Wwyd? Q5

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
A fat man leading a group of people out of a cave on a coast is stuck in the mouth of that cave. In a short time high tide will be upon them, and unless he is unstuck, they will all be drowned except the fat man, whose head is out of the cave. [But, fortunately, or unfortunately, someone has with him a stick of dynamite.] There seems no way to get the fat man loose without using [that] dynamite which will inevitably kill him; but if they do not use it everyone will drown. What should they do?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Sick the dynamite up his arse. If he wasn't so fat, he wouldn't have put everyone else in this situation. It's not murder. He will kill everyone else that is behind him, and will also eventually die of starvation anyway. Either way, someone has to die.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Forgive me for being so blunt...

I think that they should use the same thinking that allowed them to support a fat man blocking their only exit.

Darwin rules!

FF Sparky

How did the fat man get in? and who is gunna volunteer to stuck the dynamite in the only orfice available?

And who walks around with a stick of dynamite....lol

CoachN

Builder Builder
How did the fat man get in? and who is gunna volunteer to stuck the dynamite in the only orfice available?

And who walks around with a stick of dynamite....lol
The same kind of people who would allow a large man to block their only exit.

jaya

He had to get in somehow. If he can not get out, then he could not have gotten in. He did not just get fat while in the cave. If someone is carrying dynamite then they are more than prepared for something. I would bet they have a hammer, mallet, or other such tools. Try chipping around the hole to enlarge it then pull the fat man out. It would not take much of an enlargement to get the man loose.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
He got stuck forcing his way out. Why not have everyone in the group help pull him back into the cave which has to be easier than forcing him out. Then use the the dynamite to make the cave opening wider. Everyone leaves.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
He got stuck forcing his way out. Why not have everyone in the group help pull him back into the cave which has to be easier than forcing him out. Then use the the dynamite to make the cave opening wider. Everyone leaves.
First thing I asked when the question presented itself. Why not pull the guy back out.

I just wonder, for those that would blow him up how their feelings would change if it was their child/brother/father/family member stuck in the hole.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
First thing I asked when the question presented itself. Why not pull the guy back out.

I just wonder, for those that would blow him up how their feelings would change if it was their child/brother/father/family member stuck in the hole.
Presumably, if he couldn't be pulled forward, he couldn't be pulled backwards. I would imagine that along with many other options would be attempted before such a drastic thing as blowing him apart would happen.

As far as how I would feel? Lets turn the table... How would the guy who was stuck explain to the families of the others that were trapped behind him? He guided them into harms way, and then selfishly let them die?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Presumably, if he couldn't be pulled forward, he couldn't be pulled backwards. I would imagine that along with many other options would be attempted before such a drastic thing as blowing him apart would happen.

As far as how I would feel? Lets turn the table... How would the guy who was stuck explain to the families of the others that were trapped behind him? He guided them into harms way, and then selfishly let them die?
If the answer was easy, I guess it would not be a moral dilemma.

I wonder if the option of blowing up the entry way where the water was coming in was considered. But there are always a lot of ifs ands or buts. Has given me an idea for the next WWYD question though.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
If the answer was easy, I guess it would not be a moral dilemma.

I wonder if the option of blowing up the entry way where the water was coming in was considered. But there are always a lot of ifs ands or buts. Has given me an idea for the next WWYD question though.
It's a tough situation for sure. I like these... Keep up the good work Bro.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.

Well, the question said his head was stuck, so I'm guessing he can't go forward, but you still have a shot at backwards. Even if skin or ears are ripped off, it's still better than death.

They willingly followed him, so I can't say for sure that he guided them into harm's way. Selfishly letting them die? Not sure that was his choice, so I can't say that it was selfish. Stupid definitely. Putting your head into an opening that you body can't fit through? Definitely stupid.

I think self sacrifice may be the only other option, in order to save others. That would be selfless, rather than selfish. That's a better story to tell his family.