Writing ceremony

DrewC

No offense taken brother! In fact, I would at least partially agree with being unsure about what I was to reflect on, especially considering I did not experience the CoR till I was raised. I think the CoR, combined with the initiatic experience of the EA degree, can provide greater light for the new brother and provide a strong base for beginning their Masonic journey.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Please dont take any offense at my comment. I just remember my EA being so new and different that I dont know what I would have thought about in there.
Believe me, I know enough about the craft to know that I dont know anything, but I do want to learn, and glad the forum is here for me to ask questions. :)
And I totally agree with everyone about the jokes and such. Outside the Lodge, before the ceremony is one thing, but never during the degree.
No offense was taken , just stating my feelings on the subject . Though I do not agree with it before the Initiation neither , UNLESS it is jokes that have nothing to do with Masonry (Three ducks walk into a bar.......) . Having a laugh with them to ease their nervousness is one thing , but we should impress upon them how important the step they are about to take .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
There is a true story I will pass on to the Candidates in my Lodge. The lodge was putting on a third degree on a Saturday. One of the members is a farmer who had a sick goat. He placed the goat in a cage in the bed of his pickup and, thinking nothing of it, drove to the lodge for the degree. The two Candidates happened to be outside the lodge having a smoke when he drove up. One of the Candidates said "F*** this!" and drove away. The other went through the degree. It took three months and the other Candidate visiting his home to convince the guy the goat was not involved.

I tell this story to give them a chuckle and to let them know the goat jokes have no veracity.

Winter

I've been here before
My Lodge works in the Emulation Rite and the Chamber of Reflection is an integral part of the initiation. But we don't just stick the candidate in a dark room with a skull and a candle. The candidate is given writing implements and a very specific set of questions to answer honestly. The questions are very specific and designed to ensure that his mind is pointing in the correct direction when his initiation degree begins.

Winter

I've been here before
An excellent article that goes into detail about the CoR is on the GL of B.C. & Y.

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/gmd1999/pondering.html

QUESTIONS
As mentioned earlier, our candidate was given a piece of paper with questions, which he must answer in order to proceed with the initiation.
PHILISOPHICAL TESTAMENT
The answers to the questions asked of the candidate become the initial point towards the elaboration of his philosophical and moral testament. The philosophical testament provides a glimpse of the attitude and character of the future initiate and is unique to each individual. The candidate’s true nature will be shown in his answers to the proposed questions as well as in his philosophical testament. On the other hand, it can also bring him discredit, depending on his answers. In the Chamber of Reflection, he has time to reconsider his request for admission in our Fraternity. If his motives are not pure as admonished by the writings on the wall, or if he is fearful and not courageous enough, then he might not be able to keep inviolate the secrets of Freemasonry. Furthermore, solitary in the Chamber of Reflection, our prospective initiate can ponder on thequestions presented to him, on his life, and future. Therefore, the reflection to which the title of this Chamber refers, is not just the pondering of the candidate, but primarily the reflection of his own inner being. This could bring him discredit in certain cases. Note that all the dictionary meanings of the word reflection invoked at the beginning of this exposition are represented in the Chamber and obey the same hierarchical order.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I see the Chamber of Reflection as a wonderful adjunct to the experience of any of the degrees, if the candidate is properly prepared and guided.

The Writing Ceremony is a detriment. It is hazing.

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
That, to my way of thinking, is the purpose of the writing ceremony.
Imo it is not the ceremony that is negative but the actions of some of the Bros on the sidelines. The laughing, snickering etc is uncalled for.
If I had my way, Those that snickered or talked during Lodge would be thrown out by the Tyler. IMO it's a weak WM that lets that ignorance go on without a strong rap of the gavel. Maybe that's why I'll never be a WM. The sidelines would be empty.