What kind of Tyler's sword do you use?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
That is what our Lodge uses, it is fairly old.
I have brought other 'tools' for the Tyler's use and there might be plans for more.

Winter

I've been here before
Jason,

One of my Lodges uses the same Tylers sword except with the red velvet grip. Another Lodge I belong to uses an authentic 150 year old Union Army cavalry saber from the Civil War! It's pretty cool.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Ok so we have the same one hanging by the door, but and older sword is kept with the Tyler's jewel and apron. The Tyler this year has a pig sticker with a skull on top. Looks like a cane doubles as his implement!

Bropreston

large musketeer type sword, which I get to enter the lodge salute with and state my dutys, always enjoy it!;)

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
We generally use an old Knight Templar style sword which was presented to our Lodge in thee 1920's. But we did have a lot of fun one year: the Master's father was the Tyler and at each meeting the Master used a different sword. Including a really giant one and once he even used one of those sword shaped swizzle sticks.

edwmax

Many Lodges use the Knights Templar or Excalibur style sword. ... The correct sword should be the Flaming Sword.

ref: The sword

And, when mounted & displayed at the door, the point should up. ... Most mounted displays place the point down, which is incorrect.

Winter

I've been here before
That's interesting. One of my pet peeves are all the silly looking costume swords (my Lodge included) that are used by Tylers. A good, well made and functional sword looks so much nicer.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
That's interesting. One of my pet peeves are all the silly looking costume swords (my Lodge included) that are used by Tylers. A good, well made and functional sword looks so much nicer.
Google it, there are many available, some nicer than others.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I am partial to either a ninja sword (especially if it is autographed by Randy Jackson) or a samurai
OHHHH the the Tyler dress like a samurai when he uses the katana???

EDMAX I would love to read that info if you have it written somewhere so I can take it to Lodge.

edwmax

OHHHH the the Tyler dress like a samurai when he uses the katana???

EDMAX I would love to read that info if you have it written somewhere so I can take it to Lodge.
Click on the reference link 'The Sword' in the above post.

OR ... http://www.freemasonry.bcy.ca/symbolism/sword.html

and ... http://www.njfreemason.net/symbolism_of_the_sword.htm

ps: ... Something is changing the BBCode for URL ... instead of the link as I typed it, a Title or key word is shown. I have to edit the post to show the complet URL. ...????.... Forum software or Firefox 5 ...???...

edwmax

OH ... I just had a bad idea ... when the JD opens the outer door to instruct the Tyler to Tile the Lodge; the Tyler to be standing with the sword point up and the top 6 inches or so on fire (lights out in the anti-room) ... dip the sword point in alcohol and light when the JD knocks. This can the be the prelude to a "Short Talk" about the Flaming Sword.

... A bucket of sand or wet towel can put out the flame. ...

Winter

I've been here before
Click on the reference link 'The Sword' in the above post.
OR ... The sword
and ... The Symbolism of the Sword
ps: ... Something is changing the BBCode for URL ... instead of the link as I typed it, a Title or key word is shown. I have to edit the post to show the complet URL. ...????.... Forum software or Firefox 5 ...???...
The practice can't be too old since the flame style of blade only goes back to about the 16th century. Although I really like the symbolism of it representing the sword at the gates of Eden.

A really neat idea would be to have a sword that would have been actually carried by the temple guards during the construction of Solomon's Temple in the 10th century BCE. Here is an example from western Iran of that period:

Near Eastern Luristan Bronze Short Sword

A cast bronze, historically accurate sword from that period would be a definite discussion piece!

[Did I mention I'm an archaeologist! LOL]