Why do we call it "Blue Lodge"

Zeebalo

I have pondered this question for a few years and have consulted with Past Master's, current and past District Deputies and have yet to have anyone give me a definitive answer.

I do realize that "blue" is briefly mentioned in the EA lecture but that seems too insignificant to call the whole lodge "Blue Lodge".

I defer to your wisdom......Thanks

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Please forgive me if the information is not correct. I'm working off of memory from 2007. The way I was told, is Blue Lodges come from the York Rite side. Red Lodges, which I have only heard of in Louisiana, are descendant from the Scottish Rite Side.

That is about all I can remember unfortunately.

G

Gary

Borrowed from; Freemasons - About Freemasons;

According to Coil's Masonic Encyclopedia, there may be a number of reasons why symbolic lodges are called Blue Lodges. Since ancient times, the color blue has been associated with immortality, eternity, and fidelity. References to the color blue in the Bible emphasize the special place blue has as a color symbolizing goodness and immortality. The Druids also honored the color while the ancient Egyptians used the color to represent Amun, one of their most important gods. The ancient Babylonians associated the color blue with the gods. In Medieval times, Christians saw blue as the symbol of perfection and hope, and well as of immortality and fidelity.
According to Coil's Masonic Encyclopedia, it is not known when blue first came to be associated with Freemasonry, although some historians think that initially the color was used in Craft Masonry to represent the sky. Today, blue for Masons symbolizes brotherhood and symbolizes the fact that Masons should seek out virtues as extensive as the blue dome of heaven.

Zeebalo

Please forgive me if the information is not correct. I'm working off of memory from 2007. The way I was told, is Blue Lodges come from the York Rite side. Red Lodges, which I have only heard of in Louisiana, are descendant from the Scottish Rite Side.

That is about all I can remember unfortunately.
I can't speak about anywhere other than Ohio, Jason.
In Ohio, York Rite lodges are usually decorated in red and MM lodges in blue.
At least that has been my experience thus far.

Zeebalo

Good information Gary. Thanks.

Borrowed from; Freemasons - About Freemasons;

According to Coil's Masonic Encyclopedia, there may be a number of reasons why symbolic lodges are called Blue Lodges. Since ancient times, the color blue has been associated with immortality, eternity, and fidelity. References to the color blue in the Bible emphasize the special place blue has as a color symbolizing goodness and immortality. The Druids also honored the color while the ancient Egyptians used the color to represent Amun, one of their most important gods. The ancient Babylonians associated the color blue with the gods. In Medieval times, Christians saw blue as the symbol of perfection and hope, and well as of immortality and fidelity.
According to Coil's Masonic Encyclopedia, it is not known when blue first came to be associated with Freemasonry, although some historians think that initially the color was used in Craft Masonry to represent the sky. Today, blue for Masons symbolizes brotherhood and symbolizes the fact that Masons should seek out virtues as extensive as the blue dome of heaven.

G

Gary

No problem. I'm glad you asked the question, I learned a little something myself!

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I can't speak about anywhere other than Ohio, Jason.
In Ohio, York Rite lodges are usually decorated in red and MM lodges in blue.
At least that has been my experience thus far.
In PA, our Chapter and Commandery has Red over tones, the aprons and collars are trimmed in red and Blue lodge they are trimmed in Blue. With the exception of the Grand Lodge which is Purple.

Winter

I've been here before
It's interesting to hear that the different reasons that Brothers have learned for why our Lodges are called Blue Lodges.

A Brother from the UK told me that Craft Masonry is termed as a Blue Lodge because blue is the predominant color of the regalia in English and Irish Freemasonry. He also told me that in the UK the term is frowned upon and Brothers are encouraged to use the correct term (there) of Craft Masonry.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Hey, Winter! Looks like I'm following you around today. ;)

I've also heard that Scottish Rite Masonry was called "Red Masonry" at some point in time. They have a first-thru-third degree system, too, but I've also been told that the SR 1st-3rd is only practiced in Louisiana in this country. I guess the real answer is "who knows?"

Terry1955

Why is it called a "Blue" Lodge?
Blue is the heraldic color denoting universal friendship, as red denotes zeal, white denotes purity, and purple denotes royalty. Blue is also associated with fidelity. The term "Blue Lodge" is considered slang by older Masonic writers, who prefer the terms "Symbolic Lodge," "...
Answer found on mastermason.com

I always thought it was called "Blue" becasue in New Zealand that is the colour of the rossetes and trim of a MM's apron. The officers collars and their gauntlets are also blue