Washington D.C.

I am kicking around the idea of a family trip to D.C. I have been there once in my younger days but I saw more of the nightlife than I did of anything historical. I did a quick search of hotels in the DC area and just about passed out when I saw the prices..... Do any of you have any secrets of staying in or around DC that is affordable....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Have not stayed there since I was a kid on school field trips. Have you tried discount sites?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The holiday inn express in Silver Spring. Take the metro to DC. Save the driving, and also save a ton of loot. 10 minute metro ride to DC.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I am kicking around the idea of a family trip to D.C. I have been there once in my younger days but I saw more of the nightlife than I did of anything historical. I did a quick search of hotels in the DC area and just about passed out when I saw the prices..... Do any of you have any secrets of staying in or around DC that is affordable....
The last time I visited DC, we took our travel trailer and stayed at Greenbelt National Forest. The campground charged $16- per night and is 13 miles from the White House. I figure I could stay there for a month for what they charge for a hotel room for a night. You might consider renting an RV and staying at Greenbelt. PM me for details.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
My son went to DC a few years ago and stayed as far out as he could, but near a Metro stop. He never cranked the car motor until he left: no parking fees, no looking for a parking space, no parking tickets, no tows!
I didn't ask him about hotel rates.

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Google a dc metro map. I'm too lazy to do it for you, but The recommendation I gave you is a block away from the green line parking lot.

You will save a TON of loot by riding the metro. Plus it's not far from the hotel. Free breakfast too.

The plus of the metro is that you can hop any loop you want and it will take you where you want to go on the cheap. Bring some comfortable walking shoes. Everything is within walking distance.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I am leaning towards your idea 2112......
Call me sometime and we can discuss the details. Regardless of where you decide to stay, the metro is your friend. There is a metro app for the iPhone. I'm sure the droid has one too.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I just echo what Gary said. One night we took a car out and ended up stuck in traffic for two and a half hours plus. The guys who took the Metro and left minutes after us beat us back by half an hour.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
On thing about the Metro is that every passenger must have their own card. In Boston, any number of people can share a single "Charlie Card" because the fares are a flat rate. The DC Metro charges you based on where you get on and off. On top of that, the Metro parking garages can only be paid for with a Metro card. Believe me, I know as I made both of these mistakes while I was there 2 years ago.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I try not to cross the river heading in that direction . I keep my butt on this side of the river !

Just kidding (sort of) , but this thread is of interest to me as we (some brothers) have been bouncing around the idea of going on a "Masonic" tour of DC .

I try not to cross the river heading in that direction . I keep my butt on this side of the river !

Just kidding (sort of) , but this thread is of interest to me as we (some brothers) have been bouncing around the idea of going on a "Masonic" tour of DC .
I am working on that angle too....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
They said on the radio the other day that DC is the 5th unfriendliest city in the U.S.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
The people there were great, we got a lot of shocked/ dumbfounded looks though because we walked around eight deep sometimes in our Lodges shirts.