Yard Sale Question

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
If something at a yard sale is far more valuable than the posted price, do you have to let the seller know? A piece of furniture you've been searching for is marked $25. You know that similar pieces in worse condition have sold for more than 10 times as much. Do you let them know?

FF Sparky

If something at a yard sale is far more valuable than the posted price, do you have to let the seller know? A piece of furniture you've been searching for is marked $25. You know that similar pieces in worse condition have sold for more than 10 times as much. Do you let them know?.
What something is worth to you, may not be worth to them. Pay their asking price, its not an insult to them, and its a treasure to you

No...pay them what they are asking..... most yard sale items are either gonna sale or be donated to a place that can use it...there is a reason they want to get rid of it......

Azpir8king

The only time you might be obligated is if the person selling it said "I don't know what this sort of thing is worth. Do you know what they go for in an antique/specialty store?"

At that point do you lie or walk away?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The only time you might be obligated is if the person selling it said "I don't know what this sort of thing is worth. Do you know what they go for in an antique/specialty store?"

At that point do you lie or walk away?
The answer is obvious. You tell the truth. if they honestly do not know what they have, and ask you directly if you know it's value. Deception will come around and bite you when you least expect it.

The answer is obvious. You tell the truth. if they honestly do not know what they have, and ask you directly if you know it's value. Deception will come around and bite you when you least expect it.
I agree.... but if they have something marked for $5.00 and its worth $500.00 then you have just found a great deal..... one mans junk is another mans treasure

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
True. Provided they know that they are sell $500 of goods for $5. Some people just want rid of the item.

If they mark it for sale at $5.00 and I know it to be worth $500.00, you bet your sweet arse I am gonna give them $5.00 and walk away as fast as I can...... I do not feel obligated to find out if they know the value or not.... just the same if they have it marked for $500.00 and I buy it and find out it is only worth $5.00..... it is not their fault I paid $495.00 too much nor would it be wrong of me to make a $495.00 profit.

Mark Farrin

Not to cheat the value of anything from any person?? if the person has posted a price than that person has placed a value on the item and therefore you are not cheating any-one.

If the person asks what it is worth to you that is a different story and in my opinion. I would have to let the person know the value of what they have, they are selling items usually because they are in a condition to do so.

FF Sparky

If you feel obligated to pay more, it is up to you. Even offer double the what they are asking, and your still ahead of the game. It's like retail and wholesale. I work in a garage, we buy parts for one price and sell for another. Its business one way or another. If they are asking for one price, then that is all they want or need for it. As it was posted already here..."One mans junk is another mans treasure"