Young Masons

Laxguy38922

I am 23years old. I joined after seeing a couple different thing push me into freemasonry. My 2 favorite teachers and mentor in middle and high school were masons and I inspired to be like them. Then once I started in medical school and was volunteering at the Shriner's Hospital I came to see what being a Freemason was all about and asked for a petition. I am now Junior Warden of my lodge, a LuLu Shriner and in the Scottish Rite. Can't wait to join York Rite!

Ironhawg

If "young" refers to age, I probably do not qualify as I am almost 50. If "young" refers to being new to Masonry, I definitely qualify as I am a brand new EA. I saw how much Masonry meant to my dad and granddad. I was also a DeMolay in my youth and had the opportunity to spend time with some very fine Masons. Despite the fact that we were a bunch of chuckleheads who had more hormones than common sense, they were very patient with us. I want to become like those Masons. I want to become the best man I can possibly be. I also want to ensure that Freemasonry continues for generations to come.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I too am a brand new EA.
My aspirations are simple at this point. Learn, learn, & learn. Become the best man I can be using the Masonic Degrees as a measure of that success and then to take my talents and give of them freely. I don't know if I will get involved in any of the appendant bodies or not, time, money, and this, my Masonic, quest will tell.
In one short month I have 'met' more good men than I have in 10 years.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
What do young Masons want out of Masonry?
It's an interesting question. I think most young men in Masonry get much more than they thought they wanted from the Craft. For many, the Lodge may be the first place they were welcomed as an equal by people of all ages.

I know some men join for selfish reasons like making connections or personal gain. Most of them don't last. The ones that do last are those who make the effort to understand the lessons of Ritual and give more than they expect to receive.

What do you want out of Masonry?

WFo752594

A young Mason is a Mason who hasn't work in the craft for period of 7 years. Old Charges states that Master will carry his apprentice for at least 7years.
;)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I would like to hear from both, those that are young in age, lets say under 35-40, and those young in Masonry itself.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
The young men in my lodge, myself included, seem to have come to masonry for very similar reasons. That is, we were all looking to be part of something bigger than ourselves, we were looking to be part of something that worked to strengthen the community that our children live in and we were looking for a place to go and spend time with friends that was not a bar.

At least around here the other organizations all center around a private bar wherein you can drink cheaply. As a member of the Italian club in my city this was great when I was young and single. But while they offer a scholarship and such most of the members simply joined for access to the bar. Now that I am married and have children, I still want to get out of the house and "speak as men do," but I dont want to be focused on drinking. Masonry provided a place to go, men to associate with and the opportunity to for relief, charity and brotherly love. Plus it provided a link to my grandfather to me, and as such a greater understanding of what the craft meant to him.

Azpir8king

I joined at 47, Mostly to meet Nicholas Cage and see the treasure. Still waiting on that.

While I am waiting, I guess I can go ahead and become a better man, commiserate with like minded men and see what contributions I can make towards the greater good of my fellow man. I might also apply some of my talents to increasing the layman and potential candidates knowledge of what we do and why.

But Mostly to meet Nicholas Cage....oh, and see the treasure.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I joined at 47, Mostly to meet Nicholas Cage and see the treasure. Still waiting on that.

While I am waiting, I guess I can go ahead and become a better man, commiserate with like minded men and see what contributions I can make towards the greater good of my fellow man. I might also apply some of my talents to increasing the layman and potential candidates knowledge of what we do and why.

But Mostly to meet Nicholas Cage....oh, and see the treasure.
Me Too! (NO treasure? Dang, I was goin to share it!)