Afternoon and Hello to All

stswee

My name is Steve, Im glad i found this site, so I can begin my journey towards membership. Im looking forward to talking with Masons and non-Masons , so i can learn more about the mission.:)

stswee

To: BuckeyeJackson, thanks for the welcome. I havent contacted anyone to date, but then again its sunday. I will tomorrow. Today ive spent all my time reading on this forum and thru out the internet. A lot of what ive read has made me smile because so many of my ideals and thoughts are the same as the Masons, which is why I strongly beleive it what the Masons stand for.

stswee

Well... I was pleasently surprised this afternoon. Got an email from my Lodge Secretary, asking me to give him a call. We talked for about 30 min, he is sending me my application, and looking forward to our first meeting. Im happy that I got a response on Super Bowl Sunday, but even happier that we got the wheels in motion so soon.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Greetings and salutations. Congratulations on your first steps on a great journey.

jaya

Welcome to FMH. What you should expect it to meet with some members of the lodge and then give them your petition. Then it will be read in a lodge meeting. It will most likely have to sit over for a month (depends on jurisdiction) before any vote can take place. During that time you will meet with an investigation committee from the lodge. They will interview you and find out what kind of man you are. You will probably be surprised that you know some masons already. You should ask the IC any questions that you think of. They will tell you that they can not answer anything about ritual or a few other things. Much of that is so that the experience is the best for you. They will answer your questions honestly. I wish you luck on your journey.

stswee

Thank you for the welcome jaya. In talking to the secretary of the lodge im submitting my petition to Mt Rushmore 220, he stated the same things you did RE: the meeting, wait time, and that if I had any questions, feel free to ask. In the mean time, I am spending my time, researching the Freemasons, so that im more informed and educated on the history and mission of this organization. In doing so, Im looking forward to the whole experience.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Thank you for the welcome jaya. In talking to the secretary of the lodge im submitting my petition to Mt Rushmore 220, he stated the same things you did RE: the meeting, wait time, and that if I had any questions, feel free to ask. In the mean time, I am spending my time, researching the Freemasons, so that im more informed and educated on the history and mission of this organization. In doing so, Im looking forward to the whole experience.
My friend, in your study and research, please take care to avoid reading on any site that purports to expose the actual Masonic rituals-the degree work. The rituals are carefully crafted over centuries to teach the Masonic lessons with maximum impact to the student, the candidate.
If you are familiar with them in advance, they will seem lifeless and trite, much like the impact of "The Sixth Sense" being lost if you know in advance the 'status' of Dr. Malcolm Crowe [Bruce Willis].

Yes, the Masonic degrees are theatre. Not all theatre is for entertainment, and this is like many from the middle ages, moral theatre.

S&F

stswee

Thank you for the heads up. Ive mainly been reading the wiki about the Freemasons, I also read the South Dakota Grand Lodge website, and the Grand lodge in England. But in no way am I reading any anti-mason stuff. As for the rituals and degrees, im not interested in them until ive got the material in my hands, or Im being verbally taught about them. As I want the full understanding , not a 3rd party interpretation. Researching is one of my hobbies, and I feel the more I read about what I hope to soon call my Bretheren, the more I love what the Freemasons stand for and how I hope to better myself thru learning. Thanks for your guidance Bob Franks

stswee

Hello hopefully soon to be brothers, just a quick update on my petition. It seems that for my lodge there is a residency rule of a min of 6 months. I just moved to the area 5 months ago. I was told a vote was about to be made and one brother noticed my length of time, and I was told I needed to wait for March to be voted in. So... the wait continues,lol. In the meantime I continue to read, and have stayed in contact with my secretary to make sure things are ok. The 2nd thurs in march , they'll have another look.

jaya

That might be either by lodge or Grand Lodge. Here, a person must be a resident of the state for 6 months before they are able to petition. That is set by our Grand Lodge. If they had voted you in and taken you through the degrees, they might have messed things up for you. By that I mean that if you did not meet the requirements, residency being one of them, you might have had to start over or had to redo the degrees because the Grand Lodge did not find them valid the first time. It might actually have been a good thing for you to have this found out now rather than later. Rules can not be overlooked and must be enforced equally.

stswee

good morning folks,

I got the call last night from my secretary, that a commitee is being formed to interview me very soon. Im very much looking forward to starting to learn more about the freemasons now that ive completed the first step. Cant wait for the interview, and to start meeting those folks who i wil call brothers. ill keep you informed on how things go.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Congratulations, my friend. Make sure to ask any questions of the investigation committee that you may. A lot of jurisdictions like to have your wife or significant other present at the interview, so they may find out if you have their full support. You may want to ask the gentleman who calls to set your interview about this.

jaya

Congrats. As said above, be sure to ask any questions you might have. The investigation committee is for you to learn about freemasonry as it is for them to learn about you. They will answer any question as best they can. Relax and be yourself.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Y'know, I think SD doesn't really have a residency requirement...They just wanted the snow to clear!!! :D

S&F