Wood stove, now or later?

Necktie

It is starting to get a bit chilly out and I am trying to decide if I should use the wood stove. Then I wonder if I have enough wood to get through the coldest part of the season and think that it is too early to start using the wood stove. What do you think?

Sammy

I usually try to wait until mid October early November before I start up my wood stove. I also cut wood all winter so if it starts dropping below 50 I usually start it.

iMav

-==-
Not enough information.

How cold is it getting now? How much wood do you currently have stored up? How much do you go through on an average winter day/night?

;)

Robby

It really depends upon the area you live in, and the other questions iMav have asked. You really have to determine your own usage before you can decide whether to go ahead and use the stove. If I run out I just go and cut more or if I'm being lazy, buy some more.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I honestly cannot comment. I do not have a fire place and here it does not stay "cold" for long. But I do love chopping wood, and would build up as much as I can. Any extra means I get to smoke some meat. And that is always good.

Robby

I know what you mean Jason. I love hickory and mesquite smoked meat. I like to smoke deer jerky too. It is really good to use when you're outside hunting or what ever.

Necktie

More info

We have a small wood stove that we use for supplemental heating. I have been cutting wood all summer long and have quite a large pile. Not sure how you measure that. I have heard people use the term cords but I do not know how much wood is in a cord. Things are starting to warm up right now but we were down in to the 40s at night. Today I finished a shed that I am going to store some wood in so I can keep it dry.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
We have a small wood stove that we use for supplemental heating. I have been cutting wood all summer long and have quite a large pile. Not sure how you measure that. I have heard people use the term cords but I do not know how much wood is in a cord. Things are starting to warm up right now but we were down in to the 40s at night. Today I finished a shed that I am going to store some wood in so I can keep it dry.
The cord is the only legal measure to use in firewood, by federal law. Not a rick, not a load, not a truckload...all of which I have seen advertised here in eastern NC.
The cord is a densely packed stack of wood, four feet high, eight feet long, and of four foot lengths.
Many wood sellers will try to fool you about the four foot length part. I got into a very heated argument with one 15-20 years ago. He was already pi$$ed that I wouldn't pay for the wood until I had stacked it, since he wouldn't.

S&F

CoachN

Builder Builder
I'd scrap the idea and go for a metal stove.

It's less dangerous and it lasts longer than one made of of wood.