Why did you choose to become a Mason?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]
During my degree work I found out my great-grandfather was a PHA Bro. in MO.
Why did you decide to join a mainstream lodge instead of a PHA lodge?

We had an interesting question a few month ago at the local (PHA) District Meeting I have been invited to attend. (I'm a 'mainstream')
One of the brothers asked the DDGM repeatedly which lodge system he should advise a fellow at work to petition: F&AM (PHA) or AF&AM (MS). Exasperated the DDGM asked why the man shouldn't just petition the lodge he wanted. The Brother cried, "But...he's WHITE!"

"...the internal and not the external qualifications of a man are what Masonry regards." Fellow Craft Degree Charge

S&F

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Well I didn't interact with any PHA but I had met a few and it was also where I knew someone... later where I knew a few guys. My Lodge has had regular visitors from our PHA brothers. A few of which are actually considering plural membership. Furthermore, (you'd think I'd tire of that word) the external qualifactions. I'm multi-racial (short list is Black, Japanese, Native American and White) and I feel that I feel that segrating yourself only contributes to the hinderance of progression. I know no differnce in color, in my family you have to be color blind... well a younger cousin of mine did call my father her "chocolate uncle". Priceless. No if I can get past the place of darkness jokes with my bestfriend.

Sciacca

When i was a child, my idol, my Grandfather had this shiny ring on and i said Grandpa how can i get one of those? he answered, when you get a little older i will tell you son! Shortly after my 23rd birthday he takes me into the kitchen away from everyone and said, i hear you have an interest in being a Mason? i answered in the affirmative/couple weeks later i was riding the goat as they say. He sat in the east for all 3 of my Blue Lodge Degrees and that will be a memory i will bring to my grave. i will never forget the look on his face when he braught me to light and i passed all my exams so quickly...oh man the long nights in the barn studying in the cold!!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Well I didn't interact with any PHA but I had met a few and it was also where I knew someone... later where I knew a few guys. My Lodge has had regular visitors from our PHA brothers. A few of which are actually considering plural membership. Furthermore, (you'd think I'd tire of that word) the external qualifactions. I'm multi-racial (short list is Black, Japanese, Native American and White) and I feel that I feel that segrating yourself only contributes to the hinderance of progression. I know no differnce in color, in my family you have to be color blind... well a younger cousin of mine did call my father her "chocolate uncle". Priceless. No if I can get past the place of darkness jokes with my bestfriend.
Thank you for being candid and answering my question. I am asking out of curiosity, and not trying to sound like I am accusing you of joining the wrong group.
Here locally, we are struggling with the recognition that is supposed to be the norm, since our GL of 2008, where we voted "yes" to recognition, with 4 votes (out of nearly a thousand) short of a 2/3 majority.
I am working to bring the two groups together, but I don't want to sound like I am doing it alone! We have regular meetings of interested people from both groups, but I wish we could find some ACTION that would further our cause without causing dissension and vicious attack.
Unfortunately, in my own lodge, I have heard, "The first time I see a ______ in this lodge will be that last time you'll see me!" Sometimes I am bursting to say, "We'll miss you."
I believe Masonry can teach us, and I want those who are intolerant, to learn that our PHA Brothers don't wear horns, don't expect to get drunk in lodge, and don't practice a Masonry much different than any other foreign Grand Lodge...like Ohio. We are trying to find joint activities that both groups can join in, to work beside their Brother and realize that he, too, is worried about the economy, whether his grandkids will quit school or try drugs, whether taxes will go up, whether his wife will be in a bad mood next time he gets home.

I take the teachings of Masonry seriously. [read the last sentence of my sig line.]

"...and honorable, as tending in every particular as to render all men who will be conformable to its precepts." -EA Degree Charge

S&F