What is your favorite holiday and why?

rbryantr

I am interested to know this for several reasons. Personally, my favorite holiday is, and has been for several years, Thanksgiving.
This is a holiday that retailers and card companies have not sunk their metaphorical teeth into. Thanksgiving is still all about getting together with our family, friends and other loved ones to celebrate all of the good things that have come our way in the past year and to give thanks for the same. It is also a time when nobody is expecting to get anything, other than a stomach ache because, once again, they ate too much of the wonderful foods prepared for us!
Maybe I am just turning into a curmudgeonly old Vermonter a bit early in life, but that is they way of life!

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
My favorite......Fourth of July.... it gives me an additional day to remember the men and women who fought and died for our country's freedoms. Also to remember the struggles that our founding fathers (and brothers) went through to establish this great country.

Besides I can BBQ and eat watermelon and spit the seeds on the lawn.:eek::D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Halloween . The leaves are changing , there is a chill in the air , the haunted houses , hay rides , festivals etc; etc ; .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Tough question: I have so many that are special in the terms of memories of past events. I put forth :Thanksmas. It is the holiday that evolved from my children being adults and being really busy, and since I am divorced from their mother that adds another place to go..
So we get together, usually at my Son's home as it is in the middle, on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and have a dinner party to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas all at the same time.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
My favorite......Fourth of July.... it gives me an additional day to remember the men and women who fought and died for our country's freedoms. Also to remember the struggles that our founding fathers (and brothers) went through to establish this great country.

Besides I can BBQ and eat watermelon and spit the seeds on the lawn.:eek::D
I prefer to term it Independence Day. I had a hard time finding out what Cinco de Mayo was...
Old joke: Do they have 4th of July in England?
YES! right after 3rd of July.

:D

Winter

I've been here before
Purim!

That's is the holiday where we remember the story of Esther and we are commanded to drink so much that we forget the difference between good and evil!

brothaofdes

Thanksgiving - friends and family get together to eat, drink and converse. Minimal stress except for ensuring the food is cooked.

Best day of the year, and one I truly look forward to.

emarsh

Seriously - holidays don't do that much for me. Seems like they have become so commercialized that they have pretty much lost their meaning. But I do appreciate the Forth of July. America's Founding Fathers (the radical Masons that many of them were) really did something special and unique. It's a shame that as a whole we seem to have abandoned many of the ideals that they stood for.

G

Gary

I'm a Halloween buff. I've always been interested in special effects and animatronics like at the Disney Haunted Mansion.

I haven't done it in a while, but doing up the lawn and scaring the kiddies makes for a fun night for everyone. I used to get carloads of people showing up just to look at the displays I'd do.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I love Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Halloween, I love the scariness of it. I love that aspect.

Thanksgiving, the food and family.

Christmas the joy in my childs eyes, food and family.

That being said, everyone needs to contact Alton Brown and tell him he needs to do a special on cooking an original Harvest Feast (which lead to modern day Thanksgiving) dinner. I've done my best to try and contact him, and heard nothing.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Purim!

That's is the holiday where we remember the story of Esther and we are commanded to drink so much that we forget the difference between good and evil!
My sister has a cat named Purim, she was adopted from a nice Jewish family. (Not my sister, the cat).

There is a difference between good & evil? Are they not just different sides of the same coin of human behavior?

Winter

I've been here before
My sister has a cat named Purim, she was adopted from a nice Jewish family. (Not my sister, the cat).

There is a difference between good & evil? Are they not just different sides of the same coin of human behavior?
Yes. And, yes. And a girl who adpts a nice kitten from a nice Jewish family is a wonderful young lady! (Too bad the cat is probably a hellion!) LOL

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Purim!

I work for a company based in Israel. Last year, I had to fly home the day before Purim in Tel Aviv. I was most disappointed.

At the airport, I was chatting with a woman who told me the nickname for Tel Aviv is "Gomorrah".