What is the modern role of Freemasonry compared to 18th century

automutation

I didn't know about politics being off limits for discussion because the legendary architects of the American revolution and many Presidents are Freemasons and I assumed that government was a topic discussed by the brotherhood.

Much respect

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We can talk politics , but only outside of a "Tyled" lodge meeting . We talk politics all the time while in the dining hall or after our stated meeting . There are two things that are sure to start a heated debate , religion and politics , so to keep the peace and maintain harmony in lodge we do not talk of such things during our meetings . When we step into lodge we all meet on the level as equals and all religious beliefs , political leanings and social standing are left outside the lodge room door .

automutation

It's like you don't talk about the subject on Thanksgiving when you're with your family from different backgrounds because its about having a good time.

Thanks for clearing it up

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Exactly . We have a hardcore Democrat in my lodge that absolutely hates the Republican party , any political talks with him leads into an arguement so we shy away from talking politics with him , period .

Same with religion , I remember once a man wanted to petition a lodge . He asked me if he could "witness" to the Lodge members while in lodge , I told him NO , there may be some who would take offense to that , I know I would . I may have someone of the jewish faith (or any other faith) setting beside me and I know he would not want to be witnessed too or have to listen to it . He didn't like that and started to argue with me so that showed me what would happen if he was in lodge , needless to say he did not petition a lodge .

automutation

I think of the two party system as some kind of pendulum that swings back and forth. And the end result is nothing ever gets done. Mostly it divides the people into two groups and every issue is compromised to make one thing happen.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think of the two party system as some kind of pendulum that swings back and forth. And the end result is nothing ever gets done. Mostly it divides the people into two groups and every issue is compromised to make one thing happen.
I could not agree more .