Why men are in trouble

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
(CNN) -- For the first time in history, women are better educated, more ambitious and arguably more successful than men.
Now, society has rightly celebrated the ascension of one sex. We said, "You go girl," and they went. We celebrate the ascension of women but what will we do about what appears to be the very real decline of the other sex?
The data does not bode well for men. In 1970, men earned 60% of all college degrees. In 1980, the figure fell to 50%, by 2006 it was 43%. Women now surpass men in college degrees by almost three to two. Women's earnings grew 44% in real dollars from 1970 to 2007, compared with 6% growth for men.

more Why men are in trouble - CNN.com

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
(CNN) -- For the first time in history, women are better educated, more ambitious and arguably more successful than men.
Now, society has rightly celebrated the ascension of one sex. We said, "You go girl," and they went. We celebrate the ascension of women but what will we do about what appears to be the very real decline of the other sex?
The data does not bode well for men. In 1970, men earned 60% of all college degrees. In 1980, the figure fell to 50%, by 2006 it was 43%. Women now surpass men in college degrees by almost three to two. Women's earnings grew 44% in real dollars from 1970 to 2007, compared with 6% growth for men.

One more statistic, though: Women still earn 12% less then men in equivalent positions.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
One more statistic, though: Women still earn 12% less then men in equivalent positions.
That itself could be why women employment is on the rise; for two of the higher paid men you could hire on one woman, who would make less, and pile on the work.

When I was in banking I still needed to hire women tellers because all the higher up positions contained enough males to offset.

I am not making any political statement so please dont delete this..... but if you look at those who are participating in the protests in NYC and the other places you will see it is mostly young men....not women..... they are doing what it takes to succeed....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Interesting that everyone is focusing on the money. I can honestly care less about that. I wish the wife made more money then, I would love it. Not even sure why they included that in the article as the amount of money does not make a man. But it could be seen as men no longer being the bread winner I guess.

No mention of males 18-34 spending more time playing video games then 12-17 year olds. Out of wedlock birthrates going up by 30%. 27% of children today grow up living apart from their fathers.

I thought the ending hand a good lesson, maybe one some Masons should think about too:
Someone once characterized the two essential questions Plato posed as: Who teaches the children, and what do we teach them? Each generation of men and women have an obligation to teach the younger males (and females of course) coming behind them. William Wordsworth said, "What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." When they fail in that obligation, trouble surely follows.