Words: Indite

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Indite

Usage: "...write, indite, cut, carve,..."

BTW, "indict" is listed as an obsolete synonym pretty far down the list, but this usage is completely different.

S&F

CoachN

Builder Builder
When I first looked this up many years ago, I was left with: to incorporate into prose.

Let me look it up again!

CoachN

Builder Builder
AH! Close enough!

in·dite (
n-d
t
)
tr.v. in·dit·ed, in·dit·ing, in·dites
To write; compose.
2. To set down in writing.
3. Obsolete To dictate.
4. Obsolete To prescribe.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Aw, come on, Coach! Looking up the words takes the fun out of it. Let's have some time to make educated guesses from experience!

When I first heard this word and asked a Brother what it meant, I was told it referred to printing with pressure, I guess similar to the intaglio process the U.S. Bureau of Engraving uses to print currency. I was surprised to not see it as a definition in my research.

S&F

CoachN

Builder Builder
Aw, come on, Coach! Looking up the words takes the fun out of it. Let's have some time to make educated guesses from experience!

When I first heard this word and asked a Brother what it meant, I was told it referred to printing with pressure, I guess similar to the intaglio process the U.S. Bureau of Engraving uses to print currency. I was surprised to not see it as a definition in my research.

S&F
Forgive me. The first post was from rote. The second was merely a confirmation. I shall circumscribe this secondary inditing action into the future until others reply.