Wings up/wings down?

wolfbrau

Does any brother know the difference in the meaning of the 32° (thanks fireman & Duncan)wings up or wings down?

G

Gary

I think it has something to do with the Supreme Council. Those at labor in the Council are represented by wings up for their 33rds. I also think PHA /international is wings up for their 32nds.

BrotherDave

I was originally told "wings up" represents the Northern Jurisdiction of Scottish Rite and wings down represents the Southern Jurisdiction.

However, based on my understanding, I think GaryE is correct.

G

Gary

I was originally told "wings up" represents the Northern Jurisdiction of Scottish Rite and wings down represents the Southern Jurisdiction.

However, based on my understanding, I think GaryE is correct.
I've heard that too about the NJ. Someone from the NJ here may be able to clarify that.

Winter

I've been here before
I went through SR here in the NJ. Wings down is the norm and wings up are Active 33rds. Also, PHA here uses wings up.

Winter

I've been here before
From what I have seen, it's just a preference thing and many wear whateverlooks pretty! lol I've never seen any guidance on the matter, I was just relating what I was told.

Imagine that, something in Masonry where we're not all on the same page! LOL

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
NO...say it isnt so.....:eek::confused::eek::D
YouTube - HALL & OATES - SAY IT ISN'T SO[/url]
Looked at the video. OK, I like Hall & Oates. Went to at least one of their concerts when I lived in Indpls.
Was there something of interest to the forum on this video that I didn't notice?

G

Gary

Bro. Bob, ADD runs rampant here. Some of the brothers are off their meds to boot. The video had no bearing on the subject matter other than Fireman's comment; "say it isn't so!". :rolleyes:

We have a strange bunch here, but I love them. :D

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
NOPE..... just went along with the words of my post..."Say it isnt so"

indianapolis...are you a native Hoosier?
Naw, I was born up in Waukegan, Ill.
We went broke up there and moved back to Pittsboro, Ind, when I was 6 months old, then to Southport, Ind, when I was 9yo, Graduated from Southport HS. Moved to the Dayton (actually Kettering), OH, for school when I was 27, then to eastern NC ever since.
So, no, I'm not a NATIVE Hooser!
:D

Gypsie...hmmmm...me too...lived in every state on the east coast twice before 8th grade....

Did I mention I got a nice shiney SR Pin???

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
This, from Bro. Chris Hodap's Freemasonry for Dummies:

If you trawl around the Internet looking at Scottish Rite websites, you'll come across its primary symbol: the double-headed eagle. You're also likely to find it portrayed sometimes with the wings down and sometimes with the wings up. This is one of those gripping dilemmas that has plagued Scottish Rite Masons since their first trip to the jewelry shop to buy a Scottish Rite ring. So, what's the difference between double eagles with wings up and double eagles with wings down?

The official adopted logo of the Southern Masonic Jurisdiction (SMJ) is wings down. As far as the SMJ Supreme Council is concerned, anything that is "wings up" is purely an artistic license and has no official symbolism.

In the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction (NMJ), wings down is also the Supreme Council's official logo. However the wings-up version is used in the NMJ to distinguish it's thirty or so active 33rd-degree members (the equivalent of board members) and no one else.

Other Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite jurisdictions (AASR) use wings up as their official logo, including some Prince Hall AASRs as well as more than a few unrecognized, clandestine ones. Some non-U.S. jurisdictions, including Canada, use the wings-up version as well. But in the United States, it's primarily wings-down.
So ... which ring should you get? Depends on a) who you are and b) which jurisdiction you belong to. If you're just being made a 32 in either SMJ or NMJ, get wings down. If you are neither SMJ or NMJ, ask somebody who would know (like the secretary) of your jurisdiction.

After looking around...and checking FM for Dummies also....maybe my pin is wings down....I was thinking the position was up...but it may be what they are calling down....

Winter

I've been here before
After looking around...and checking FM for Dummies also....maybe my pin is wings down....I was thinking the position was up...but it may be what they are calling down....
Look at the tips of the wings, which way are they pointing?