Whew! I'm beat!

G

Gary

I jumped into Masonic Education with both feet!

In the last couple of days I've completed Lesson 3 of the SR Master Craftsman Course and sent if off to be graded. I read most of the book Building Janus, and I've written a 4 page essay on the Wages of a Master Mason.

The paper will be shortened up for a talk in Lodge at our next stated communication. I don't consider the paper finished by any means, as it can easily turn into a short book! I don't think I'll take it that far, but I could easily venture down the rabbit hole on this subject. The paper makes some interesting connections.

Has anyone else been doing any interesting Masonic study?

No Mr Hotshot Smarty Pants...LOL....You get that book...I mean "essay" done and maybe you can find ya someone that can help get it published....I hear that MC program is very good, I would like to complete it myself someday....as for Building Janus....I believe I have two volumes before that one to read first.

Make us proud and if you get your "essay/book" published, give FMH a shout out....Now I have to write an essay on the Revolutionary War and one on the Articles of Confederation...

G

Gary

No Mr Hotshot Smarty Pants...LOL....You get that book...I mean "essay" done and maybe you can find ya someone that can help get it published....I hear that MC program is very good, I would like to complete it myself someday....as for Building Janus....I believe I have two volumes before that one to read first.

Make us proud and if you get your "essay/book" published, give FMH a shout out....Now I have to write an essay on the Revolutionary War and one on the Articles of Confederation...
I'll be lucky if the paper gets the pass from my "editors"...LOL

I'll share it with you when it's completed. I've got a few more things to add to finish it up. It's only in draft #2. It's coming along nicely though. My goal is to submit it to FL Lodge of Research.

As for the MC program, you'll like it. It's not too bad to get through. You can do it easy peasy. It's interesting and fun. 6 lessons for MC1. I'm half way done! Woot! I have to join the SR in order to do the second course.

Regarding your paper on the Revolutionary War, Bro. Hodapp's book Solomon's Builders has some cool Masonic references about the articles of Confederation, and the Revolutionary war in general. I just finished reading that one too.. LOL I've been a busy guy!

I can look some stuff up if your interested.

I have most of the info stewing around in my brain....just tired and cant get it to come together and luckily, Blackboard is down for three days and I just got the notification and now have a few extra days so I can look for some more info....I will check out Bro. Hodapps book and if ya got some info on the Articles, sure I would be glad to have it.

Bro, I have the utmost confidence that the "editor" and the FL Lodge of research will find your writings to be exemplary.

MC program is on my bucket list....but not before I finish the Building series....

Not to hijack the thread but I am wondering what the more studious Brothers think about masonic study taking place via discussions and reading short articles. Being someone that is a kinestetic learner, I find I gain volumes more knowledge in discussions than I do if I just read.

Sometimes, masonic writings go on and on and on and on.........and the words just start blending into one long run-on sentence.....

DavisB

As for the MC program, you'll like it. It's not too bad to get through. You can do it easy peasy. It's interesting and fun. 6 lessons for MC1. I'm half way done! Woot! I have to join the SR in order to do the second course.
Do you not have to join to do the first part?

Winter

I've been here before
You SR Brothers have it made. We don't have anything like that in the NJ. I call shenanigans! I want an MC program!

YouTube - ‪shenanigans‬‏

G

Gary

Brother,

The course is available to take directly from the Supreme Council SJ. It is information that Master Masons in any jurisdiction recognizing the SR can benefit from. Even you NJ types can take it!

Scottish Rite Online Store

CoachN

Builder Builder
Has anyone else been doing any interesting Masonic study?
Yep. Currently I'm cataloging the character traits of the North American Ruffian. It's mostly a Field Guide for their identification and handling but eventually it will encompass their capture, corruption and conversion toward Lighter Work.
Well now I'm stuck on whether to take the MC course first or this one:

http://www.alchemywebsite.com/bookshop/foundation_study_course.html
What's you end-in-mind and which one will support your journey there first?

Winter

I've been here before
What's you end-in-mind and which one will support your journey there first?
I promised myself I would make a greater in-depth study of the alchemical arts in order better build my own foundation of esoteric knowledge to apply to Freemasonry when I finished college.

G

Gary

I promised myself I would make a greater in-depth study of the alchemical arts in order better build my own foundation of esoteric knowledge to apply to Freemasonry when I finished college.
Then the answer is clear. Save the MC courses for later, and take the Alchemy course first.

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, but I hear you guys talking about the MC course and I think I maybe want to take that next.

G

Gary

To be honest, the MC1 class would be easy for you. I don't see why you couldn't do both at the same time if you wanted to.

The MC1 course has a 20 question multiple guess quiz, and an essay requirement. The topic is basically what were your thoughts about the lesson.

It's not too bad, and there is no time limit.

Winter

I've been here before
My GL offers two correspondence courses. I did both some time ago and had fun. Particularly the one that makes you dig into the Masonic Code. That's a part of a new Brother's education that I believe is lacking here. A proper study of the laws that guide us is just as important as the symbolism.

The MCCC (Masonic Code Correspondence Course)
http://www.wisc-freemasonry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MASONIC-CODE-CORRESPONDENCE-COURSE-MCCC.pdf

MECC (Masonic Education Correspondence Course)
http://www.wisc-freemasonry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MASONIC-EDUCATION-CORRESPONDENCE-COURSE-MECC.pdf

G

Gary

My GL offers two correspondence courses. I did both some time ago and had fun. Particularly the one that makes you dig into the Masonic Code. That's a part of a new Brother's education that I believe is lacking here. A proper study of the laws that guide us is just as important as the symbolism.

The MCCC (Masonic Code Correspondence Course)
http://www.wisc-freemasonry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MASONIC-CODE-CORRESPONDENCE-COURSE-MCCC.pdf

MECC (Masonic Education Correspondence Course)
http://www.wisc-freemasonry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MASONIC-EDUCATION-CORRESPONDENCE-COURSE-MECC.pdf

Those remind me of a similar program here in Florida. The Master Mason, 1,2, and 3 courses. It takes you through the Masonic Digest/ by laws etc., for Florida.

Afterward it is graded by the GL, and you get a nice certificate. I've yet to have mine framed.

I recommend that you take these when you move back down here. you can knock all three out in an evening. They offer them at least annually.

G

Gary

Well folks, I think the major work is done with my research paper. It wound up being 5 pages. I had several trusted Brothers read it to give me advise and review it with a critical eye.

I followed their advise, and I'm thrilled to have accomplished what I set out to do. We'll see if it's worthy of getting published or not. Regardless, I learned quite a bit!

johnj1582

Well, I have just one more MCI quiz left, which should arrive any day now (VERY excited to get it, too), and I've completed the first packet of the College of the Consistory program from Guthrie Valley. I'll be sending it back in tomorrow. I've really enjoyed it, too. It's a bit more detailed than the MCI quizzes, with each degree getting its own quiz. AND it's a free course. Can't beat that!