freemasonry that is sinister, evil, nor demonic.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I would suggest that you visit your local lodge during a public event (there are usually several to choose from) in Wisconsin Fish frys are common. Meet the men, talk to them about your concerns, ask questions, ask for a tour of the Lodge.

I study ceremonial systems (religons, organizations, cults, historical groups) as a hobby. I have found nothing in Freemasonry that is sinister, evil, nor demonic.
p.s. The secret of FM is that it is full of great men, working to be better men, and wanting others to walk along side of in that journey.

Duncan.... at my Lodge we have a secret to our batter for our fish fry...lets not forget that...LOL....hmmmm come to think of it, the oldtimers havent told me either...

TrowelTalk

... the gentleman goes into a full on rant about the Craft, the people who become masons and that he "Wouldn't be able to work with or hang out with someone from a lodge because they were not trustworthy and not good christians". He had NEVER met a Mason he could respect. He is also part of a Church that is VERY anti mason here in WI....
I respect everyone's religious beliefs, but I do personally think that this type of narrow-minded thinking and intolerance is part of the problem in America today; and it is one of the main reasons I became a Mason, to associate with men of good character and leave the political/religious judgements at the door.