Wwyd? Q2

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You open an e-mail to find a huge file of your company's HR data that was sent to you in error. You can see how much everyone makes, their performance reports … everything that is pertinent to their employment. So, do you
a) take a quick skim through before notifying the sender; or
b) close it immediately and notify the sender?
Is it wrong to look even if you keep the information to yourself?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
As a retired state employee [NC], we found in the late Aughties (about 2007) that our individual salaries were considered public information. It caused GREAT dissension when the list was published by the Noisy Obscurer (the News&Observer of Raleigh). Many of us loyal employees had not gotten salary raises consistent with the rate of inflation since 1983...and new hires certainly wouldn't accept a job offer with what we were making.

Would I look at such a list? Would I save it?
The temptation would be great.

S&F

FF Sparky

I think looking at will show how you rank in the company, but at the same time looking at it will show you how they you. Could be good news...could be bad news. But either way, I would not read it. Other peoples business is their business

jaya

Public employees should be public information. They work for us and get paid from our tax dollers. Non public individuals information should not be public. If I saw it, I would keep it secret and not disclose it.

FF Sparky

Public employees should be public information. They work for us and get paid from our tax dollers. Non public individuals information should not be public. If I saw it, I would keep it secret and not disclose it.
I don't think public employees salaries should be public either. Its still personal information. They are not any different than me. I work hard for everything I earned and deserve for salary(Although I think I deserve for....lol) Not every public employee makes 150k a year, some are considerably lower.